Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well, you must have a marvelous sense of direction, because that is a pretty easy thing to do!

We do - both she and I LOVE maps and can just "read" or study them for hours. Now my husband....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:49 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I haven't been to Prague but I have been to Paris many times.

As others have already said, make an effort with speaking French. It will be appreciated!

If you plan to visit museums then buy the museum pass. That can help you bypass queues.

Paris is very walkable. If you do need public transport then the metro is best.

Be street smart with your belongings and try not to look like a tourist. Leave your passport and other valuables in the hotel safe and only carry one credit card and enough money for the day.

Generally, Europe does not like American Express cards and prefer Mastercard or Visa. It is quite common for stores and restaurants to not accept Amex.

Prices are 'what you see is what you get'. Unlike in the USA, tax is included so if an object is 20 Euros then that is what you pay.

You do not need to tip 15%-20% in restaurants and bars. The general rule of thumb is to round up. So, if your coffee/drink bill is 5.60 Euros then just leave 6. If your restaurant bill is 77 Euros then just leave 80. Nobody will object if you don't leave anything.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:17 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Buy a money belt if you can

Old 12-30-2016, 02:02 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I haven't been to Prague but I have been to Paris many times.

As others have already said, make an effort with speaking French. It will be appreciated!

If you plan to visit museums then buy the museum pass. That can help you bypass queues.

Paris is very walkable. If you do need public transport then the metro is best.

Be street smart with your belongings and try not to look like a tourist. Leave your passport and other valuables in the hotel safe and only carry one credit card and enough money for the day.

Generally, Europe does not like American Express cards and prefer Mastercard or Visa. It is quite common for stores and restaurants to not accept Amex.

Prices are 'what you see is what you get'. Unlike in the USA, tax is included so if an object is 20 Euros then that is what you pay.

You do not need to tip 15%-20% in restaurants and bars. The general rule of thumb is to round up. So, if your coffee/drink bill is 5.60 Euros then just leave 6. If your restaurant bill is 77 Euros then just leave 80. Nobody will object if you don't leave anything.
For men, that means no shorts or white athletic shoes.
For women, no track suits.

The average European dresses much better than we do on the streets. Casual elegance.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:26 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Buy a money belt if you can
nobody under the age of 60 does that any more.

I went to Europe many times, been to notorious Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Naples, Prague etc., and never lost a dime. And I always put my wallet and cellphone in the pockets. You just have to be a bit alarmed about your personal belongings when travelling. But I lived in China for 22 years so that probably helps.

A money belt would look ridiculous and screams "American tourists" (maybe Rick Steves recommended that thing).

Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
that's good advice. And don't forget distasteful flipflops.

Just don't be dressed like this

Old 12-30-2016, 03:22 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:

The average European dresses much better than we do on the streets. Casual elegance.
I usually wear jeans which are practical as I can put my wallet in the front pocket. Much safer.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I usually wear jeans which are practical as I can put my wallet in the front pocket. Much safer.
Jeans are fine. In fact, Europeans are crazy for them. Years ago a Russian offered to buy mine right off of me.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

My mug of tea just passed through my nasal cavity.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

LMAO OMG I dress nothing like that, and I don't wear flip flops at ALL. LOL I think as far as how I dress goes I will blend in pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel