U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:33 PM
 
1,843 posts, read 742,845 times
Reputation: 3027

Advertisements

I flew to 2 places alone for pleasure. No one's ever asked me when I was by myself. Why would anyone even ask? People travel alone all the time for work. I don't even pay attention to others to see if they're alone or with other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-27-2016, 12:39 PM
 
3,196 posts, read 1,816,796 times
Reputation: 8438
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I much prefer traveling alone, unless my companion is very independent.

I hate those arguments about what are "we" going to do next. My theory is you do whatever you want and I'll do the same -- if one of us wants to join the other or meet up somewhere along the way, terrific, but let's not hold each other back.
Lol

I think you mean for them not to hold YOU back.

You need a more compatible class of companion, someone who is actually interested in what YOU are interested in. Why have a companion at all if you don't want to do things with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
1,365 posts, read 1,445,937 times
Reputation: 2962
It's the same sort of people who "pity" people dining alone. I love going out to eat from time to time--checking out new restaurants, trying new dishes, or returning to old favorites. I don't need an escort, and the food tastes just as good when I am by myself as it does if I were with someone else or a hundred someone elses.

When I was younger I used to travel alone all the time. It's absolutely wonderful being able to do whatever you please whenever you please. I also find that it leads to a much richer series of interactions with locals, since you aren't traveling in your own little "bubble." Now that I am employed full time and in a serious relationship I tend to travel with my significant other. It is great in a lot of ways, but there are plenty of aspects of solo travel that I do miss.

I have a friend who has never left the country (and rarely left the region) because he "can't" go somewhere by himself. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
4,442 posts, read 4,298,008 times
Reputation: 5228
I did a semi solo trip to Argentina in June. However, I was meeting a woman there, and thankfully that worked out, at least for the week. She was my tour guide. My next vacation is this Friday, a New Year's Eve cruise by myself. I've always avoided traveling alone, and thus for the last 7 years missed out on a lot of opportunities. No more. I can't just sit around waiting for a woman to come into my life or a buddy who happens to want to join me to go. Its uncomfortable, but I'm hoping I get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM
 
Location: West Madison^WMHT
3,281 posts, read 3,132,700 times
Reputation: 4074
Thumbs up Solo travel is not that bad, especially when you can find a local woman to be your tour guide and translator.

I don't take cruises much any more, but when I did it was always with friends, even the 'singles' cruises price everything to favor people traveling together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
When I was younger I used to travel alone all the time. It's absolutely wonderful being able to do whatever you please whenever you please. I also find that it leads to a much richer series of interactions with locals, since you aren't traveling in your own little "bubble."
The downside to this is that if you spend more than a couple days in the same place it is easy to get into a rut unless you have somebody with you (or a local guide) to incentivize trying something different.

I spent 4 days in Reykjavik but ended up going back to the same bar three nights in a row because I liked their draft beer selection. The first time I visited Singapore I went most of a week without venturing outdoors during daylight because the humidity was so oppressive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I did a semi solo trip to Argentina in June. However, I was meeting a woman there, and thankfully that worked out, at least for the week. She was my tour guide. My next vacation is this Friday, a New Year's Eve cruise by myself. I've always avoided traveling alone, and thus for the last 7 years missed out on a lot of opportunities. No more. I can't just sit around waiting for a woman to come into my life or a buddy who happens to want to join me to go. Its uncomfortable, but I'm hoping I get over it.
When I travel outside north America I like to go for 10-40 days at a time, and I don't know many people who can take that much consecutive time off work, and those who do aren't somebody I'd want to spend every day with for weeks on end; even when I travel with friends I get my own hotel room whenever feasible.

I'll usually post on local-oriented forums looking for a local to act as a tour guide and translator. I don't get a lot of replies, I think most people take my request the wrong way.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 12-27-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,246,787 times
Reputation: 16497
Before married, I ONLY traveled solo because I despised traveling with people.

I stayed away from tours though, and met people when I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:05 PM
 
997 posts, read 579,806 times
Reputation: 2290
I have gone on many road trips, but never a cruise, or a vacation package type of deal.

There are many things that I prefer to do alone.

I don't especially like dining alone, but it depends on the type of restaurant. I do get a reaction of surprise or looks. That is why I don't feel comfortable in a place that is not casual.

I have heard people comment on the 'poor loners' such as myself. It wasn't to my face. I was slightly offended but I thought they were ignorant. They have to always have someone to hold their hand and they don't understand that there is a different way to be.

I have always been independent, even when I was married and had a family, I liked to do things by myself if I could.

I like doing things with other people also, but then I have to do things their way. It depends on the activity.

As for travel, it would depend on the type of travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
1,365 posts, read 1,445,937 times
Reputation: 2962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
The downside to this is that if you spend more than a couple days in the same place it is easy to get into a rut unless you have somebody with you (or a local guide) to incentivize trying something different.

I spent 4 days in Reykjavik but ended up going back to the same bar three nights in a row because I liked their draft beer selection. The first time I visited Singapore I went most of a week without venturing outdoors during daylight because the humidity was so oppressive.
I have never had that experience; I guess that depends on personality type. The only time I have found myself returning to the same places was when I lived abroad for months on end. Then I developed my favorite spot for a cheap plate of X local food that I would hit up every few weeks, my favorite cafe where I could go to chat with other English speakers for an hour or so once or twice a week, my favorite rotation of nightclubs, etc. But I can't say I ever returned to the same place multiple times in a row, nor can I think of a time when I visited the same place twice during a short trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 04:52 PM
 
Location: East coast-New England
1,638 posts, read 1,788,192 times
Reputation: 3538
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
.

Maybe if you don't go on tours where it is mostly nonsolo customers you won't get so many questioners.

You went to Puerto Vallarta, a magnet for couples and groups. Betcha if you backpacked on a nonguided camping trip, you would get few such rude questions. There might still be some, though. I have had the Aren't You So Brave Going By Yourself idiocy, occasionlly.
Oh PLEASSEEE Why should he have to do THAT? Are you really saying he should stick to something like backpacking out in the wild because other places will have couples?

That is absurd, and it is pretty much punishing the solo traveler. As if we don't get punished enough by the higher prices for trips, etc that we have to pay. A lot of the good stuff to do and exciting things to visit will have couples (and everyone else)

But the solo traveler shouldn't go because he's solo? It's not his fault that other people are annoying as heck. How about people just learning to mind their own business and not question strangers they see on trips.

God forbid people learn how to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2016, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,246,787 times
Reputation: 16497
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Oh PLEASSEEE Why should he have to do THAT? Are you really saying he should stick to something like backpacking out in the wild because other places will have couples?

That is absurd, and it is pretty much punishing the solo traveler. As if we don't get punished enough by the higher prices for trips, etc that we have to pay. A lot of the good stuff to do and exciting things to visit will have couples (and everyone else)

But the solo traveler shouldn't go because he's solo? It's not his fault that other people are annoying as heck. How about people just learning to mind their own business and not question strangers they see on trips.

God forbid people learn how to do that.

They were simply saying that a tour might not be the best way to travel for a solo traveler...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top