U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:05 PM

21 posts, read 11,026 times

Advertisements

How many of you travel solo? I have always been a solo traveler and enjoyed it...however, I have to constantly deal with really annoying people. It's just exasperating sometimes. To give you an example, I took a short vacation in the past few days to Puerto Vallarta. While I was there I signed up for a few tours. One was a sailing to some Islands in the Bay. Another was to a dinner cruise to a beach that included an interesting Mayan show. The third was an outdoor adventure (zipline, water rappelling etc.).

On EVERY SINGLE tour there were people who asked me why I was taking the tour by myself and felt sorry for me.

Comment #1 by a couple from New York: "Oh my, you are by yourself, it must be very lonely, don't you have any friends that you could've asked?" WTF?

Comment #2 by a pretty girl who I got talking to on the boat: "You are by yourself? On THIS boat? Oh wow, anyways good luck" after which she vanished

Comment #3 by the tour guides - "Oh! don't worry if you are by yourself, we can be your family"
Comment #4 by another couple - "How come you came by yourself? You are so brave!"
Comment #5 by a guy in a group - "That's pretty ballsy to come by yourself"

Lord have mercy! This is the first time I have got this many unsolicitied pity comments from others. Just so you know, we solo travelers choose to travel solo, we like it, we DO NOT need your pity!!! GEEZ!

Just to note that I was the ONLY solo traveler in all the 3 tours I took. How do you solo travelers handle such rude people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 PM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
It hasn't been a problem on my solo travels. I do both solo and coupled travel.

Maybe if you don't go on tours where it is mostly nonsolo customers you won't get so many questioners.

When I go solo, I mostly keep it solo...very little group stuff, and definitely not the kind of activities that attract the need-other-people-with-me types.

You went to Puerto Vallarta, a magnet for couples and groups. Betcha if you backpacked on a nonguided camping trip, you would get few such rude questions. There might still be some, though. I have had the Aren't You So Brave Going By Yourself idiocy, occasionlly.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,498,921 times
I love travelling solo, and used to do a lot more of it, but one of my personal strategies has always been to avoid the typical patterns and packages. One of my favorites used to be Greyhound's Ameripass program, whereby I was able to get up to three weeks of unlimited-use travel for no more than $450, and often less.

Unfortunately, Greyhound has since been acquired by Laidlaw, the same company which contracts for the operation of many school bus fleets. The fare structure no longer allows for "open-travel" passes, and any change of plans on a prepaid fare now results in a mandatory re-ticketing fee.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:36 PM

21 posts, read 11,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You went to Puerto Vallarta, a magnet for couples and groups. Betcha if you backpacked on a nonguided camping trip, you would get few such rude questions. There might still be some, though. I have had the Aren't You So Brave Going By Yourself idiocy, occasionlly.

Agreed, I don't do these types of trips often but this was a quick 4 day trip and I just wanted to do some activities in the shortest time. The thing is don't people realize that putting other people on the spot, especially putting a negative spin on their situation is extremely a rude thing to do? Are people so self absorbed that they don't realize this? Or do they do this on purpose to make themselves feel so much better - oh look at all the friends and family I have got?

Old 12-26-2016, 11:20 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,312,356 times
Ha ha. Reminds me of my very first vacation to the Caribbean - alone. Two men acquaintances here at home, when i told them I was going alone said something on the order of "well, you know what they say about women who travel alone..." Well, I had never heard, 'whatever' it was that 'they' said about women's who travel alone. Had a great time. Sure, there were men who 'hit on me', but no more than here at home. (Shrug)

Old 12-27-2016, 04:59 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
I have made a few solo trips and I don't recall encountering rude people.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:32 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,468,803 times
I went on a cruise by myself for my 35th birthday and while I LOVE traveling alone, I hated being on that cruise alone....I don't particularly like cruises anyway, and while they seated me at a table with other women who were traveling, it was still boring. I got off in each port (Cozumel and Playa del Carmen) and roamed around by myself, even finding a scuba shop who would take me out for two dives, but at the end of each day, I did not want to get back on that boat.

I didn't encounter rude people, however.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:26 AM

29,345 posts, read 26,295,932 times
I much prefer traveling alone, unless my companion is very independent.

I hate those arguments about what are "we" going to do next. My theory is you do whatever you want and I'll do the same -- if one of us wants to join the other or meet up somewhere along the way, terrific, but let's not hold each other back.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:47 AM

187 posts, read 129,829 times
I'm an avid solo traveler. I think people are just curious and maybe even a little jealous. I don't allow their questions and comments to phase me. Just answer with a big smile "Yes! I'm traveling alone, isn't that wonderful!"
I have been befriended by others who may have "felt sorry" for me but we ended up becoming good friends. they are just trying to be nice.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4111 View Post
Agreed, I don't do these types of trips often but this was a quick 4 day trip and I just wanted to do some activities in the shortest time. The thing is don't people realize that putting other people on the spot, especially putting a negative spin on their situation is extremely a rude thing to do? Are people so self absorbed that they don't realize this? Or do they do this on purpose to make themselves feel so much better - oh look at all the friends and family I have got?
I think most of them probably honestly can't imagine themselves enjoying a trip without friends or family. The question is still rude, regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel