U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,584,532 times

Advertisements

My elderly parents are going on a 7 day cruise in late April. I'm looking into travel health insurance for them. Any suggestions? Mom sent me a little blurb on what Carnival offers, and it looks more like travel insurance which also may cover treatment on board the ship. However, I don't think this will work in case the illness is serious enough to disembark and seek treatment at a local hospital. Therefore, I'm looking for a true travel health insurance policy, and would appreciate any suggestion.

My folks are 78 and 79. No major health issues, but you should be ready for a medical emergency at this age, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM

1,910 posts, read 959,043 times
We had the travel insurance that Carnival offers on our last cruise. My boyfriend became extremely ill and had several hours in the infirmary on IV antibiotics, along with chest xray, blood and urine tests, IV glucose, etc. He had to return every day for a couple of hours to get more IV medications and glucose (they put an IV port in his hand for ease of care). His care was excellent! The doctor and nurses spoke very good English and were very kind. We were given a complete medical report to take to his doctor when we got back.

I was afraid that they were going to ask us to leave the ship at a port and make me take him to a hospital but the doctor assured me that he would take care of him on the ship. I was so grateful and relieved.

When I inquired with the trip insurance company, I was told that the claim had to be submitted to Medicare first and when that was denied (which it would be automatically because it happened outside of US jurisdictional waters), it needed to be submitted to his secondary and if THAT was denied, then it was to be submitted to the cruise insurance company. The people at the trip insurance company were very helpful.

It turned out that his secondary paid all but $7.25 of it (who knows what the uncovered $7.25 was for but I wasn't quibbling at that point). So, you might want to check with your parents' Medicare supplement company (if they have one) and see what they cover. As I said earlier, Medicare won't cover any part of it.

The amazing thing was that even after all that care and time in the infirmary and tests and medications, the bill only came to around $600. $600!!! If we had gone to the ER in the US with a hangnail, it would have been $2000 at least.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM

15,069 posts, read 18,997,066 times
They are going to have to deal with previous existing condition exclusions unless they booked very recently (like within 14-30 days.0

I buy trip insurance to cover out of the country medical expenses and evacuation. I don't really give a rip about lost luggage and trip delay coverage. I insure for catastrophic expenses. That means I never buy what the cruise lines offer.

Look at insuremytrip.com and compate.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:41 PM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
I suggest looking into travelguard (backed by AIG) travel health insurance.

https://www.travelguard.com/

Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
We were on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and a crew member was taken seriously ill. A Coast Guard helicopter picked him up at sea and took him back to Florida. They picked him up in a basket and winched him up to the hovering chopper.

It was an MSC cruise line ship.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
I have been on a lot of cruises and I have never purchased their insurance because it's just too expensive. There are many different carriers that offer travel insurance. Just Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or