U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 05:34 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though not all Delta routes sell Basic Economy tickets, so it could be a perfectly normal deep discount S,U,L,T fare ticket. IIRC, the Basic Economy tickets also have some sort of giant pop-up explaining the restrictions for that fare type.
On one of the recent threads discussing the new United Basic Economy (I think it's the one in the Aviation subforum), the poster with the username SAAN says he recently purchased two Delta economy tickets on Expedia for an upcoming vacation he and his wife are planning - and to his dismay, those tickets have turned out to be Basic Economy. He said that he wasn't warned before he completed the purchase, and if he'd known the tickets were Basic Economy fares, he wouldn't have bought them. So while Deta's website has the giant pop-up warning, it appears that at least some of the OTAs don't (at least not yet).
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:53 PM

7,981 posts, read 11,665,473 times
I compared prices and times on Kayak and Travelocity and then booked on Delta's website.

I don't remember some HUGE RED THIS IS ECONOMY warning. There was something but I was unaware of this new parsing out of every little thing.

Its the Economy ticket, price seems about the same as last year when I could reserve a seat etc. (of course my memory isn't so great) So....less for not having a price raise I guess.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:18 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I compared prices and times on Kayak and Travelocity and then booked on Delta's website.

I don't remember some HUGE RED THIS IS ECONOMY warning. There was something but I was unaware of this new parsing out of every little thing.
If you booked on Delta's website and didn't get a big pop-up before you booked your ticket, you got a regular economy ticket, not their new, more restricted Basic Economy ticket. So you should be OK - everything's essentially the same for you this year as it was last year. But now that you know about this new Basic Economy stuff the airlines are pulling, you'll know to be on the lookout for it the next time you book a ticket. It's not a bad ticket if you don't care about things like being able to change ticket dates or where you sit, but it's not a ticket you'd want to book by accident thinking you were getting more then it offers in terms of service.

Unfortunately something like 40% of airline passengers prioritize low price above absolutely everything else, so listing a very low base price ticket and then nickel-and-diming the passenger with a ton of extra fees for amenities sells more tickets than charging a higher fare with the same amenities included in the base ticket price. Plus, the airlines have figured out that some people care more about certain features (like sitting in an aisle seat, or boarding the plane first) than others do and are willing to pay more to insure they get those preferences met, so the airlines are making every attempt to monetize those passenger preferences. In some ways it's nice, as you're only paying for the features you actually use, but it definitely makes buying a ticket a lot more complicated than it was years ago.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
For readers booking Intra-euro region, the discount carriers usually have a package that allows free changes, bags, seat assignments and early boarding. It was about $12 -$20 extra on Ryanair, so was worth it to me.

I always keep a bunch of flights booked on SWA. Free bags, free changes + I prefer Quick and ez boarding. Get on and GO! USA flights are short enough to endure the variety of potential snafus.

SWA was very nice to me this week as I took 2 consecutive bumps and walked away with $1400 in travel credits. That will help book some more flights!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:50 AM

15,028 posts, read 21,748,212 times
The $150 change fee isn't all you'll pay. A few months ago I was on a business trip flying American. My father passed away and I needed to change my flight home. The calculation to change my ticket was over $600. I had to pay the change fee and the difference in price of the original ticket.

It was insane. Even if I presented the death certificate they only waived a certain amount. It was cheaper for me to buy a new ticket.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:17 AM

7,981 posts, read 11,665,473 times
Wow that sucks. The airlines get all this cred for providing a compassionate option but the public doesn't realize that they actually don't!

Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The $150 change fee isn't all you'll pay. A few months ago I was on a business trip flying American. My father passed away and I needed to change my flight home. The calculation to change my ticket was over $600. I had to pay the change fee and the difference in price of the original ticket.

It was insane. Even if I presented the death certificate they only waived a certain amount. It was cheaper for me to buy a new ticket.
Funerals / medical needs are a good time to use mileage tickets.
Short notice is too crazy expensive.

I frequently give miles to people needing emergency travel. It is important to them to be able to go without cost.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:18 PM

4,419 posts, read 1,646,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
For readers booking Intra-euro region, the discount carriers usually have a package that allows free changes, bags, seat assignments and early boarding. It was about $12 -$20 extra on Ryanair, so was worth it to me.

I always keep a bunch of flights booked on SWA. Free bags, free changes + I prefer Quick and ez boarding. Get on and GO! USA flights are short enough to endure the variety of potential snafus.

SWA was very nice to me this week as I took 2 consecutive bumps and walked away with $1400 in travel credits. That will help book some more flights!
What exactly were the "2 consecutive bumps"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or