U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,689,422 times

Advertisements

So...most ??? airlines charge 150.00 to change a ticket right. Except for Southwest?

So if you were feeling just a little unsure about a trip would you fly Southwest
even if it were more expensive than other airlines as long as it was less than 150?

Still going to have to pay an difference in fares for different dates.

at first I thought you could buy insurnce if you where worried about changing
the dates but now I'm confused by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM

9,136 posts, read 17,194,651 times
I book mostly SW, Cost wise they are mostly cheaper most of the time with AA UA DL. (But just about all SW require a connection, But when I compare there connection flights with AA/UA/DL) they are close in price.

Plus two "free" check bags, and If I need to change/cancel I have a credit.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,193,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
So...most ??? airlines charge 150.00 to change a ticket right. Except for Southwest?

So if you were feeling just a little unsure about a trip would you fly Southwest
even if it were more expensive than other airlines as long as it was less than 150?
That's what I would do. If it's likely that you'll need to change the dates of your trip, that cost needs to be figured into the ticket price.

Quote:
at first I thought you could buy insurnce if you where worried about changing
the dates but now I'm confused by that.
Travel insurance isn't going to cover the cost of changing the date on your ticket unless the need to change it was caused by a covered emergency (such as a sudden serious illness).

Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,552,880 times
No. I'd fly who I normally fly, which is Delta and JetBlue. Let's keep in mind that all airlines have a free 24-hour cancellation period for flights originating from/in the United States. While Southwest's free change policy is nice...if you're that unsure about a trip that you'd book with them just to have that, then well maybe you shouldn't be flying.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:27 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,689,422 times
I just booked with Delta (SW was 50.00 or so more) but that was for the cheapest seats and worst times apparently. At the end of check out there was the choice of some sort of.....flexibility option, don't know the details, for 23.00. I opted out but would like to know more, 23.00 isn't bad but I wasn't sure I understood the details of what it provided.

I have to look up Delta's baggage policies. I like to check one bag.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I just booked with Delta (SW was 50.00 or so more) but that was for the cheapest seats and worst times apparently. At the end of check out there was the choice of some sort of.....flexibility option, don't know the details, for 23.00. I opted out but would like to know more, 23.00 isn't bad but I wasn't sure I understood the details of what it provided.
NEVER book a ticket if you don't understand all the terms and conditions of carriage!!!! If you really did book the cheapest Delta option, you have probably bought a Basic Economy ticket, and those are not only non-refundable but completely non-changeable. You CANNOT change the date on that ticket, not for any amount of money, and if you can't fly on that date you'll lose the entire value of the ticket!

Under US law, you can cancel the purchase within 24 hours of booking the ticket. I STRONGLY recommend that you do so, since you seem to have no idea of what you've actually purchased and (given that you're the sort of person who thinks $23 is a significant amount of money) you'll be very unhappy if you end up losing hundreds of dollars because you played it cheap and lost the gamble. And don't book a new ticket until you understand what you are doing!

Old 12-29-2016, 01:04 PM

Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out, OP, the Southwest ticket (at $50 more than the Delta ticket) was not only more flexible (as it allows free date changes), it was actually THE EXACT SAME PRICE! Delta, like all the major US airlines except Southwest, charges a checked-bag fee of $25 per bag each way. So if you're checking a bag, you need to add $50 to the cost of your Delta ticket. So what did going with Delta instead of Southwest get you, other than the possibility of losing all the money you've spent on the ticket if you need to change your trip dates?

You're decision epitomizes the expression "penny wise and dollar foolish" (and also shows just why all the airlines are resorting to add-on-fees for everything; it makes the tickets look cheaper, and to a lot of people that's the bottom line).

Old 12-29-2016, 01:34 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,020,226 times
I always fly S.W. unless I'm going somewhere they don't fly. I have the S.W. Visa too so I can rack up the miles!!

Old 12-29-2016, 02:13 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,552,880 times
Quote:

I have to look up Delta's baggage policies. I like to check one bag.
As mentioned, you will be paying $25 to check the bag with Delta each way. So really you were better off booking with Southwest.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,216,077 times
just wanted to say good discussion here-
some of us have to book tickets with unreliable dates and lots of last minute possible changes (like, for ex when dealing with a screwy ex for child visitation trips)...

its helpful to hear the options....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or