U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 PM

3,989 posts, read 2,547,661 times

Advertisements

I like the train you really see the sights as the train rolls along and you can walk around. Buy your tickets early for a reduced price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,633 posts, read 39,998,659 times
Train for most part, find a few 'hub cities' and stay awhile. Venture out via bike / bus to local places.

USA is really car centric, as you can get STUCK and have no public transit. Most National Parks are not on bus or train routes. Not so EZ to rent cars at age 21. (Thus a road trip via cheap car is not a bad plan)

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-02-2017 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:43 PM

636 posts, read 280,381 times
I've taken Greyhound across the US twice.
Never the train - but I've taken plenty of trains outside of the US.

There's a lot of comments along the lines of "There will be degenerates on the bus". Well, there are certainly some "interesting" people on the bus. I've sat next to, and chatted with, plenty of people I almost certainly wouldn't have encountered otherwise - that's part of the fun of it. There were some uncomfortable situations - but nothing with any long-term negative consequences. Lots more positive experiences. Most of the uncomfortable situations even turned into good stories over time. It depends on the type of person that you are.

There's some comments along the lines of "you won't be able to sleep on the bus".
That depends on you. I can't sleep on busses. Some people can.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anything about your exact plan. I hope you're not just going to get in the bus on one coast and get off a few days later on the other coast. I'd advise taking some time to stop in between. For 2 reasons.
First - there's a lot of interesting things to see and people to meet
Second - staying overnight in a few places will give you a chance to sleep, clean up, and eat some decent food (the bus station food is crap).

I'd imagine that a benefit of the train would be the scenery. I don't recall much beautiful scenery from the bus.

Have a fun trip.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,784,723 times
Oh, I forgot...look into Green Tortoise buses...they were a great way to go during my college years, bu that was long ago. They still exist, but I think mostly do tours now...check them out.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:50 AM

1,182 posts, read 480,505 times
Green Tortoise, as well as its competitor Adventure Bus, are best for itineraries linking various national parks and the like (I've used the latter successfully and highly recommend them). They're not cheap, but well worth it if you can afford it; the latter company, at least, allows for getting out and hiking and not just looking out the bus window at things. The former might also, but haven't had experience with them.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:08 AM

402 posts, read 204,124 times
Craigslist has a section for shared drives. You might be able to find someone you can connect with that's going to a place you like. The usual precautions about riding with strangers, but I think you'd be able to suss someone out ahead of time.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:34 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,441,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Forty years ago I rode the dog on a $25 unlimited seven day ticket.
I had a GRAND time of it too.

Those times also included long layovers in the middle of nowhere and ocassionally an overbooked bus with smelly people
but not all that much really especially once I was west of Chicago. It also included all night poker games and drinking
and carousing with women (think about how small that bathroom is!)

Had my bicycle in a box below with some camping gear and ended the bus ride from
(Baltimore to San Francisco) with about three months meandering down Pacific Coast Highway.
I had a GRAND time of that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjOFjriYnv8
Wow! How old were you when you did that? That sounds like quite the adventure. I rode Greyhound on three separate occasions -- all from Southern California to Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and it was an experience. I was a teenager during all three trips, and it was both fun and stressful; fun because of the adventure and meeting some people, but stressful because of the cramped seats, an inability to sleep well on the bus, and some of the people were downright weird, smelly, and probably dangerous, too!

Renting a car is much better.

But I have yet to take Amtrak (and I am considering taking it from LA to NYC).

Flying is obviously quick and easy, but I have a fear of flying.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:16 PM

28,521 posts, read 62,235,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Wow! How old were you when you did that? That sounds like quite the adventure.
I was 18.

1977 was a different world

Old 01-26-2017, 04:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,965,936 times
My family have taken a great many Amtrak vacations, because my wife has a phobia of highways. Don't expect the trains to be on time (unless you're boarding at the start of the route). Further into the route, they routinely get delayed having to stop to give priority to freight trains, and are often several hours late. Dial 1-800-USA-RAIL to verify if your expected train will be on time. Many of the smaller-town stations are kept locked, except for a short period daily around when the trains come and an attendant is on duty. You may find yourself outside waiting in freezing weather in a dark, scary neighborhood. And on our last trip, we were seated right behind an overflowing toilet. I never liked the scratchy fabric seats, so we bring small pillows.

Megabus and Bolt bus are two of the so-called "Chinatown bus" companies which for the past several years, have offered just unbelievably low fares - especially when booked ahead - but their drivers have less training than Greyhound, with safety standards being criticized by Federal safety authorities. I seem to recall reading last year that some of them were ordered shut down, or at least cut-back. They operate especially between the major northeastern cities.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:08 AM

115 posts, read 234,547 times
I am taking the Greyhound across the county beginning Tuesday and blogging the whole experience. It is something I have always wanted to do, long before "blogging" existed, but I figured that I might as well expose what it's like to others who have thought about doing it.

I leave from Baltimore, and will end up in Portland, OR. Over 3,400 miles.

Not sure if I am allowed to link, but you can follow along at www.instagram.com/dennis_pick if this is something interesting to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or