U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Lancashire, England
2,417 posts, read 4,109,132 times
Reputation: 6709

Advertisements

I spent 5 nights and 4 full days in Slovenia in February, 2010, staying at Medvode, north of Ljubljana. It was a magical visit. The first day it snowed heavily at first, but this turned out to be good for photography as I'd gone to Lake Bled. It has the only island in Slovenia, with a monastery, which you can visit; a boat will row you over. The white on the water is ice.





Then I stopped at Radovljica.





Day 2 I spent in Ljubljana. Typical pastry bought from a street vendor.





A view from the castle.





Slovenian pizza.





Day 3, I took a bus to Piran, on the Adriatic coast.





Walking through the old town was an amazing experience.








Day 4, I went to Škofja Loka in the morning.








More pastries!





I think the filling was apple.








Back to Medvode, from where I went on a long walk into the country.


Golo Brdo.





Medvode, with a stunning background.








Village church.





These are supposedly unique to Slovenia, used for drying hay etc.











I had a wonderful time in Slovenia, hope to return for at least one more visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Reputation: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I hope your tour group is taking you to Pvitlice lakes, that was my favorite part.

Well actually my favorite part was a neighborhood called Rastoke, tucked underneath a curved bridge just north of the small town of Slunj. It is like Pvitlice lakes meets hansel and Gretel.

That is one advantage of traveling without a set itinerary, when I stumbled across rastoke, it wasn't too early to stop for the night so I found a zimmer frei.

I guess it would help to know what other cities/places are on your itinerary.
As this may be our only trip to Croatia, we have a pretty ambitious plan. We are going to do a big loop, starting in the Istrian Peninsula, heading south along the coast to Zadar and staying overnight in Split, then on to Dubrovnik. We base in Dubrovnik for a few days, with a day trip scheduled for Montenegro. After that, we swing back north, heading through the country to Zagreb, before leaving Croatia for a day in Slovenia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 PM
 
5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
Reputation: 4922
Wow! great photos.

If I were to live in Slovenia it would be in Škofja Loka. I lovelovelove the old town but it is a real city and doesn't seem particularly touristy until you notice the bus parking spaces. I also got some shots of the midievil old town rooftops with the apartment blocks in the background.

I was going to recommend the quarter round pastry in the photo below Škofja Loka. To my recollection the filling was a very fluffy cheese. Did we visit the same bakery by the Church?

MyTarge, if you are returning from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, then Pvitlice lakes are on your way. Though you might not have time as you would be traveling on slower secondary roads.

One day in Slovenia? I guess that gives you barely enough time to see Ljubliana. Which is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM
 
Location: On the road
5,953 posts, read 2,895,036 times
Reputation: 11397
Great photos BereniceUK, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Lancashire, England
2,417 posts, read 4,109,132 times
Reputation: 6709
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If I were to live in Slovenia it would be in Škofja Loka. I lovelovelove the old town but it is a real city and doesn't seem particularly touristy until you notice the bus parking spaces. I also got some shots of the midievil old town rooftops with the apartment blocks in the background.

I was going to recommend the quarter round pastry in the photo below Škofja Loka. To my recollection the filling was a very fluffy cheese. Did we visit the same bakery by the Church?

MyTarge, if you are returning from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, then Pvitlice lakes are on your way. Though you might not have time as you would be traveling on slower secondary roads.

One day in Slovenia? I guess that gives you barely enough time to see Ljubliana. Which is worth it.

I got that long shot of Škofja Loka from a church which I saw up on top of a hill, the walk there was well worthwhile.


You're probably right about the pastry filling being cheese, I had apple in my head for some reason. Can't recall exactly where I bought them, but Slovenian pastries are yummy!


Overall, I found Slovenia to be a wonderful, unspoilt country, small enough to be able to get around by bus. For any skiers, skiing is the national sport. If I could live in one European country, other than the UK, I'd go for Slovenia; mind, things might have changed since all the asylum seekers began crossing to that part of Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
 
5,694 posts, read 8,764,670 times
Reputation: 4922
There are plenty of apple pastries - no doubt that's why you are thinking apple.

Not meaning to be nitpicky, though if you notice there's white cheese visible in the first pastry. Anyway, it's all good - let's have some of both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,395 posts, read 21,953,184 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
There are plenty of apple pastries - no doubt that's why you are thinking apple.

Not meaning to be nitpicky, though if you notice there's white cheese visible in the first pastry. Anyway, it's all good - let's have some of both!
Those quarter cut pastries are called burek. The one on the photo is definitely cottage cheese filling. They also do one with minced meat, both are addictive.

OP, I just remembered the island of Biševo, with the famous blue grotto. It is a sublime experience and regrettably I have not yet seen it in person. It's on the list though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Reputation: 2079
I think I need to start working out and lose some weight. I may be eating a lot of really great food on this trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2017, 07:51 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Reputation: 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I spent 5 nights and 4 full days in Slovenia in February, 2010, staying at Medvode, north of Ljubljana. It was a magical visit. The first day it snowed heavily at first, but this turned out to be good for photography as I'd gone to Lake Bled. It has the only island in Slovenia, with a monastery, which you can visit; a boat will row you over. The white on the water is ice.





Then I stopped at Radovljica.





Day 2 I spent in Ljubljana. Typical pastry bought from a street vendor.





A view from the castle.





Slovenian pizza.





Day 3, I took a bus to Piran, on the Adriatic coast.





Walking through the old town was an amazing experience.








Day 4, I went to Škofja Loka in the morning.








More pastries!





I think the filling was apple.








Back to Medvode, from where I went on a long walk into the country.


Golo Brdo.





Medvode, with a stunning background.








Village church.





These are supposedly unique to Slovenia, used for drying hay etc.











I had a wonderful time in Slovenia, hope to return for at least one more visit.
Your pictures of Slovenia are awesome. I thought I would try posting a few pics that I took on our two shore excursions in Croatia while on our cruise a few years ago.

This one is the Dalmatian coast near Dubrovnik.
[IMG]htthttp://www.city-data.com/forum/members/mytarge13-1600018-albums-2015-eastern-mediterranean-cruise-pic126519-more-coast-croatia.jpgp://[/IMG]

This is the harbor in Dubrovnik itself. We had a great meal at a little restaurant right on the harbor front.


We fell in love with Croatia from the two short stops on our cruise which made deciding to take this trip so easy. Now I am looking forward to our time in Slovenia almost as much as the time in Croatia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2017, 04:12 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
1,319 posts, read 1,183,753 times
Reputation: 2079
Sorry, this is the Dalmaitian coastline picture that did not work in the earlier post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top