U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:23 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Train in North America is pathetic, third world like. Actually, plenty of third world countries have better train service.
Does this make you feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 01:24 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't.
You can't stay in France forever. Unless there is something you aren't telling us.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:14 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,786,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is possible to take an Amtrak train from NYC to Toronto. The crossing point is the Niagara Station. Recently I took a train from the Niagara, NY station to NYC and the train was delayed there for quite a while before the Niagara passengers were allowed to board due to the unusually long time it took U.S. Customs officials to go through the train.
I actually wasn't aware, and never looked into taking a train into Canada. I'm in Massachusetts, and it takes about 5 hours or so to drive to Montreal from where I live. But id like to go to a different part of Canada, cause I've been to Montreal a few times now already.

I would definitely look into the NYC train to Toronto!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
I actually wasn't aware, and never looked into taking a train into Canada. I'm in Massachusetts, and it takes about 5 hours or so to drive to Montreal from where I live. But id like to go to a different part of Canada, cause I've been to Montreal a few times now already.

I would definitely look into the NYC train to Toronto!
It will take 13-14 hours, and at a price of $150 one way to cover 470 miles.
Enjoy your beautiful trip.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:49 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,521,893 times
A Navy friend from Vermont stated he got out of the Navy in early 60's, then changed his mind and re-enlisted. His orders were to an aircraft carrier in Bremerton Washington.

He stated he crossed into Canada and rode the train from east to west entirely on the Canadian side and had a great experience.

A shame that this route no longer exists.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:38 PM

7,641 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A Navy friend from Vermont stated he got out of the Navy in early 60's, then changed his mind and re-enlisted. His orders were to an aircraft carrier in Bremerton Washington.

He stated he crossed into Canada and rode the train from east to west entirely on the Canadian side and had a great experience.

Really? I was talking to a couple from Saskatchewan lately and they said the transcontinental route was still in operation.

I guess I should go see for myself.

ETA: But maybe they were talking about this:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-ou...es-and-pacific

Old 04-19-2017, 12:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

No, it still exists. You change trains at a couple of places, and two provinces are left out, but it is possible to take a train across Canada.

Let's say you want to start in Vancouver, BC. You board the Toronto-bound train in Vancouver ("The Canadian"), and over the next three days, you pass through Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and a whole bunch of Canadian Shield country before you get to southern Ontario and Toronto.

In Toronto, you board a train bound for Montreal ("The Lakeshore," if memory serves).

In Montreal, you board the Halifax-bound train ("The Ocean").

And when you get to Halifax, you've crossed eight provinces of Canada, with the exception of Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland; and you've crossed five time zones. It's taken you about five or six days (depending on schedules), but you've seen a lot. I've done it; it is a fascinating trip, and one I'd happily recommend to anybody.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM

1,804 posts, read 806,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Really? I was talking to a couple from Saskatchewan lately and they said the transcontinental route was still in operation.

I guess I should go see for myself.

ETA: But maybe they were talking about this:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-ou...es-and-pacific
The cost is prohibitive.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:44 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The cost is prohibitive.
It is and it isn't. If you're looking for a way to get someplace on "The Canadian," it is; but if you're looking for a "rail cruise," then you might like it. Cost is much more than air between Vancouver and Toronto, but there is no rush, no hurry; VIA will get you there, more or less on time, like a sea cruise. Book a sleeper, and meals are included. I note from the link that VIA now has three classes on The Canadian, the lower two of which deny access to the Park Car at certain hours, so that top-class passengers can enjoy a complimentary cocktail hour, or somesuch, before attending their reservations in the dining car. I can only conclude that The Canadian is now a rail cruise, and you'll pay an according fare, as you would on a sea cruise.

"The Lakeshore" is, as it has always been, frequent downtown-to-downtown service between Ottawa/Montreal and Toronto, and stops up and down the line (Port Hope, Belleville, Kingston, etc.). Fares are higher than the bus, but lower than air, and food/booze is available for purchase.

"The Ocean" is a cross between the two above. It's an overnighter, like The Canadian, but people use it to get places, like The Lakeshore. When I rode it out of Montreal, it was full; by the time we got to Halifax, only one-third of the passengers who boarded in Montreal were left. Again, reasonably-priced, but meals in the dining car, and drinks/snacks cost extra.

In the end, GoodHombre, I'd disagree that a cross-Canada trip by rail is cost-prohibitive--some wealthy customers who might otherwise take a sea cruise might be willing to give it a try. But for us average folks just trying to get someplace, you are correct: such a trip across the country certainly is. It's a shame, as Canada was built on the railway, and average Canadians can no longer afford to ride the rails that built Canada. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do coast-to-coast before VIA got into the cruise business.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 04-25-2017 at 02:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or