Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times

Advertisements

Drive to the West Coast of Florida...Sarasota is fantastic! So is St. Petersburg! Totally different feel from the Atlantic Coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Gulf Coast locations are very good. Clearwater Beach, Candelesi island, Duedin Beach loved it very much.

But you are set on the keys!!! try a day or 2 at Bahia Honda State Park, in Big Pine Key ,the best beach area in the keys! nring a beach umbrella and a cooler, and plenty of sunscreen.

Sunset parties in key west are so cool!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Drive to the West Coast of Florida...Sarasota is fantastic! So is St. Petersburg! Totally different feel from the Atlantic Coast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Gulf Coast locations are very good. Clearwater Beach, Candelesi island, Duedin Beach loved it very much.

But you are set on the keys!!! try a day or 2 at Bahia Honda State Park, in Big Pine Key ,the best beach area in the keys! nring a beach umbrella and a cooler, and plenty of sunscreen.

Sunset parties in key west are so cool!
We have previously spent a good bit of time on the West Coast. It's one of my favorite places to go, but we decided to switch it up a bit and do the trip through the Keys. We will definitely check out Bahia Honda Sate Park - I've heard great things about it.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Get some yummy Cuban food when you arrive to set the tone for the trip! We were just in south Florida for a week on business and some folks that live down there took us to a La Carretta restaurant and it was some really good stuff! We're heading back down that way in February and I'm already looking forward to grabbing some more of that!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
I've been to La Carretta like 200 times born and raised in Miami. We're heading down for a week Sunday and I'll be taking bf there. He's never been to Miami nor had real Cuban food

Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
[quote=kapikap;46810869]Gulf Coast locations are very good. Clearwater Beach, Candelesi island, Duedin Beach loved it very much.

For these you would want to fly into Tampa or Clearwater-St Pete.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
If bumper to bumper traffic is your idea of a good time you'll enjoy it.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
I'm partial to Sanibel Captiva and Marco islands myself. It's home but going home to visit it a real vacation for us.

South Seas, Sundial, or Sanibel Harbor resort would be my suggestions.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If bumper to bumper traffic is your idea of a good time you'll enjoy it.
Well, for us it's all about the journey. I've heard traffic can be problematic, but I'm hoping what we get to see along the way is worth it. We plan to make several stops and we are going to stay in Marathon for 2 nights so we won't be in the car the entire time. I downloaded a travel book on the Keys and so far it's given me a lot of good information!

Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well, for us it's all about the journey. I've heard traffic can be problematic, but I'm hoping what we get to see along the way is worth it. We plan to make several stops and we are going to stay in Marathon for 2 nights so we won't be in the car the entire time. I downloaded a travel book on the Keys and so far it's given me a lot of good information!
There are wonderful natural things to see and I loved that part of it. DH, who did all of the driving, was not a very happy man and that put a damper on it. All across the panhandle, down the west coast - a small respite zipping across Alligator Alley - then down to the Keys and back up the east side was like being in a traffic jam.

Key West was also elbow to elbow in people. I don't want so many people along on vacation with me. You see too many things you don't want to see!

Glad we did it and won't do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel