U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times

Advertisements

true, in the winter, you plan your options, then check weather as you depart. Different routes may be better choice at time of departure.

Unfortunately the Cascades are predicted to be stormy as of Saturday noon. (that too can change, but is usually pretty accurate.

When the going gets too rough for your own comfort,, get off the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 07:42 PM

1,722 posts, read 601,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
It's not just snow over Siskiyou Summit (CA/OR border) that can pose problems; you can often get icy conditions on I-5 south of the Siskiyous (from Redding on north) and on some of the low summits in Oregon between Grants Pass and the Willamette Valley. Especially in the evening and early morning, I've had real hair-raising times with black ice (which as you can surmise is pretty invisible) in these areas, and I've done this route in winter many times.
Thank you kindly for your reply, Gardy. I'll keep an eye out for the TWC. Good reminder. I haven't watched TV in 25-yrs, so it never occurs to me to do so. I don't usually leave 'til after rush hour traffic & get off the road by 4pm to avoid dark, cold, traffic, so I should be okay with early morning icy conditions. Yes, black ice is a bear... experienced a lot of it in Boston.

Thank you for the map & route suggestion. I'm in CA 'til Mon (my cold got the better of me), so I'll have time to look over your suggestions.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
They are forecasting snow starting Sat morning and then freezing rain Sat afternoon/night in the Portland, OR area. Traffic pretty much came to a standstill when this happened a couple weeks ago.
Cheers for the alert, AM. I really do appreciate everyone's attention to my drive!

In this case, fortune for me then. I barely made it from PHX to Palm Springs, since my fever & cough have returned, so I decided to remain here until at least Mon. I'll monitor weather before I leave.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Any week other than this one, I'd totally agree with all the other posters. Unfortunately NorCal is going to be hit with once in 25 year storms right now.
Thank you, Mike for the info. As you may have read in a previous post, I got so ill, I had to get off the road after 300-mi & will be in Palm Springs thru the weekend, at least. Good timing on my part in lieu of the storm.

And, thank you for the alternate route. I'll monitor the weather & honestly, the way I feel, I may be here for a week. But, I appreciate all the info... I have plenty of time to sift through it all & pay attention to the weather.

By the end of this trip, with everyone's input, I'll probably get a job as a meteorologist... or with Rand McNally.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
true, in the winter, you plan your options, then check weather as you depart. Different routes may be better choice at time of departure.

Unfortunately the Cascades are predicted to be stormy as of Saturday noon. (that too can change, but is usually pretty accurate.

When the going gets too rough for your own comfort,, get off the road.
As usual, good advice, SR, thank you. You'll aide in preventing my mum from calling the police to check on my well being. I told her the board is helping me, to help alleviate her worry. So, if she calls you, please tell her I'm fine, yes I did eat today & yes I do have my umbrella & boots in the car.

Thank you again, Everyone. You've all been very helpful. Have a good weekend!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,108,941 times
I5 in N. CA can get some brutal snow around Mt. Shasta area and north. You will need chains on to take that route if the signs are up. There is no way to get from PHX to SEA without mountain passes somewhere or another.

Good luck and check the weather ahead.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:24 AM

18,088 posts, read 22,934,448 times
OP, you asked about chains and not knowing how to put them on, etc. All you really need is to have them with you. If you are ever in a situation where the cops/sherrifs, etc., actually stop you to ask if you have them or require them, you can show them you have them, then just say "I have them but don't know how to put them on, etc." then bat your eyes and they'll help you put them on. Or, there will be someone providing the service to put them on for you - for a price. There are guys who make money by just setting up shop where chains are required, and they charge to sell and/or put chains on for people.

I've made the trip up CA many times, and also through Oregon and Idaho into WA, and my opinion is that I-5 is your best bet as far as best cell coverage, most traffic, and best maintained roads.

Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
... please tell her I'm fine, yes I did eat today & yes I do have my umbrella & boots in the car.

Best wishes for a timely recovery (as our PNW storm should be over by Weds, and back to RAIN (drizzle) (until jul 5th...)

Winter gear for car:
  • Flares
  • Reflectors
  • Tall orange bike flag (if stuck in a drift)
  • Candles (matches)
  • water
  • snacks
  • blanket (sleeping bag is great option)
  • blinking light / headlamp
  • deicer for locks
  • replacement wiper blades
  • CHAINS (that fit) You will be able to find a Les Schwab Tire store near Sacramento. They allow you to buy chains and return to any store for refund if you do not use. (AFAIK, at least they used to... Walmart / Oreillys will be much cheaper)

You can leave the umbrella home! in PNW you are branded a 'tourist' if seen with umbrella. We are 'Wash-n'-wear, and have webbed feet.

Please be safe and best wishes on a speedy and comfortable recovery.
Southern CA / Palm Springs is a better place to be, glad you stopped.
14F and 70 mph winds at my house, snow to arrive at noon, followed by 2" of freezing rain. (Not quite as nice as Palm Springs for 'recovery abode')

Old 01-07-2017, 11:12 AM

22,669 posts, read 28,685,250 times
Go over to I-5 and north on I-5. There is a pass in Southern Oregon that sometimes has issues if there is a lot of snow. You can check on ODOT Tripcheck before you leave home.

If the pass has snow, then buy a set of chains before you get to the pass and then return them if you don't use them.

You won't have any problem on any other stretch of I-5.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I5 in N. CA can get some brutal snow around Mt. Shasta area and north. You will need chains on to take that route if the signs are up. There is no way to get from PHX to SEA without mountain passes somewhere or another.

Good luck and check the weather ahead.
Thank you for that, AGurl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or