U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:17 PM

1,722 posts, read 601,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, you asked about chains and not knowing how to put them on, etc. All you really need is to have them with you. If you are ever in a situation where the cops/sherrifs, etc., actually stop you to ask if you have them or require them, you can show them you have them, then just say "I have them but don't know how to put them on, etc." then bat your eyes and they'll help you put them on. Or, there will be someone providing the service to put them on for you - for a price. There are guys who make money by just setting up shop where chains are required, and they charge to sell and/or put chains on for people.
Thank you again, Snow. Fair enough. I'll do a bit of research & if I need them, I'm sure it won't be hard to find a garage to do an install. BTW, batting my eyelashes only got me an offer of a Kleenex from a very nice lad... never a discount, sadly. Maybe I need ingenue refresh lessons.

Quote:
I've made the trip up CA many times, and also through Oregon and Idaho into WA, and my opinion is that I-5 is your best bet as far as best cell coverage, most traffic, and best maintained roads.

Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope all goes well for you.
I agree with I-5. I'd prefer to stay on a major highway. And, cheers for the good wishes. I think I'm going to remain in Palm Springs all next week. I need some rest & the headache I get while coughing all day gets maddening, particularly when driving. It will also give me more time to get familiar with all the info here & research a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 08:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post

....There is no way to get from PHX to SEA without mountain passes somewhere or another.

Good luck and check the weather ahead.
Cutting over to CA 101 and up the Oregon coast has no passes. (But has a coupe other risks) mudslides, fog, frost, rain

Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Best wishes for a timely recovery (as our PNW storm should be over by Weds, and back to RAIN (drizzle) (until jul 5th...)
Cheers for the good wishes, Stealth. With the gnarly weather, I've decided to remain in the Springs all next week. It's chilly here... well, for PSprgs... but, I turned on TWC & see the weather's taken over like the Killer Tomatoes from that bad D-grade horror flick.

Yes, the PNW weather is something. I lived in Seattle in the grunge days, when I was a zygot with a software job. I came from living in Atlanta, where white/pastel linen suits & heels were the bulk of my closet & traded them in for plaid flannel, flats & torn jeans... oh, & a gnarly espresso addiction I've yet to shake. Better clothing for traipsing about in the never ending drizzle trying it's best to ruin my giant, Tammy Wynette, teased, sprayed, platinum mane. Ah, youth. Those pics would be oh, so embarrassing if ever unearthed.

Quote:
Winter gear for car:
  • Flares
  • Reflectors
  • Tall orange bike flag (if stuck in a drift)
  • Candles (matches)
  • water
  • snacks
  • blanket (sleeping bag is great option)
  • blinking light / headlamp
  • deicer for locks
  • replacement wiper blades
  • CHAINS (that fit) You will be able to find a Les Schwab Tire store near Sacramento. They allow you to buy chains and return to any store for refund if you do not use. (AFAIK, at least they used to... Walmart / Oreillys will be much cheaper)
Thank you so much! What a great list. I have everything but the tall flag, flares & chains, but I'll p/u everything before I venture up north. There's either a Sullivan's or O'Reilly's right around the corner. I even rummaged around in the car & dug out my hiking boots, just in case I encounter higher snow.

Also went out for a walk & happened across stores clearing all their winter gear for a steal, so I bought 2 large wool ponchos & 2 giant wool scarves (blankets, basically) to keep in the car, after seeing your list. If I'm found frozen to my steering wheel in the tundra, I'd at least like to be stylishly frozen in multi-layered wool.

Quote:
Please be safe and best wishes on a speedy and comfortable recovery.
Southern CA / Palm Springs is a better place to be, glad you stopped.
14F and 70 mph winds at my house, snow to arrive at noon, followed by 2" of freezing rain. (Not quite as nice as Palm Springs for 'recovery abode')
Thank you kindly again for all your well wishes.

The front page of the Daily Mail UK shows the entire country is being hit hard with wintery weather. After seeing the weather reports (looks like ice is the real bear for most places... I'm watching trucks sliding on icy roads on TWC now), there's no rush, so I'll just remain in 50-degree weather for a bit. It's the best weather I'm going to find right now. Besides, I don't feel good enough to go anywhere except the Ristretto coffee bar, which is only 50 steps away. Most people will crawl for a good chocolate... I'll do the same for a deep, rich espresso.

Wow, stay safe there on what sounds like the mountain of Mordor from Lord of the Rings. 70mph winds?! Hang onto your hat!

Thank you, Everyone for taking the time to reply with very useful info! My mum thinks you're all heroes!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
Not sure if you have headed North yet. If not you might want to wait another day or two. The Portland area just got hit with a bunch of snow. Interstate 5 is basically a parking lot. The snow is suppose to stop in a couple hours.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,078,520 times
I am towing and going the other way from Seattle area to Phoenix.

I am just waiting. Your best friend is the weather channel and other web sites.

This is my favorite while I am traveling. It give real time conditions on a weather map. Zoom in for the area you are currently traveling through.

Intellicast - Current Radar in United States

Bookmark this web site. It give you the whole bag of conditions. You can see road closures, chain requirements, web-cams, traffic conditions, etc. etc. I would look at the site in the morning and at lunch break. I do use the intellicast site while on the road. That gives me an idea of where I should stop.....if the road is bad up ahead.

http://oss.weathershare.org/?Center=...c#.WHaIp1OIbIX

I would NOT drive 93 through Nevada this time of year. Particularly if your a timid driver or towing. I did it late last March and drove right into the teeth of a snowstorm. It was interesting, but fortunately the roads were warm enough that only had slush on the road. The trailer and truck looked like pretty ugly. I cannot imagine towing on that road if the road is snow covered. It is a long, long way to travel on snow.

The advantage of the I-5 route is that your exposure to snow covered roads is very limited...basically Siskiyou Pass.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Not sure if you have headed North yet. If not you might want to wait another day or two. The Portland area just got hit with a bunch of snow. Interstate 5 is basically a parking lot. The snow is suppose to stop in a couple hours.
Hey, Alaskan. Thank you kindly for your update. I'm still in Palm Springs through Mon... still not feeling well & don't wish to head out in dicey weather. I just may postpone the trip... gotta get settled & back to work soon, which will probably be SDiego Cty. Rather than rack up hotel costs, it's probably best to forget it for now & visit in the summer. Nothing prettier than PNW in the summer.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
This is my favorite while I am traveling. It give real time conditions on a weather map. Zoom in for the area you are currently traveling through.

Intellicast - Current Radar in United States

Bookmark this web site. It give you the whole bag of conditions. You can see road closures, chain requirements, web-cams, traffic conditions, etc. etc. I would look at the site in the morning and at lunch break. I do use the intellicast site while on the road. That gives me an idea of where I should stop.....if the road is bad up ahead.

One Stop Shop for Traveler Information
I'll check out the sites, 509, thank you!

Quote:
I would NOT drive 93 through Nevada this time of year. Particularly if your a timid driver or towing. I did it late last March and drove right into the teeth of a snowstorm. It was interesting, but fortunately the roads were warm enough that only had slush on the road. The trailer and truck looked like pretty ugly. I cannot imagine towing on that road if the road is snow covered. It is a long, long way to travel on snow.

The advantage of the I-5 route is that your exposure to snow covered roads is very limited...basically Siskiyou Pass.
Thank you for your info. I have been stuck on roads before in dodgy weather & it's scary. Recently, I was stuck at hotels during the TX floods, twice... from CA to FL & then return trip. Made it out by the skin of my teeth one day when they shut down the bridge I was on in DFW, just as I was the last car over.

I'm 90% certain I'm going to postpone the trip until summer. Can't be trapped in hotels too much longer. It's been fun, but the Visa's not going to get paid by me watching TWC.

Good luck on your trip! Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or