U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:46 AM

17,237 posts, read 19,536,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think travel overseas for 1-2 weeks a year is sufficient. At the end of my 2 week vacation, I just want to go home.
I have been travelling oversea twice a year for at least 10 years, each last 1 to 2 weeks. I never repeated a destinations twice and I am running out of interesting place to go.
Not even close. If you live in a large city, I will bet that there are even many interesting local places that you've never seen.

The world is much too large for any one person to experience it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4111 View Post
I saw the videos from this couple traveling the world and thought this was such a fun thing to do, to take an extended sabbatical and travel. I actually did something like this in 2010-11 and was the best experience of my life. I know a lot of people do this in Europe and Australia but quite uncommon for Americans to take gap years and travel. I think it's really an enriching experience to learn more about the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krOMC6WfjBM
If you do the Indian subcontinent and USA, you have pretty much covered the whole world. USA has people and culture from all over the world and India has good landmarks that you have all over the world.

I want to do them first.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:33 PM

636 posts, read 279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Would love to hear more about your life of travel if you are open to sharing.
I don't want to say too much publicly, but it's a de-emphasis on material things and societal expectations. And an emphasis on experiences and hedonism.

A willingness to leave comfort and the known behind and to embrace the unknown and 'risk'.

If you want to make travel your priority - then make it your priority and let come what may. What comes will be beyond your expectation and your fears will go, mostly, unrealized.

Deciding to do something is more than 50% of doing it. The rest, you can work out along the way.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:12 PM

9,593 posts, read 17,171,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
I don't want to say too much publicly, but it's a de-emphasis on material things and societal expectations. And an emphasis on experiences and hedonism.

A willingness to leave comfort and the known behind and to embrace the unknown and 'risk'.

If you want to make travel your priority - then make it your priority and let come what may. What comes will be beyond your expectation and your fears will go, mostly, unrealized.

Deciding to do something is more than 50% of doing it. The rest, you can work out along the way.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this but esp the bolded. The scariest parts of the whole RTW adventure were making the decision and then telling people what we were getting ready to do. Most people took it better than we expected but maybe that's because they already thought we were nuts.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:29 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I think travel overseas for 1-2 weeks a year is sufficient. At the end of my 2 week vacation, I just want to go home.
I have been travelling oversea twice a year for at least 10 years, each last 1 to 2 weeks. I never repeated a destinations twice and I am running out of interesting place to go.
I can't imagine ever running out of interesting places to go. I find most things interesting.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM

2,547 posts, read 1,637,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Not even close. If you live in a large city, I will bet that there are even many interesting local places that you've never seen.

The world is much too large for any one person to experience it all.
Besides South Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Morocco and Egypt, I have no desire to see other places in Africa. May be those places are interested to you, but not the for me. I got my 5 African countries and those are enough for me. I don't want to spent my money my time to those mildly interesting placestuff half way around the world

I have covered nearly 50 countries during my 10 years traveling. I think that is quite enough. Do I need to spend a hugh sum of money to go to Mongolia or Siberia?

Old 01-16-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I can't imagine ever running out of interesting places to go. I find most things interesting.
I research the places I want to go and rank them in my level of interest. Then I try to go to places that are higher in my list.
My favorite places that I've been to Bora Bora, Positano, Santorini, Grendel Wald, Hallstatt, Cote d'azure, Marakesh, Venice, Cape Town, Easter Island, Machu Picchu, etc...

Old 01-16-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No, you're not.

You may think you are, but that's just because there are places with which you are unfamiliar and don't know how interesting they are.

I've been traveling internationally for 30+ years, and there are many places still that I want to visit and haven't as yet had a chance. I took early retirement 7 years ago at the age of 54 because I was tired of trying to fit my travel into 1 or 2 week blocks of time or other office priorities. Now my wife and I can travel for months at a time whenever we want. (I'd hate to spend 20 hours flying to Australia, or New Zealand, or Bali, or China, or Japan, etc., only to turn around and come home in a week or two.)

I research my places to travel extensively so I can decide if it worth my time to go or not. Not everyplace is worth going.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:47 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
You are only 38. If you plan to do one 2-3 week trip per year to a further away country and maybe a week trip within USA or Central / South America), you would have covered almost all the countries you wanted to see by the time you are 70. No need to quit your job. When travel is taken in small doses it is exciting. I am not sure how vacations that are weeks or months long will turn out. I certainly would not enjoy that. At the end of a 2-3 week vacation we are ready to come home and relax.
I'm referring to traveling, not necessarily vacations, if that makes any sense.

Even if I've seen all the tourist things to see in a city, that doesn't mean I never want to see that city again. Quite the contrary. I like to see new places 'and' return to places I've been to before because I just like those places so there's never enough time to spend there IMO. It's not necessarily about ticking cities/places/things to do off of a list, but for me it's about spending as much time as possible in places I've been before that I liked. It's about 'experiencing' those places...from the fun things to the everyday mundance things just like someone living there would experience. It's about staying long enough to meet people and develop future friendships. It's about staying there long enough to the point where the 'newness' and/or the feeling of being a tourist actually starts to wear off. Yes, that may be the point where many people tire of a place, but to me that's when the true beauty of a place starts to show; once you begin to be able to see a place for everything it offers, good, bad and everything in between. Once you start to actually get to truly 'know' a place and its people.

At the end of my last 3 week vacation to Europe last month all I wanted to do was go back to all the same places I went again. Plus try new places. I don't see that changing much for me; the more time to travel and experience places, the better.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,908,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
When travel is taken in small doses it is exciting. I am not sure how vacations that are weeks or months long will turn out. I certainly would not enjoy that. At the end of a 2-3 week vacation we are ready to come home and relax.
The reason that you're tired is most likely due to the fact that since your time is limited, you feel you must use every available hour to see what you came to see. You're on the go from morning to night. Then you collapse in your hotel room, exhausted from that day's touring, and then you wake up the next morning and do it again. Or your constantly packing and unpacking as you move from locale to locale in an attempt to take in the sites of an entire country (or even multiple countries!) in a couple of weeks at a time. I know that's the way I was when my travel was limited to just a couple of weeks. Conversely, when you travel for months at a time without time constraints, you don't feel that time pressure. Consequently, you can relax whenever you feel like it. Perhaps just go out for an hour or two one day or not do anything at all. If you're renting an apartment for a month or so in a particular location and you don't feel like doing anything one day, that day may be no different and certainly no more tiring than a lazy day at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel