U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,724,656 times

Advertisements

We are interested in taking our kids to Maine and Eastern Canada this summer. We are planning to spend a weekend in Boston, and then the next 7 days in Maine and Canada, then driving through Vermont/NH on the way back the to airport in Boston.
We want to visit Kennebunkport and Quebec City, other than that, we are open. Should we try to visit Bar Harbour? Somewhere in Nova Scotia?

One note- we have 3 kids and 2 of them are teens, so we can't stay in one hotel room. So we usually pick a couple of good places where we can stay in a central location, and then drive for day trips. Vacation rentals or 2 bedroom hotel suites work well for us.

Thanks for any advice and recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,476,507 times
Kennebunk is kinda boring IMHO.

Portland is nice around the harbour.
Bar Harbor and Acadia are must visits.
Cape Brenton in NS is great
PEI for a Anne of Green Gables fix
Montreal is very nice
Killington and Stowe in VT do some interesting things over the summer.
Cannon and Loon in NH do too.
NH112 from Lincoln to North Conway is a nice road, then you can drive up Mt Washington and get a bumper sticker.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 PM

166 posts, read 113,805 times
That is a lot of windshield time, you may want to do Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, or go the other way and do Montreal and QC.

They do have a high speed ferry from Portland to NS, that will cut down on traveling time. PEI is a beautiful place with red sand beaches, not many people around, very friendly locals, many lighthouses. NS and PEI are completely different places. From Boston to NS or PEI it will take a full day. Make sure you have passports for all.

Once you decide where to go check out Trip Advisor for more info, here is the one for PEI.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...rd_Island.html

Old 01-16-2017, 07:26 PM

1,917 posts, read 966,059 times
If you get up into New Brunswick, be sure to see the Hopewell Rocks.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,127,367 times
Definitely Acadia/Bar Harbor. Lovely national park, good tourism infrastructure, all kinds of awesomeness.

I also really like the Lubec-Eastport area- rugged natural beauty, historic charm, and not totally overrun with tourists unless you happen to hit marathon weekend. I will say that once you get off I-95, it can take a surprisingly long time to get from place to place in Maine. Keep checking your driving times and distances as you map out a route.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,042,700 times
That's a lot of driving! You'll cover a lot of miles and be able to say you saw a lot, but you won't have much time to really experience the areas you visit.

From Boston, you are within about 1 hours of Cape Cod, Newport, and Providence, all worth visiting for their historical and scenic attractions.

Acadia is great and the drive up the coast from Boston is spectacular, but driving straight through won't allow you to stop along the way and really see and enjoy the things that make the Maine seacoast so wonderful. Nova Scotia is way up there and a quick drive-through won't do it justice. Nova Scotia and Cape Breton are amazing, with such a varied landscape and differing regional cultures, plus the Hopewell Rocks, Bay of Fundy, Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Cabot Trail...you need at least 7 days. Besides, heading too far northeast makes your drive over to Quebec City longer.

I would set aside Canada and most of Maine for another visit and concentrate on MA, VT and NH for the time you have available.

One option would be to leave Boston and drive north to Mt Washington. Drive through Woodstock and the White Mountains. Hike or drive up the mountain, visit the weather station, see Franconia Notch, then head south through Vermont. Near Rockingham, head west to Manchester, go through the Green Mountains to Bennington. Stay between Bennington and Pittsfield, MA. From there you are within 1 hours of historic Deerfield, Williamstown, Stockbridge, and the Berkshire Mountains. You can even hike all or part of the 7 miles of the Appalachian trail from Ft. Adams to Mt. Greylock. That puts you maybe 3 hours from Boston and your flight home.

Whatever you decide, have fun! We spent 35 years in MA and saw and did everything we could while we were there.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:28 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,041,294 times
I agree with leorah - you can't do the Maritime Provinces justice in the time you've allocated, especially considering you want a make-a-base-and-explore-from-there approach. Staying put and covering all that ground are incompatible.

If you really want to see K'port and Quebec (I'm meh about the former, enthusiastic about the latter): stop in K'port on your way to Portland. Maybe stay in Portland 2 nights (do some local stuff and/or drive up the coast a bit to Bath and Boothbay. Than head to Quebec. That's about 6 hours from Portland via I95 and US201. Spend a couple of days in Quebec, then head back to Boston via I91 (if rushed) or US 5 (if not), stopping in Hanover NH (home of Dartmouth), then either making a bump west into the middle of Vermont if you have the time or heading straight down to Mass using I91 and/or US5 to Greenfield (then east to Boston on US2).

Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 PM

5,015 posts, read 4,724,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I agree with leorah - you can't do the Maritime Provinces justice in the time you've allocated, especially considering you want a make-a-base-and-explore-from-there approach. Staying put and covering all that ground are incompatible.

If you really want to see K'port and Quebec (I'm meh about the former, enthusiastic about the latter): stop in K'port on your way to Portland. Maybe stay in Portland 2 nights (do some local stuff and/or drive up the coast a bit to Bath and Boothbay. Than head to Quebec. That's about 6 hours from Portland via I95 and US201. Spend a couple of days in Quebec, then head back to Boston via I91 (if rushed) or US 5 (if not), stopping in Hanover NH (home of Dartmouth), then either making a bump west into the middle of Vermont if you have the time or heading straight down to Mass using I91 and/or US5 to Greenfield (then east to Boston on US2).
Thanks! If we didn't do K'oort, where would you recommended instead? And do you think Quebec Is better than Nova Scotia?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. When I first starting planning I realized that we weren't going to be able to see everything we had hoped. So I was hoping you guys could help with the streamlining.

And we can definitely swtich places some, it's just easier not to change every night since we don't fit into a regular hotel room.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 7,042,700 times
Quebec and Nova Scotia are different; Quebec tends to be more urban and cosmopolitan and Nova Scotia is more rural with gorgeous and varied coastal scenery. I guess it all depends on what kind of experience you are looking for. This year Canada is celebrating its 150th anniversary of confederation and there will probably be lots of commemorative events all over the country, so you might be able to take in some of the celebrations. With that in mind, it would be good to make any lodging reservations well in advance.

As far as Kennebunkport, it's a pretty tourist mecca.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 PM

5,218 posts, read 2,785,192 times
Stop by the lobster shack by the lighthouse (two lights) just south of downtown Portland.

Great food and great scenery.

Acadia / bar Harbour are must sees as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel