Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times

Advertisements

I don't get your specific issues. Yes Orlando is an iffy place, but it's not the guns. It's the low lifes that carry them.

If you have Yankee Doodle license plates, driving through southern Georgia still has its risks. Tickets are still handed out to Yankees there. Do not go over the speed limit. I wouldn't even risk a right turn on red. That part hasn't changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I don't get your specific issues. Yes Orlando is an iffy place, but it's not the guns. It's the low lifes that carry them.
How nice to totally disrespect over 2 million people.

Quote:
If you have Yankee Doodle license plates, driving through southern Georgia still has its risks. Tickets are still handed out to Yankees there. Do not go over the speed limit. I wouldn't even risk a right turn on red. That part hasn't changed.
You left out the part that we also eat them for lunch.

What ridiculous notions people have.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

What ridiculous notions people have.
Seriously.
Tickets are handed out with ease to out of state drivers EVERYWHERE. FL cops have no problems hitting up Alabama and GA cars headed to PCB or elsewhere in the state. GA cops aren't even that bad. Local cops can only give you a ticket if you're doing 10 mph over the speed limit or more. Pay attention and you'll never an issue. Nothing to do with being from the north or not.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:41 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

LOL...that's as silly as the OP's post. You must have gotten your sole idea of the south by watching "Dukes of Hazzard" reruns on late night TV.

Oh also, the movie "Deliverance"? No it's NOT a documentary, just in case you couldn't tell.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Florida Gun Laws

Florida also has some really stupid preemption laws - that's where the state says local government has no say on the issue of gun laws. So, for instance, a city can't ban concealed carry if the state allows it. They can't even ban guns in schools if the state allows it. Here are just some of the results of Florida's preemption laws:

Quote:
Florida’s very broad firearms preemption law has also led to dangerous and illogical results.
  • Similar to Pennsylvania, guns are not allowed at Florida state legislative meetings, but Florida law prohibits cities, towns, and counties from passing locals laws — forcing localities allow guns in their municipal buildings and city halls.
  • Due to the state preemption law, Palm Beach County had to rescind ordinances that kept guns out of government buildings and parks — as well as an ordinance that prohibited people from firing guns in densely populated areas.
  • And in Fort Lauderdale, it is now illegal for someone to bring a knife to a parade — but they can legally bring a gun.
I'm real tired of the NRA and their crazy acolytes insisting that "the right to bear arms" means we can't keep criminals and crazy people from getting guns. They don't want a waiting period. They don't want background checks. They want to be allowed to sell fully automatic weapons (though I think most states are still responsible enough not to allow that, but not responsible enough to also ban semi-automatics). They don't care that even kids can get enough weaponry through unlicensed, unmonitored gun shows to wipe out half their school.

But sadly I can't say that Florida is really any worse than a lot of other states. It is a nationwide insanity and stupidity.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Don't let the previous posters scare you, I live in Florida and it is no different than anywhere else as far as being safe. Every State and town has good areas and bad areas, and Florida is no different.

I know things like the Orlando shooting, the MLK shooting, and the airport shooting in Lauderdale tend to make it seem bad, but those isolated instances happen everywhere. I have lived in Pa, NC, Ca, and now Fl, and every State had its' share of crime and problems.

Come on down, enjoy yourself, and simply stay in the better areas and you will be fine.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why in the world would someone be worried about a legal gun. It's the illegal ones already where you live you need to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
LOL...that's as silly as the OP's post. You must have gotten your sole idea of the south by watching "Dukes of Hazzard" reruns on late night TV.

Oh also, the movie "Deliverance"? No it's NOT a documentary, just in case you couldn't tell.
There are parts of rural Georgia that make Mississippi look good, very 'My Cousin Vinny' vibe. But they're far from the interstates or other places tourists would normally turn up. (We used to have to go through some of that when my sister lived in Albany)

Same goes for Florida. You'd only end ip in an armpit like Perry if you decided to take the old route from Tallahassee to Tampa instead of sensibly cutting over to I-75.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:39 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Fake post!! Quit feeding the troll.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBABaller22 View Post
I hear negative things about Florida that guns are legal and stuff, we are booking for a week and wanted to know how is it there, were heading to Orlando and especially after the 2 mass shootings we wanted to know if it is really safe still for people to travel to that same city?
What planet are you from, OP?
This is America - guns and stuff are legal, mass shootings can happen, but the odds of dying from mass shooting are very, very small - according to the Census Bureau, the U.S. currently has a resident population of 322,367,564, giving you a 0.00000143% chance of getting killed in a mass shooting this year by the broadest definition. And for the average person, you probably have a higher chance of being hit by lightning or winning the Powerball jackpot than being shot in some mass shooter event.

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/u...2.38.10-PM.png

You want be safe? Travel here:
Mapped: The world's safest (and least safe) countries

Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post

*anti-gun rant*
This is the travel forum, not the politics forum. Take your ideological diatribe there. I think we all agree the OP's post is overblown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel