U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 10:18 PM

6,573 posts, read 3,664,491 times

Advertisements

Sorry for your loss. My wife passed 10 years ago when I was 58 but we had a happy retirement together for about 7 years. I do rail and road trips solo and enjoy the freedom of going where and when I want. I enjoy architecture and stay in historic hotels when I can. I moved to the place that offers much of what I want so I can go on day trips or short trips. I like long distance rail trips because I meet some very interesting people...might be a little like a cruise in some respects. I haven't travelled abroad on my own but went to Peru with my daughter and Italy with some other friends for a wedding. I'm planning on taking a specialized trip to Central America (archaeology focus) and If I like that I might do more. You will enjoy travelling solo if you are open to new things and meeting new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:34 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1026 View Post
WOW. I am inspired, to say the least. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I can either do it alone or try to be a part of some club. The Photography and Hiking clubs sound good.
Just to clarify: the small group activity/interest tours I am referring to do not require you to join a club. You just sign up with the tour company.

The Sierra Club (Sierra Club Outings | wilderness adventures since 1901), Backroads (https://www.backroads.com/tours/walk...kwMRoCebfw_wcB), and REI (https://www.rei.com/adventures?s_kwc...kVLxoCdyjw_wcB) offer small group outdoor adventures (as do many other companies). There are lots of photo tour offerings, but I've heard good things about Muench Workshops (https://muenchworkshops.com). If birding's your thing, check out Wings Birding Tours (WINGS Birding Tours... more than 40 years of worldwide experience). Voyages to Antiquity (https://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/cr...KRdBoCRtDw_wcB) and Insight Cruises (Insight Cruises: Educational Travel — For Those Who Thrive on Life-Long Learning) offer cruises with an educational focus. And upthread someone already mentioned Road Scholar (https://www.roadscholar.org) (look for their more active small group options).

And my list barely scratches the surface of what's out there! There are lots of choices!

Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 PM

5,942 posts, read 2,893,129 times
Quote:
I must admit that I am a bit scared on my future life journey! My plans were to retire before hitting the 50-year mark and in most aspects, I over achieved on the plans. Right as this came to fruition, my wife suddenly passed away. We got along so well and she was my travel partner for the last 15 years and was going to be my lifelong travel companion.
At risk of great understatement, that really sucks. I'm really sorry to hear it Eric.

Quote:
So, I have never had the opportunity to travel solo. I think I can do it? I would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has had the pleasure of traveling solo. Any tips and tricks and things to be mindful of.
I'd suggest you put a foot in both worlds. Instead of joining a travel group and having a long itinerary with them go travel solo at your own pace and itinerary, but along the way join up with some local tours. My wife and I are mostly independent travelers but sometimes for convenience or out of necessity we sign up for short tours, anywhere from a day trip to several days. We meet a lot of nice people including solo travelers and have had some good times.

Forget the rhetoric from people breaking their arms trying to pat themselves on the back for not traveling as a tourist, sometimes that is the only way to do whatever interesting thing you are there to do/see unless you have packed a boat or 4x4 in your luggage.

Good luck, and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or