U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Our time changes here in the spring and fall. One early morning in the springtime, I just somehow happened to wake up in a panic, wondering why the front desk hadn't called for a wake up call.

I called the front desk in an absolute rage asking what time it was as our flight was leaving in less than two hours at a major airport. I'd requested a wake up call the night before but the dumbasses hadn't changed their clocks at midnight when the time changed. I screamed at them to call a cab and we didn't have a second to waste... no shower, no makeup, not even time to comb our hair. We threw our stuff into our suitcases and dashed to the lobby. We JUST made it to our gate.

Lesson learned!!! NEVER trust a motel wake up call. Bring your own alarm clock or set your phone alarm.
Daylight Saving Starts and end @ 2am.

But Most newer systems are setup to do the Alarm for 2am to 3am in the spring at 1:59am (For the ones that would be "Missed" when the clocks jump forward.

(Not sure how my Cell Phone would handle it, Guess I should test that, Does a Alarm at 2:22am on spring Daylight savings go off, since the Cell Tower should will reset the time at 2am to 3am...)

Fall Back from 2am - 1am, Does Should alarm on the 1st 1am-2am cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:49 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Our time changes here in the spring and fall. One early morning in the springtime, I just somehow happened to wake up in a panic, wondering why the front desk hadn't called for a wake up call.

I called the front desk in an absolute rage asking what time it was as our flight was leaving in less than two hours at a major airport. I'd requested a wake up call the night before but the dumbasses hadn't changed their clocks at midnight when the time changed. I screamed at them to call a cab and we didn't have a second to waste... no shower, no makeup, not even time to comb our hair. We threw our stuff into our suitcases and dashed to the lobby. We JUST made it to our gate.

Lesson learned!!! NEVER trust a motel wake up call. Bring your own alarm clock or set your phone alarm.
Did screaming at the hotel clerk make you feel better?

Old 01-23-2017, 08:51 AM

865 posts, read 514,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
An airline pilot I knew said whenever he had an early morning flight, he would set three different alarms. One was a windup alarm clock that would still function if the power went out. But this was in the days before smart phones.
That's what I do. I have a wake up call (which I never trust), I set an iPad alarm, iPhone alarm, and the alarm clock. I space out the iPad and iPhone alarms by 1 minute.

I've had wake up calls fail numerous times.

I've had a virus on an IPhone that changed the time by 1 hour the wrong way.

I've had hotel alarm clocks set to the wrong hour.

What I've never had is every method fail simultaneously so after 20 years, I still have a perfect game going on crew delays.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,171,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Did screaming at the hotel clerk make you feel better?
Ok, I didn't quite "scream", but I wanted them to know this was a serious matter and that there must be other people they didn't call either.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:37 AM

291 posts, read 671,364 times
Does this remind anyone else of the time Jerry Seinfeld was tasked with getting Jean-Paul on time to the NYC Marathon?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times
Once in a while I don't get my wake up call. However like others I do set a back up alarm on my phone.

Even though most wake up call systems are automated, the request still needs to be imputed. Often the afternoon clerk will just log the request and it is the night clerk that inputs it into the system. Sometimes the handwritten log gets misplaced and the night clerk does not know they needed to set the wake up call.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,864,806 times
Also make sure to check the clock radio alarm to make sure it isn't already set! Sometimes the last guest had it set and its not re-set. We've learned this the hard way when we've had a clock radio screaming at us at 3 am Guess they had a super-early flight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or