U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM

1,005 posts, read 576,403 times

Advertisements

Yes, when Frontier was introducing flights from Charlotte to Trenton, we got round trip for both of us $40 total. This was after fees and we did not check bags. We did take a cab from the airport to the Jersey transit and then the train to Penn Station. Sill saved tremendously and got to see some scenery on the train ride. It was still like $115 total after cab and trains rides. Catch is you have to be available on certain days and times. Now I think they charge for carry ons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 PM

4,150 posts, read 1,890,030 times
I scored a $1, BoltBus. SEA to PDX. Regular price $15-$25

Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
I see most conversations here are for legitimate 'promotional fares' (Bolt Bus included IIRC they run short promotions on a few seats)

It is pretty amazing to grab 'seat-filling' bargains, I just got another $50 OW today.

Spirit was running a $19.90 direct fare PDX>SAN and I grabbed a LOT of those during rainy winter!

Ryanair also treated me to many bargain flights in Europe (~12 euro), but never a $7 fare.

My companion flies everywhere I go this yr for $5.60 each way. 2 flights today! Many more to come (We hope)

got bumped last week, so companion only got $305.60, but I got the $300+ my fare, so not a bad haul for a $43 + $5.60 flight (Cost us a 2 hr delay). As homeschoolers (flexible schedule and VERY frequent field trips), we flew for several yrs on bumps. No complaints.

Be sure to check your purchased fares often (for subsequent reductions).
Also sign up for the Weds emails to fill seats for following weekend. (most legacy carriers send email blasts weekly)

On the 'ship' deals... we sailed Dubai to Venice with a couple who got a promotional fare of $500 for two ... 17 days food and lodging and transport! Outside cabin!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 PM

1,005 posts, read 576,403 times
When you say Wednesday emails, is that for specific airlines or a website? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
When you say Wednesday emails, is that for specific airlines or a website? Thanks.
(most legacy carriers send email blasts weekly)

Sign up on the sites of major carriers. also watch the usual online sources (including the carrier website, that is where I usually buy)

Airfarewatchdog or similar if you have a specific destination in mind.

$7 ERRORS will not be intentionally advertised (tho it happens and they get posted).

Old 01-24-2017, 11:31 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I see most conversations here are for legitimate 'promotional fares' (Bolt Bus included IIRC they run short promotions on a few seats)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$7 ERRORS will not be intentionally advertised (tho it happens and they get posted).

Yeah.. And I have no problem with the promotional fares. Even error fares that are reasonable.

You grab a $7 round trip between Boston and Seoul.. That's where I have a problem. Well, at least.. Let's say this.. you grab it and the airline doesn't honor it.. And then you fight and berate the airline trying to get them to honor it.. No.. You knew that was a mistake. I'm sort of OK if you try and they reject it and you give the sly smile and say "Hey, I tried".. I don't overly think that's right, but..

Old 01-24-2017, 12:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. And I have no problem with the promotional fares. Even error fares that are reasonable.

You grab a $7 round trip between Boston and Seoul.. That's where I have a problem. Well, at least.. Let's say this.. you grab it and the airline doesn't honor it.. And then you fight and berate the airline trying to get them to honor it.. No.. You knew that was a mistake. I'm sort of OK if you try and they reject it and you give the sly smile and say "Hey, I tried".. I don't overly think that's right, but..
I would agree with you if there wasn't a law that said that the airlines have to honor the fare. I can understand if an airline figured that it was cheaper to pay a fine than to honor the ticket and are upfront with that. But I see this as no different than extreme couponing where you take advantage of a system put in place, most people don't want to go through the work required to get the deal. Also, I'm even willing to argue that error fares benefit the travel industry on the whole than harms it. For example, you are bringing in people who may have never traveled to the location, airlines may even get a chance to double dip when someone who books an error fare decides not to go on the trip so the airline can sell the seat to another passenger, or sometimes travel companions that are willing to pay the correct fare will decide to go on the trip so the airline has sold a seat that they might not have previously.

That being said, a true error fare happens extremely rarely, even the few that I have gotten have at best saved a few hundred dollars a ticket but have also come at the expense of being on less than stellar airlines or long and complicated routings that make me not look forward to taking the trip. I also suspect some of them may be marketing ploys either by the airline or the destination country. Of the 5 or so error fares I have booked, the only one I would consider a spectacular deal was DC to Abu Dhabi on Etihad for about $220 r/t and that was over 3 years ago.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 AM

3,662 posts, read 6,483,307 times
As someone mentioned, there have been some amazing deals to Europe lately.. I snagged a 400RT ticket on Delta from Ontario, California to Amsterdam (connecting in SLC outbound and SEA on way home)

Old 01-27-2017, 10:10 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,076,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I would agree with you if there wasn't a law that said that the airlines have to honor the fare.
I don't want to say there's no such law, because there sort of is.. But for all intents and purposes, there's no such law. It's in the process of being rewritten to address this specifically, but that law is not being enforced while it is being rewritten.

You're likely referring to https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...-sec399-88.xml

Which does clearly state

Quote:
(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

But.. Just digging a little bit uncovers this..

https://cms.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fi...t_05082015.pdf

Which states that mistaken fares are not subject to enforcement under 399.88. The airline must prove it is a mistaken fare. The gist of it is, customers who act in 'bad faith' should not expect the fare to be honored.. Which again goes back to the 'reasonable' portion. The DOT also notes that if there is a fare mistake, someone books it, then books hotels, etc that are non-refundable.. Then the airline is responsible to make them whole. So, there COULD be situations where it makes more financial sense for the airline to honor the mistaken fare than to make the customer whole, but.. That would probably be fairly rare.

So.. Again, we're back to a situation where, if you buy a normally $700 fare for $350, and it's a mistake.. The airline would probably have to honor it. It's reasonable to think that is a legitimate fare. However, you buy a normally $7000 fare for $70.. No.

I guess the idea here is if you want to be dishonest.. Book the fare, a hotel and a buttload of activities that are non-refundable so that it would cost the airline more to cancel your ticket than to let you fly.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,583,756 times
About 20 years ago I found a $249 NYC-Bangkok fare. It was unbelievably restricted - only those dates 10 days apart, no changes, must be bought at a AA ticket office... But at that price who cares? I ran over during lunch with the code & bought it & while it was printing out the AA agent was shaking his head saying "We're giving this away to you!"

I collect FF miles as a hobby so that probably was a factor, but I can't remember if that fare accrued FF points. A year or so before that I flew to Asia as a courier, it was a good price but nothing like this.

I still get daily emails on cheap fares, had a pretty cheap one on Aer Lingus Dublin to Lisbon recently, but it wasn't a single digit deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or