Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 10:39 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times

Advertisements

Hotels can be a crapshoot. If I hear a lot of noise next door that is unreasonable, I will immediately go to the front desk and ask for a new room. This happened once when a high school wrestling team was staying in the adjacent room. It sounded like they were holding a practice session.

One thing I never understood about hotels is that there is often a large gap between the floor and the bottom of the door, letting in all kinds of sound from the hallway, even though the door is solid and heavy. Also there's very little sound deadening between floors when the building is under 4 stories and framed with wood. High-rise hotels are steel framed and cement floored so those are usually much more quiet.

Those double-doors to the next room are also a bummer. For all these reasons, I always bring or buy some foam earplugs. That usually lets me sleep through most sonic annoyances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post

Those double-doors to the next room are also a bummer. For all these reasons, I always bring or buy some foam earplugs. That usually lets me sleep through most sonic annoyances.
I travel with a small fan I can keep by my bed for white noise.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:43 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,944,895 times
I always ask for a room on the top floor, away from the stairs and the elevator. The few times I've had noisy neighbors, I just politely knock on their door and make sure they can see the badge and the holstered .38 on my belt. They usually shut up pretty quick.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:19 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I just had a night mare in Palm Desert. The hotel had a large group of construction workers in town and I believe they were staying six to a room and it was an absolute nightmare. The hotel didn't seem to care too much about them disturbing everyone else. Sad.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:18 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I will complaint to management, even if I just stay one night. I might not complain until I check out the next morning, but I let them know, and my yelp review will mention it, and if the management did anything about it.
You did not give management a chance to do anything about it while it was happening but you will mention it in your review.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I never have. I've won the hotel room lottery. There might be some noise early in the evening, but nothing after 11. No parties, banging headboards, or screaming kids. Never. How does that happen?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:28 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
I tend to avoid "downtown" hotels for the sake of the noise. It's less likely that I'll be woken up at 1:30 in the morning by some drunk guy banging at the wrong room door when his key won't work. Although a few years back I was woken up in some suburban hotel, and the guy apologized and left after I opened the door and he saw me; He was probably looking for somebody and I don't physically resemble most others (even through alcohol goggles).

Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
A good hotel will address the problem if it is within their power (ie: problematic guest). I worked in the industry for years and never had anybody leave due to excessive noise.

One funny story though- around midnight one night, an elderly lady called me at the front desk to say next door was playing loud music and she couldn't sleep. I sent security up and from the hallway they couldn't hear anything so we figured it had stopped... she called back 5 minutes later to say that the music had stopped, now they were talking so loudly that it was scaring her. Security insisted they could hear nothing from the hall, so I asked her if it was ok for security to come into her room so they could hear exactly what she was hearing...

It turns out it wasn't the neighboring room... she had the clock radio on her nightstand turned on and didn't realize it 😂

Old 01-27-2017, 04:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Fortunately, I don't recall having the elevator near my room or I would have asked to be moved. I usually stay at resorts and have rarely had to call the front desk. Once or twice, when people took the party to the hallways. But if people are getting in late from being out, hey, no problem man. Once in FL someone called on our large group, had a room that slept 8, for being on the patio talking after it got dark. smh.

Does anyone know what the hotel etiquette is in Paris?
Not hotel related, but FL and patio related, lol

We've had issues here at our community with people out on their patios as all hours...the issue is that their voices carry; couple that with alcohol and you've got drunk, middle age, wanna be's acting like idiots. HOA was notified by several in the neighborhood and it's since quieted down. The biggest offenders are our Canadian snowbirds who think they can do what they want because they 'support' our economy.

I would only call the front desk in a situation like that if it was after a decent hour..say 11pm.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Of course. It can happen in upscale resorts and roadside motels. There's no knowing what you will get.

You can try to insulate yourself at first--if you first arrive at your room and see that it's next to the elevator or the gym or the vending area, go right back downstairs and ask if you can switch rooms. Do so before you've gone into the room, and you'll be more likely to get switched (as they will not have to send up housekeeping to clean the room--yes, even if you never slept in the bed, once you walk in, they have to clean the whole thing again).

Once you go in, if you see it overlooks a noisy street or the pool or has a connecting door, again go back to the front desk as soon as you can. They'll have to clean the room because you've been in it. But still, you are more likely to have your request fulfilled if you bring it to their attention early.

Once you've settled in, if the problem is specifically neighbors, then you should call the front desk and complain. They will send someone up to ask the neighbors to be quiet. Decent hotels will address this--if someone is noisy there's a good chance they are also being messy and the manager wants to know about it. Yes, hotels have the right to evict guests, even in the middle of the night, if the don't comply (I know of some recent unruly guests that were evicted from an expensive DC hotel on inauguration night because of noise and refusing to comply with the manager's directives. I wonder where they ended up spending the rest of the night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel