U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,462,215 times

Advertisements

Really appreciate all the advice.

Yes I meant LAX airport in Los Angeles

I am visiting an adult kid and will be there 2 weeks.

I only have about 2 hours in LAX both ways which worries me, but I will just do the best I can to make
the connection.
ps..checked my tickets..I have 1 1/2 hr in LAX going and 2 hr 15 min returning thru LAX.

I will post how it all went when I return..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 08:48 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am flying from NC to LA and then to New Zealand in a few days.
This is my first international flight and I want to know what to expect.
If your bags are going to be checked through from NC to New Zealand, you will have to be at the airport in NC as early as if you were flying directly to New Zealand. In that regard, you will be considered as flying international. For instance, if you were just flying to LA, you would generally be expected to be at the airport in NC an hour prior to your flight. But since you've got a connecting flight in LA instead, you should plan to be at the airport in NC two hours prior to your flight.

Maybe I'll run into you in New Zealand. I'll be flying from Salt Lake City to San Francisco and then to New Zealand in a few days. Not looking forward to the flight AT ALL!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:55 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Is you flight from NC to LAX and your flight from LAX to New Zealand on the same ticket? If yes, then the above information is correct, and you can check your bags straight through from NC to NZ.

If you booked these flights separately and they are on different tickets, you will have to claim your bags at LAX and schlep them yourself to the international terminal.

Do not put your prescription meds or ANYTHING irreplaceable in thevery checked luggage. Those items stay with you in carry on.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,566,866 times
Last year I did fly from Loisville to Amsterdam via Detroit. Got out the plane in Detroit, and the ona to Amsterdam was sitting on the oppsite site, so maybe 100 ft walking. No customs.
I only travel with carry on.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
The guys who stamp your passport are not Customs - they are Immigration Control. They may demand to see your return ticket or onward ticket to another country. If you have neither, they tend to assume you are a would-be illegal immigrant and send you straight back home. So have your tickets handy!
Kelly237, you don't say what the purpose of your trip is. I assumed it was for a vacation but if it isn't you may need to apply for a visa. See: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-.../options/visit
Not passport control. Just additional random checkpoint (just a guy standing along the walkway) asking whether you brought fruit, why are you here, blah blah. I travel a lot and NZ is the only place I saw this.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:03 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It's common to be asked to show your passport at the gate along with your boarding pass. Even though there was a 'docs check' when you checked in for the flight (and it's marked on your boarding pass) the airline wants to make sure you didn't unknowingly drop it in the toilet when you took a restroom stop on your way to the gate- international treaties say airlines can face large fines for passengers denied entry upon arrival.

While it's not like New Zealand, the US also has limits on food and other items you're allowed to bring back in the country (no fresh foods, certain novelty items like Kinder eggs an canned haggis are also banned) California agriculture is vulnerable enough you might see the Department of Agriculture inspection beagles in the LAX arrivals area.
Yep, I was asked right after exiting the gate. They did not ask everyone though, profiling? NZ is the only place I saw this and I travel extensively.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:21 PM

12,291 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Yep, I was asked right after exiting the gate. They did not ask everyone though, profiling? NZ is the only place I saw this and I travel extensively.
In NZ they sprayed my hiking boots with some sort of defoliant or disenfective. This was years ago, over a decade, so my memory isn't exact. I think while going through customs they asked me if I had been on a farm and I told them I had while wearing my hiking boots. So it got "the spray". Pretty strange.
Upon departure they had some sort of "departure tax" that I had to pay seperatly.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,355,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Really appreciate all the advice.

Yes I meant LAX airport in Los Angeles

I am visiting an adult kid and will be there 2 weeks.

I only have about 2 hours in LAX both ways which worries me, but I will just do the best I can to make
the connection.
ps..checked my tickets..I have 1 1/2 hr in LAX going and 2 hr 15 min returning thru LAX.

I will post how it all went when I return..
We flew round trip LAX to Lima and returned last Thursday, Jan 26. Security going both ways, leaving and returning was a breeze.

(We've also flown internationally via JFK and Houston. They're a fricking nightmare, avoid)

LAX international has completely automated its incoming Passport Control process for US citizens. There are rows of green-lighted security kiosks on which you swipe your passport, the thing takes your picture a spurts out a copy of the photo receipt, you take that receipt to to the security guy who stamps your passport and waves you through. Easy as that. It took us all of about 10 minutes coming in.

That compared to the complete stupid TSA chitshow that is JFK, or the sub-literate gubmint morons who staff the international terminal at Bush Int'l in Houston. Both take forever.

Congrats on choosing LAX. Good choice.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:24 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
The only tip I have is try to sleep as much as possible on the flight. Jet lag is a bummer and often takes DAYS to overcome so get some otc sleep aid and force yourself to sleep.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

If you booked these flights separately and they are on different tickets, you will have to claim your bags at LAX and schlep them yourself to the international terminal.
Even if you have booked your fights separately it's possible that you may be able to check your bags through to your final destination if your airlines are part of the same travel alliance, even if they are different airlines. You should always ask when checking your bags. But keep in mind you are going to have to claim your bags upon your first entry into the US to clear customs even if they have been checked through to your final destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or