U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:49 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,489,036 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if they are considered on the same ticket but they were all booked at the same time with a
complete itinerary.

Good to know about the extra time from RDU..I was thinking it would be considered domestic until I flew from LAX.

Glad to hear LAX is a good choice. Last time thru there my terminal was under construction and pretty
chaotic.

All the airport protests right now are not helping with my nerves.

For the departure tax can I pay that with my charge card ?? I got a Schwab card that will not have
international fees.

One last question..My prescription meds are all in one container in my purse.
I never keep the original containers.
Now I am reading that all rx should be in original containers.. Is this a problem.
It's just blood pz & cholesterol meds & vitamins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM

13,098 posts, read 4,935,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am not sure if they are considered on the same ticket but they were all booked at the same time with a
complete itinerary.

Good to know about the extra time from RDU..I was thinking it would be considered domestic until I flew from LAX.

Glad to hear LAX is a good choice. Last time thru there my terminal was under construction and pretty
chaotic.

All the airport protests right now are not helping with my nerves.

For the departure tax can I pay that with my charge card ?? I got a Schwab card that will not have
international fees.

One last question..My prescription meds are all in one container in my purse.
I never keep the original containers.
Now I am reading that all rx should be in original containers.. Is this a problem.
It's just blood pz & cholesterol meds & vitamins.
I carried medication for years in one of those segmented pill boxes and never got hassled. But if it requires a prescription I would carry a copy of it. Often your pharacist will fix you up. Or the doctor in a pinch. As you are not a seasoned traveler consider getting a reasonable sleeping potion. Ambien or similar. I don't need anything to Europe though I would take one the first night there as well but more than 5 or 6 time zones and I got such bad insomnia I ended a ten day trip four days early as I was getting psychotic. After that I always carried a few sleeping pills.

I would also have two hundred bucks or so in cash. Things happen. A little cash is often handy. Get some small bills too. Often a well placed tip can make life smooth. I would actually carry five hundred or more. And that was 20 years ago. I traveled in relatively expensive circles though.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:05 PM

9,136 posts, read 17,194,651 times
Yes, once you cross a border US->NZ and NZ->US they Meds should be in their original container with the RX on it. Customs/DEA does not like to see a pile of random pills in one container.

You can have your Pharmacy pack them into smaller batches just what you will need for the trip.

It should be in your "Pocket" Book/UnderSeat bag.

Sometimes the Overhead are full and you are forced to gate check your Carry-on suitcase, Be prepared, No Meds, No Valuables should be in your carry on. (If space is a issue in your underseat bag) Pre-pack all the Important stuff in a small bag inside your carry-on so if you need to you can open it grab that stuff out. So its with you in the event of a Gate Check.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:14 PM

All this is so helpful..

I doubt I have time to get ambient because I need to be at the airport by 3:30 tomorrow.
Antihistamines knock me out usually so I will take those..

I don't sleep normal anyway..Sometimes every other night, often sleep at random times..
So I doubt a time change will be any different than my weird sleeping habits anyway.

Will check with Pharmacy in the morning about getting at lease a list of each med, if not
labeled packages.

About my carry on..All I will have is a small bookbag/backpack with my purse inside that.
On my other flights I have been able to put it under the seat so I have my coat which I use as a pillow,
kindle, snacks, water.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:23 PM

13,098 posts, read 4,935,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, once you cross a border US->NZ and NZ->US they Meds should be in their original container with the RX on it. Customs/DEA does not like to see a pile of random pills in one container.

You can have your Pharmacy pack them into smaller batches just what you will need for the trip.

It should be in your "Pocket" Book/UnderSeat bag.

Sometimes the Overhead are full and you are forced to gate check your Carry-on suitcase, Be prepared, No Meds, No Valuables should be in your carry on. (If space is a issue in your underseat bag) Pre-pack all the Important stuff in a small bag inside your carry-on so if you need to you can open it grab that stuff out. So its with you in the event of a Gate Check.
Ah comeon. Even since I quit heavy flying no one breaks your hump about prescriptions unless they suspect drug smuggling. And they are quite good at identifying the chosen ones.

Let us be clear. One can draw the wrong card and get a hell of a hard time from Customs...particularly in the US. and then you get into whether or not you have prescriptions and if they are really being difficult they want not only the bottle and the prescription but they want to phone the pharmicist.

In 50 years and 5 million miles I have seen it a half dozen times and never experienced it. If you don't give off that aura that customs picks up you virtually never get hassled.

And have a carry-on that will fit under a seat. If all else fails you put it there. But don't try the carry on all your stuff on a long haul coach. Just don't. I carried on virtually all the time but I virtually always flew business or first class. And I had enough pull with a couple of airlines that I could get my luggage on come hell or high water.

The NZ types are invariably nice people. They are one of the thorough immigration places but very nice about it. So you will almost certainly enjoy your arrival. When you get home however...we are not so nice. though I hear LAX international is getting automated enough that citizens will get right through.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:01 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,656,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Ah comeon. Even since I quit heavy flying no one breaks your hump about prescriptions unless they suspect drug smuggling. And they are quite good at identifying the chosen ones.

Let us be clear. One can draw the wrong card and get a hell of a hard time from Customs...particularly in the US. and then you get into whether or not you have prescriptions and if they are really being difficult they want not only the bottle and the prescription but they want to phone the pharmicist.

In 50 years and 5 million miles I have seen it a half dozen times and never experienced it. If you don't give off that aura that customs picks up you virtually never get hassled.

And have a carry-on that will fit under a seat. If all else fails you put it there. But don't try the carry on all your stuff on a long haul coach. Just don't. I carried on virtually all the time but I virtually always flew business or first class. And I had enough pull with a couple of airlines that I could get my luggage on come hell or high water.

The NZ types are invariably nice people. They are one of the thorough immigration places but very nice about it. So you will almost certainly enjoy your arrival. When you get home however...we are not so nice. though I hear LAX international is getting automated enough that citizens will get right through.
The machines definitely help.
I passed through LAX like a breeze when coming in last year.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:01 AM

14,048 posts, read 7,490,249 times
Connecting in LAX, you pretty much always have to change terminals and airlines. Assuming you have enough time for your connection, I wouldn't check my bags through to New Zealand.

Make sure you have a pen in your carry-on bag to fill out the customs/immigration forms.

I've done LAX to Sydney a couple times in business class. I can't imagine doing that flight in economy.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,601,524 times
Kelly237, when you get to NZ, the first thing you do before you leave the airport is find an ATM and make a withdrawal to get some NZ dollars (don't forget to tell your bank where and when you are going or they will freak out when they see someone half a world away accessing your account).

If you were going to some dirt-poor third world country you might well find people willing to lick your boots for a dollar bill. In other first world countries, US dollars are almost useless. You must have the local currency. Attempting to pay for anything in US dollars marks you out as a dumb tourist ripe for fleecing.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Connecting in LAX, you pretty much always have to change terminals and airlines. Assuming you have enough time for your connection, I wouldn't check my bags through to New Zealand.
Not sure what that means ??
I was planning to do what the people at the luggage check in at RDU tell me too..

If I don't "check through to NZ" , are you saying I reclaim them in LAX and recheck them ??

Old 01-30-2017, 08:16 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,100,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Not sure what that means ??
I was planning to do what the people at the luggage check in at RDU tell me too..

If I don't "check through to NZ" , are you saying I reclaim them in LAX and recheck them ??
I think they were cautioning against checking in bags in general. If you had less than an hour between connections, I would say that you should be worried about your bags making it thorough but 2 hours should be enough. I would just double check at the check in counter that your flight to LAX isn't running late. You should also pack at least a day's worth of clothes in your carry on, that's just good practice even if you have plenty of time between flights. You never know if you need to do an emergency change on the plane and you have something in case your bag is delayed. This is more of an issue when your leaving home for your destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or