U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:24 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,634,457 times

Advertisements

Do you concern about being retaliated or targeted when traveling to other countries, especially middle eastern hubs (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Amman or Muscat)?
I have a trip coming up and I feel less safe now traveling abroad as American.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:41 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Nope.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM

37,964 posts, read 55,724,604 times
No.
No reason to be paranoid.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:20 PM

15,201 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Mod cut.

I might actually think twice in Middle Eastern countries...but regardless of whether there's the chance of violence, I think a lot of countries will be less-enamored of Americans than ever.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-30-2017 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Mass delete: Leave personal politics out of it, please.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:22 PM

609 posts, read 374,297 times
I don't think it's paranoid. I'm traveling to Mexico in a week and even I'm worried.

This week's travel ban even prevents Americans from traveling to certain countries--even aid workers can't go to needy countries now. How do we know this scuffle over the border wall isn't going to escalate and suddenly we can't go to Cancun anymore?

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-30-2017 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Leave personal politics out of it, please.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:31 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
What you are more likely to encounter are people want to commiserate with you. I assume that most people who are traveling to places like the Middle East are less likely to be Trump supporters. I have traveled internationally twice since the election (South Africa and Cuba) and the conversations that I have had mostly focused on worry about what will happen during the presidency. I think that people in other countries can separate the American people from the American government. As long as you aren't planning on wearing a "MAGA" hat while visiting another country you will likely be fine.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:10 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Do you concern about being retaliated or targeted when traveling to other countries, especially middle eastern hubs (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Amman or Muscat)?
You'll be fine.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I don't think it's paranoid. I'm traveling to Mexico in a week and even I'm worried.

This week's travel ban even prevents Americans from traveling to certain countries--even aid workers can't go to needy countries now. How do we know this scuffle over the border wall isn't going to escalate and suddenly we can't go to Cancun anymore?

We have an unstable dictator in power now...there's no telling what the future weeks and months bring. Even normal things like European vacations may suddenly become illegal.

You'll probably be fine if you tell every Mexican you meet that you think the US has an unstable dictator in power. Apologize profusely for all of us, please. I would start shouting all that in the airport terminal when you arrive - you will probably fly through Customs and maybe even get a free 'welcome' drink.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,369,658 times
Oh I have been pounded on in Holland/Belgium since the Bush administration , but that was only my inlaws ( EXCLUDING my parents in law ) and their friends. I speak Spanish a lot when I am there . They cannot decipher it .
I had 8 blessed years where no one bothered me now I am back to apologizing .

Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Why do you feel less safe now? Did you just wake up?

There have been attacks for years on Americans by in what many would think of as "safe" European countries, so if it happens again it would be nothing new, and certainly nothing that should be blamed on the current administration in Washington. These attacks were not done by the natives of European countries, but rather by guests from the Mid-East and North Africa.

Go and enjoy your trip. The chances of something happening to you will be slim to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or