U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,458,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Thanks for the additional feedback. Snow is the other concern I have and am wondering if my plans for the mountains may not be realistic for this time of year.
Can you make the trip earlier in the month?

We spent 9 days in the park just after Labor Day, and I would heartily suggest that time period for a visit. While there were still bunches of people there (our campground was full up the entire time), it was definitely not overwhelming in terms of crowds. We had snow one day, but it was definitely not anything crazy and it melted pretty quick.

In terms of overall time in Yellowstone, I'd suggest not less than 4-5 days if you want to be able to breathe and actually appreciate the area a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:11 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,409,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Don't forget you could drive up north and go to Glacier National Park - beautiful!
That's even more of a gamble. Going to the Sun road, all the way across, can close for the season by mid-September...or stay open to mid October. Flip a coin.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Thanks for the additional feedback. Snow is the other concern I have and am wondering if my plans for the mountains may not be realistic for this time of year.
While snow is possible in Yellowstone and the Tetons, if you dressed for the weather, you could still enjoy the trip. If you were to make the five-hour drive from the Tetons to the Salt Lake City area, you could see some spectacular mountain scenery in the Wasatch Mountains just a half an hour east of the city and snow in even late September is pretty rare. Five hours (max) further south would get you to any one of "The Mighty Five" national parks, where the weather in September would be just about perfect.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-30-2017 at 03:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 04:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
7-10 days max, unless you can do some backcountry trips, or drive to nearby bighorns, thermopolis, ID, MT, star valley.... be sure to drive the Beartooth hwy if still open. Get in some snowshoeing if weather permits or requires. Float trip is very nice way to see wildlife.

There are many interesting areas nearby. Check photo blogs for your tastes.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:00 PM

9,076 posts, read 8,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Can you make the trip earlier in the month?

We spent 9 days in the park just after Labor Day, and I would heartily suggest that time period for a visit. While there were still bunches of people there (our campground was full up the entire time), it was definitely not overwhelming in terms of crowds. We had snow one day, but it was definitely not anything crazy and it melted pretty quick.

In terms of overall time in Yellowstone, I'd suggest not less than 4-5 days if you want to be able to breathe and actually appreciate the area a bit.
My vacation time is pretty locked in but I should check it out to see if it could be moved at all. Last time I visited the mountains, Canadian Rockies, we arrived the last day of August, partly because of my weather concerns. That balance between kids back at school versus Mother Nature.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM

9,076 posts, read 8,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
While snow is possible in Yellowstone and the Tetons, if you dressed for the weather, you could still enjoy the trip. If you were to make the five-hour drive from the Tetons to the Salt Lake City area, you could see some spectacular mountain scenery in the Wasatch Mountains just a half an hour east of the city and snow in even late September is pretty rare. Five hours (max) further south would get you to any one of "The Mighty Five" national parks, where the weather in September would be just about perfect.
It's like you're reading my mind! I was looking at SLC, as well as Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, etc. We've been to Bryce and Zion. But I don't want to overextend ourselves either. We do love road trips though. Decisions, decisions.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:11 PM

15,909 posts, read 6,260,165 times
Quote:
We are planning a two week trip for late September and up until yesterday it was going to be a driving trip from home into New England. Now we're looking at Colorado/Wyoming/Utah area.

Since this is very preliminary, I'm wondering how many days would be good (or long enough) to spend in Yellowstone and Grand Teton? If it helps, we are photography buffs. TIA!
Depending on how much hiking you'd want to do I'd budget two days and nights for Teton, and one for Yellowstone.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:11 PM

21,959 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
It's like you're reading my mind! I was looking at SLC, as well as Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, etc. We've been to Bryce and Zion. But I don't want to overextend ourselves either. We do love road trips though. Decisions, decisions.
What can I say that won't just make your decision even harder? Keep in mind that Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef are as different from one another as Bryce and Zion are from each other!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,579 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
It's like you're reading my mind! I was looking at SLC, as well as Arches, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, etc. ... We do love road trips though. Decisions, decisions.
Use this as a weather 'backup' 8 hrs between Jackson and Moab. I usually drive most of this route at night to leave the daylight for beauty.

There are a couple very pretty scenic Byways enroute, either Bearlake to Logan, UT (western route), or Flaming Gorge (near Rock Springs) (eastern loop). But you can schedule as suits your fancy, and the prevailing weather. After 30 yrs in Colorado and WY (often trucking or via motorcycle). I keep a plan B and C and D....

You will have a great time, and there are many excellent options. And the parks themselves, terrific. My favorites are Tetons and NE corner of Yellowstone. My very best experience was the sunrise float trip from Jackson Dam to Jackson. (Solo raft with 3 of us)

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM

1,176 posts, read 478,714 times
Have been to Arches and very highly recommend it. It would be an especially nice choice for photography, as the arches and other rock formations are stunning. You can experience much of what it has to offer in a couple days, though you might be tempted to add a day or two if you're a serious photographer.

While I can technically say I've been to Canyonlands since I got partway inside on a boat tour of the Colorado River out of Moab, I can't give any real advice on the park. Have never been to Capitol Reef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or