U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM

541 posts, read 1,816,923 times

Advertisements

We did 5 nights Glacier (2 nights Apgar/3 nights Many Glacier), 8 nights Yellowstone (2 nights Mammoth, 2 Roosevelt, 2 Lake, 2 Old Faithful), 1 night Cody (and Beartooth/Chief Joseph), 2 nights Grand Teton and 2 nights Jackson in July. We just hit the highlights of each spot and it was our 2nd time in the area.

Last October we did 12 nights for the Grand Circle and Utah. 1 night Las Vegas (flew in on a night flight and picked up rental car), 2 nights Zion, 1 Bryce, 1 Torrey (Capitol Reef), 2 Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), 1 Mesa Verde, 1 Monument Valley, 1 Page (Antelope Canyon), 2 Grand Canyon. It was rushed but amazing. 14 nights would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times
BTW, end of September is a great time to do the Utah National Parks. It's still high elevation and cool but much further south so less chance of severe weather. And those parks are just too hot in summer to be really enjoyed. End of September is perfect.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:12 PM

9,076 posts, read 8,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
BTW, end of September is a great time to do the Utah National Parks. It's still high elevation and cool but much further south so less chance of severe weather. And those parks are just too hot in summer to be really enjoyed. End of September is perfect.
Now I may be abandoning Wyoming for Utah. . Adore the Southwest, never need an excuse to go back, and it's been 5 years since our last road-trip in that area. I did check the vacation schedule at work and the two weeks prior to the ones I've booked are available so could change vacation from Sept 23 to Sept 9 if I wanted to stick with the original plan...

Old 01-31-2017, 05:28 PM

21,960 posts, read 22,118,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Have been to Arches and very highly recommend it. It would be an especially nice choice for photography, as the arches and other rock formations are stunning. You can experience much of what it has to offer in a couple days, though you might be tempted to add a day or two if you're a serious photographer.

While I can technically say I've been to Canyonlands since I got partway inside on a boat tour of the Colorado River out of Moab, I can't give any real advice on the park. Have never been to Capitol Reef.
I'm a native Utahn, and I hadn't been to Capitol Reef until maybe about 10 years ago. My husband and I went down there last summer (his first visit) and he said it's his favorite of the "Mighty Five" (I love that nickname! ). A few years back, when I was trying to find a one-word label for each of Utah's five parks, I finally settled on these:

Bryce: Magical
Zion: Majestic
Arches: Startling
Capitol Reef: Alien
Canyonlands: Remote

Others may disagree, but to me, these fit.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:38 PM

9,076 posts, read 8,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
We did 5 nights Glacier (2 nights Apgar/3 nights Many Glacier), 8 nights Yellowstone (2 nights Mammoth, 2 Roosevelt, 2 Lake, 2 Old Faithful), 1 night Cody (and Beartooth/Chief Joseph), 2 nights Grand Teton and 2 nights Jackson in July. We just hit the highlights of each spot and it was our 2nd time in the area.

Last October we did 12 nights for the Grand Circle and Utah. 1 night Las Vegas (flew in on a night flight and picked up rental car), 2 nights Zion, 1 Bryce, 1 Torrey (Capitol Reef), 2 Moab (Arches/Canyonlands), 1 Mesa Verde, 1 Monument Valley, 1 Page (Antelope Canyon), 2 Grand Canyon. It was rushed but amazing. 14 nights would be great.
Last road-trip, we flew in and out of Las Vegas, and did a road trip across Route 66 in AZ, detour to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, into NM, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, up through Four Corners, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. Incredible.

Would love to do the canyons of eastern Utah, Mesa Verde, and Yellowstone and Grand Tetons but I wonder if that is too ambitious for two weeks. I'm going to keep myself amused for the next while trying to figure this out.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,460,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Would love to do the canyons of eastern Utah, Mesa Verde, and Yellowstone and Grand Tetons but I wonder if that is too ambitious for two weeks. I'm going to keep myself amused for the next while trying to figure this out.
Definitely ambitious.

I just ran this itinerary by my partner, who's the planner in our relationship, and his response was "does she actually want to *see* anything in this trip, or just say that she went?".

We'd definitely split it- do Yellowstone, Tetons and surrounds on one trip and save Utah and Colorado for a separate trip.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 PM

9,194 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Last road-trip, we flew in and out of Las Vegas, and did a road trip across Route 66 in AZ, detour to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, into NM, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, up through Four Corners, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion. Incredible.

Its probably too ambitious. However, let me make some suggestions about other things to do that aren't too far away. You will want to see the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyoming which is outside the east end of the park on the Theodore Roosevelt Highway. You might want to consider going to the Green River Lakes which isn't too far away. It is to the east of Yellowstone. Lots of hiking and trails there if that suits your fancy. It may even be worth your while to spend an afternoon looking around Jackson, Wyoming outside Grand Teton National Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or