U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,106,691 times

Advertisements

Portland OR
Folsom CA - I was pleasantly surprised by Folsom, much nicer than I'd expected it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,112,478 times
King Street, Charleston, SC!

https://www.charlestonsfinest.com/sc/exclusking.htm

Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM

356 posts, read 236,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
Good point on the college towns. Arizona is on our list of potential places like Flagstaff and maybe Sedona. My son wants to go north where it is cooler each year as we live in the south and he actually mentioned the Great Lakes. I am not sure how far Ann Arbor is from there but it might have potential.

Some of the other great ideas we have done. We have been to many of the cities in Colorado and they do have some great little towns. We love just going from town to town. Last year we did the New England tour in Maine, NH, VT, etc.
I lived in AZ for 8 years and have been to Flagstaff and Sedona, I did not get the foodie vibe or that they were really even walkable.

A place that I used to live that is a walkable, foodie heaven is Portland OR and let's not forget our cousin to the North, Seattle, WA. You could even go coastal or more North to Canada. PDX to Vancouver BC could be a really fun road trip Have fun!! You really can't go wrong in any direction from the PNW.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,345,779 times
Default Savannah and Myrtle Beach

Both are blue collar paradises except when it's so hot that your sweat evaporates so quickly that you overheat in the sun and get tunnel vision shortly before passing out in 100% humidity.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
I am asking this in travel rather than food as that forum seems to be focused more on recipes and what you had to eat today, lol.

The best thing we love when we travel is visiting small towns or large ones that have for instance a long street with local eating places (fast type food and restaurants), bakeries, bread shops, candy shops, etc. We really enjoy just walking and sampling all along the way from the various places. Not a farmers market type venue but established store fronts.

I believe we were in Burlington, VT last year passing through and they had like an outdoor mall area with lots of shops and eating places. We sampled pizza, ice cream, and ate at a local spot. Of course they had small shops too.

Is there anywhere that sticks out in anyone's mind like this they enjoyed that we might plan a stop when passing through as we plan our summer vacation? Family friendly not looking for lots of outdoor bars or pubs.

Thanks for any suggestions.
If looking for a trip in the NC and VA Blue Ridge Mountains check out Brevard NC (one of my favorite small towns), Hendersonville NC, Asheville NC, Blowing Rock NC, Roanoke VA, Lexington VA, Staunton VA and Charlottesville VA

Old 02-01-2017, 07:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Go to Boston, especially the streets leading to Faneuil Hall. It doesn't matter whether you stay at (North End, West End, whatever). All the streets have plenty of shops and restaurants to sample within walking distance. And it's pedestrian only streets around Faneuil Hall itself, and if you continue walking, you'll reach the waterfront where you can catch one of the boats for whale watching. Also food galore, from open air market where you can sample food, bars, etc.

Chicago is another city made for walking, especially downtown on or near Magnificent Mile. And when you're tired of walking, you can hop on a boat for a river cruise. Ditto the food, from sampling gourmet popcorn, ducking into a big music shop, restaurants, etc.

Then of course there's New York City and its surrounding boroughs.

Baltimore and Philadelphia are also good walking cities with good food. They both have covered markets worth checking (Lexington market in Baltimore and Reading market in Philly).

Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,484,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If looking for a trip in the NC and VA Blue Ridge Mountains check out Brevard NC (one of my favorite small towns), Hendersonville NC, Asheville NC, Blowing Rock NC, Roanoke VA, Lexington VA, Staunton VA and Charlottesville VA
I second Hendersonville and Asheville.. Great cities to do exactly what you are wanting

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,623,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I second Hendersonville and Asheville.. Great cities to do exactly what you are wanting
Third.

Asheville is a great walking city.

Charleston and Savannah if you're looking for coastal excursions. I'd throw in West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale as well.

Seattle has a nice area to walk around in, spent a few days there and loved it. It's a large city obviously but the fish market/downtown area is very walking friendly with plenty of cool places to checkout.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,427,493 times
Best? You're describing pretty much any city that isn't dominated by urban sprawl: NYC, Boston, Chicago, SF, New Orleans, Philadelphia, etc. Even more car-oriented places (L.A., Houston, Austin, Portland) has what you describe, and so will many many smaller cities (Charleston, Savannah, Portland Maine, Ashville, etc).

Obviously, outside of the US this ridiculously easy to find, too, from Mexico City to Paris to Hanoi. Just pick a continent, really.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Most European and Asian cities are like that. Paris, Barcelona, Tokyo, Shanghai etc etc. Smaller cities function exactly the same, just on a lower scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Obviously, outside of the US this ridiculously easy to find, too, from Mexico City to Paris to Hanoi. Just pick a continent, really.
exactly so.

Also, in those countries, people don't call it "famer's market" as if it were something exotically special. It is just called "market" as they are a mainstream lifestyle. I have one just across the street from my apartment. Extremely busy on weekend morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or