U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I just found out yesterday that Uber is available in the Asheville NC area now. (no Lyft here yet I am told)

Unfortunately, it is only available for people who use smartphones (connected to the internet). I could apparently use it from a computer too but that would only work if I was at home - so I might be able to get one to 'go' some place but not to get home. Even cabs are hard to get (and VERY expensive) in this part of town so I was happy to hear about Uber availability and then disappointed to find out it won't work for me.

I have a vehicle so usually that is not a problem but today, for instance, I had to take my RV in for a spring checkup and leave it there overnight - about 7 miles from home and I will need to return to pick it up again tomorrow. There are a few times when a service like Uber would be a big boon for me. Too bad.
That's an easy fix. Get a smart phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 AM

8,195 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Conversation? Always a good thing for a good rider experience, but you have to gauge who wants to talk and who doesn't. I have a couple/three open-ended questions that will break the ice. You will soon find out who likes to converse and who doesn't. But, as a driver, you must start it. It is human nature, but you will quickly find out a lot about your rider in the first 60 seconds.
No, it's not always a good thing. I dislike when taxi and Uber drivers want to strike up a conversation with me. I'm in your vehicle to get from Point A to Point B, not to discuss current events or any other non-traffic-related topic with you.

What does always make for a great rider experience is when an Uber driver offers their passenger(s) a cold bottle of water, especially on a hot day. That 15-20 cent bottle of water will usually mean an extra $1-$2 tip from me. And speaking of tipping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Other things that Uber doesn't really talk about much...first, tips. Most do NOT tip. But it is important to note that Uber has a policy of a "cashless ride". So a tip is NOT expected. Some will, and I found that those who do are quite generous. Uber does not disallow signs that say "tips accepted", but I won't do that. I think it just puts more pressure on the rider.
I love using Uber and I always tip the driver. As you note Uber is supposed to be cashless, so I think Uber does drivers a great disservice by not providing a way to tip drivers through the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
This is interesting! I've wondered how this Uber Driver thing worked! How do you get more info? I'm traveling to Florida in a couple of weeks and have wondered if they are available in Ft. Myers area?
If you want to learn more about Uber from the drivers' perspective, there is a forum (similar to C-D) just for that purpose.

https://uberpeople.net/

Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Is Uber available in Auckland, New Zealand and Sydney, Australia?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,322,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

I have one. Had no choice because I go back and forth to/from Canada - and Canada changed their protocol recently so I had to buy a new phone. However, all access to the internet is intentionally blocked - it is ONLY for voice calls. The reason for that is just because I travel a lot and it is too expensive to use it for anything but voice anywhere but in the US. It is turned off on my account so I can't make a mistake that could cost me thousands of dollars more than the $175 or so a month I am already paying.

Additionally, I have absolutely NO use for access to the internet when I am out and about except perhaps this one app that I might use once in a blue moon. I just can't justify it based on that.

My comment was not a criticism of Uber .. I understand that whether I like it or not, they are able to operate because they don't have the overhead that a taxi company might have with people to answer phones and make reservations, etc. My comment was only to say that it is too bad I cannot use Uber (and I would bet I am not alone despite the proliferation of smartphones out there today) because the only real access to it is an app that must be used on a smartphone. I was just sorry to find that out because where I live out here even getting a taxi is a nightmare and horrendously expensive so I had hoped Uber was an option for me for those occasional times I might need transportation.

So yes, you are technically correct, I COULD unleash my access to the internet on this phone - but I won't.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:04 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Quote:
I have one. Had no choice because I go back and forth to/from Canada - and Canada changed their protocol recently so I had to buy a new phone. However, all access to the internet is intentionally blocked - it is ONLY for voice calls. The reason for that is just because I travel a lot and it is too expensive to use it for anything but voice anywhere but in the US. It is turned off on my account so I can't make a mistake that could cost me thousands of dollars more than the $175 or so a month I am already paying.

Additionally, I have absolutely NO use for access to the internet when I am out and about except perhaps this one app that I might use once in a blue moon. I just can't justify it based on that.

My comment was not a criticism of Uber .. I understand that whether I like it or not, they are able to operate because they don't have the overhead that a taxi company might have with people to answer phones and make reservations, etc. My comment was only to say that it is too bad I cannot use Uber (and I would bet I am not alone despite the proliferation of smartphones out there today) because the only real access to it is an app that must be used on a smartphone. I was just sorry to find that out because where I live out here even getting a taxi is a nightmare and horrendously expensive so I had hoped Uber was an option for me for those occasional times I might need transportation.

So yes, you are technically correct, I COULD unleash my access to the internet on this phone - but I won't.
I have Verizon and if I'm already using voice in Canada, it costs nothing extra to use data and get internet access. I know, because I travel through Canada several times a year.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:47 PM

14,661 posts, read 9,713,728 times
I am still not into this sharing economy, being Uber or Airbnb. Just don't feel comfortable getting into some unmarked car and be driven away in a town I don't know. I would be doubly more nervous if I were a female. I am not even sure how they make money. My son rode Uber to BWI from Baltimore and cost him $20. At 50 cents a mile to operate a car plus Uber's cut, what's left?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,153,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
To the person who thinks I must live under a rock....just about. I live in a very rural New England town! There are no Uber drivers around here, so it's not anything I would be exposed to or have the option of using. Naturally if I am going to a large city and would like to get around, I would be curious about how the Uber thing works!
I would check Uber's website for more information, or just do an internet search on "Uber".

To oversimplify, the way it works is you download the Uber (or Lyft or other ride-sharing service) app on your smartphone and set up an account with the service. When you set up the account, you'll need to load/enter information for at least one credit card into your account. To use Uber, click on the app when you are near the location where you'd like to be picked up, and select your ride type and where you'd like to be dropped off. (You can get a shared ride, or a larger or fancier vehicle, and other vehicle options; check their website for more details.) The GPS in your phone will find a nearby Uber driver and ping the driver to find out if he/she is willing to pick you up. If that driver is willing, you'll then get a time estimate for how long you have to wait to be picked up, as well as a price for the trip (i.e. it isn't like a taxi where you don't know the exact cost until the trip ends). You'll also receive information about the driver's name, car model/make and color, and license plate number so you can find the driver where they get to your location. Once the driver picks you up, they use their own GPS or knowledge of the street system to drive you to identified location. (You can still help with directions if you prefer.) At the end of the trip, you can tip the driver via the app, but it isn't required.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,153,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am still not into this sharing economy, being Uber or Airbnb. Just don't feel comfortable getting into some unmarked car and be driven away in a town I don't know. I would be doubly more nervous if I were a female. I am not even sure how they make money. My son rode Uber to BWI from Baltimore and cost him $20. At 50 cents a mile to operate a car plus Uber's cut, what's left?
I think Uber, Lyft, and similar services don't count mileage at a 50 cents a mile rate.

It should be noted you are required to have a relatively new car (something like 7 years old or younger) to become an Uber or Lyft driver.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:51 PM

9,662 posts, read 4,553,619 times
Quote:

Why can't you just turn off Roaming Data? No need to turn on or off as you bounce around countries. If you're on your home carrier network you have internet, if not then you don't. And when outside your home carrier it's usually pretty easy to connect to a wifi hotspot provided by almost all hotels and many restaurants and other public places.

We didn't need smartphone 20 years ago. We didn't need phones at all 100 years ago. And we didn't need electricity 200 years ago. The thing about technology is that you find ways to use it when you have it so if you had internet access on your phone I'd bet in a few years you'd be using it in a dozen ways. For example, you could probably save a lot of money on voice calls when traveling by making calls over Skype or any number of voip telephony apps. Or use maps to find places or send texts over wifi instead of sms or check airline/hotel reservations.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 PM

5,548 posts, read 3,690,388 times
[quote=MadManofBethesda;47146978]No, it's not always a good thing. I dislike when taxi and Uber drivers want to strike up a conversation with me. I'm in your vehicle to get from Point A to Point B, not to discuss current events or any other non-traffic-related topic with you.

Notice I said, you have to gauge the conversation. If someone doesn't want to converse, I don't push it.

" love using Uber and I always tip the driver. As you note Uber is supposed to be cashless, so I think Uber does drivers a great disservice by not providing a way to tip drivers through the app."

Agreed, but I won't put up a "tipping is welcome" sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or