Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times

Advertisements

Anybody bothered by noisy people staying in rooms above/below/next to your room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Often. Rarely to the point of me complaining. I have called the front desk a few times...one case I remember specifically were some college-aged guys breaking glass in the hallway around 1 AM (think they were beer bottles). Security put a stop to it.

Otherwise, if it's just people being people (loud talking, kids screaming, etc) I guess you could call a front desk and asked to be moved, but otherwise...that's life.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Yes. Unfortunately it's a part of staying in a hotel. I turn up the fan on the AC or Heat and try to block the noise.

The only time I can remember complaining was when I was in a hotel the weekend of a high school football tournament or some such. All the teens were going from room to room, and using the hinged security latch to prevent the doors from shutting all the way. So every time someone entered or exited a room, the door would SLAM against the latch. It's impossible to block such a loud jarring sound.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:50 PM

725 posts, read 3,014,631 times
Depending on your Hotel brand, some of these offer a 100% guarantee (read: refund) if there is something less than satisfactory that occurred during your stay. I would believe noisy guests (that won't stop) would fall under this category.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Recently, and first time ever, this happened to me.

There was a dog continuously barking in the room next to me. This was about 9:00 PM when I finally decided to step out of my room and knock at their door.

Soon as I opened by door, I saw another guy in the hallway knocking at the door barking dog room. He was trying to sleep in the room on the other side of the barking dog room. He looked quite annoyed. Soon as he saw me, he was like, do you hear this dog? I said yeah, and gently closed the door returning into my room.

I let him deal with the owners of the barking dog, and it worked pretty good.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM

61,716 posts, read 87,123,005 times
If they are very noisy, just call front desk. They might send someone to take care of it. Otherwise, always ask for a quiet room - somehow they know what rooms are expected to be quiet. Older people tend to be of the quiet category

Old 01-23-2017, 05:50 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Common problem in hotels in Asia.

Not only are the walls thinner, some cultural differences on what is considered acceptable behavior (generally not giving a **** about whether your actions affect others) can make for some annoying situations. Some people *cough* mainland Chinese tourists *cough* don't think twice about yelling to each other down the hall from different rooms whether it is 11:00 pm or 5:30 am. Since they are usually traveling in family groups that are much too large for one room it happens all the time = Xiao Mei... XIAO MEI!... XIAO MEI!... ni you shenme shi?... ni lai bang wo ya!... LAI BA!... deng yi xia.. LAI BA! etc.

Calling front desk is usually useless in these situations.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Noisy jerks in the hallway has been a bigger problem.

One fairly modern hotel I stayed in had the elevator right next to my room. The elevator sounded like it was built in 1910. That was the last vacant room that they had.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:52 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
Fortunately, I don't recall having the elevator near my room or I would have asked to be moved. I usually stay at resorts and have rarely had to call the front desk. Once or twice, when people took the party to the hallways. But if people are getting in late from being out, hey, no problem man. Once in FL someone called on our large group, had a room that slept 8, for being on the patio talking after it got dark. smh.

Does anyone know what the hotel etiquette is in Paris?

Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I will complaint to management, even if I just stay one night. I might not complain until I check out the next morning, but I let them know, and my yelp review will mention it, and if the management did anything about it.

One time, I was paying to stay in an Extended Stay America room for a month while studying to take a really tough exam. A really noisy couple moved into an adjoining room, so I asked to be moved to a quieter room. They let me move with no problem, and the rest of my stay there was great - as was my review :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel