Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:22 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting North West Wales in early April, and plan on attending Welsh-language services at two Welsh Presbyterian churches, despite not understanding a word of the language. I think Welsh is a lovely language to hear spoken, very melodic.

Are there any languages, other than your own, that you like to hear spoken, when on vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I'm visiting North West Wales in early April, and plan on attending Welsh-language services at two Welsh Presbyterian churches, despite not understanding a word of the language. I think Welsh is a lovely language to hear spoken, very melodic.

Are there any languages, other than your own, that you like to hear spoken, when on vacation?
Welsh may be nice to hear, I do know that the Welsh have the best accent when it comes to speaking English, they sound fabulous because they 'sing' almost every word they say :-)

Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
I like the sound or French and Farsi. And really hate the sound of Turkish and Hebrew.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:51 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Love hearing Farsi.
Welsh and Irish accents are cool too.

Not a fan of Australian accent. They seem to replace 'a' with an 'o' or 'u' everywhere.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
I like those cats in Namibia who speak with clicks. Fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WO5XabD-s

They've even got some online lessons here:
https://youtu.be/Nz44WiTVJww?t=43

Old 01-24-2017, 06:45 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Italian, French, Russian ...
There might be other beautiful languages I never heard being spoken...

Old 01-24-2017, 10:14 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
French and Arabic from certain areas. Lebanese Arabic is very soft.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I can't think of just the sound of a language, but also the culture and attitude, etc.

So, the combination of the above, the first that comes to mind, within my experience, is Portuguese. Then, maybe Italian.

French has a lovely sound, but I find the French culture to not be so enchanting (and I'm half French and grew up around French-speakers).

I don't like the sound of Mexican-Spanish. I like the Mexican culture, but don't like the Mexican accent, while speaking Spanish.

I don't like any really throaty or gutteral sounding languages, or any that use the nasal clacking sounds - like Filipino/Tagalog. I like the Filipino culture and have great Filipino friends. Just don't like the sound of their language.

I don't like the high, nasal, whiney sound of some Asian languages. They sound like they're whining or arguing with each other to my American-English trained ears.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I can't think of just the sound of a language, but also the culture and attitude, etc.

So, the combination of the above, the first that comes to mind, within my experience, is Portuguese. Then, maybe Italian.

French has a lovely sound, but I find the French culture to not be so enchanting (and I'm half French and grew up around French-speakers).

I don't like the sound of Mexican-Spanish. I like the Mexican culture, but don't like the Mexican accent, while speaking Spanish.

I don't like any really throaty or gutteral sounding languages, or any that use the nasal clacking sounds - like Filipino/Tagalog. I like the Filipino culture and have great Filipino friends. Just don't like the sound of their language.

I don't like the high, nasal, whiney sound of some Asian languages. They sound like they're whining or arguing with each other to my American-English trained ears.
French is very nasal, isn' it? with all the en, an, in, un etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:14 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Italian. Reminds me of my experience with the Italian cruise officer I met on my first cruise vacation.. . And the trip to visit him in Italy 6 weeks later. Then Seattle. Then LA, twice.

Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel