Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 11:34 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

We are planning a trip to Europe next year to see some Christmas Markets in Copenhagen, to spend New Years in Berlin, and then going to Krakow for a few days.

Our itinerary is:

Leaving for Copenhagen on Dec 23rd, arriving Dec 24th around 2pm. Most likely taking a short day trip to Melmo.

Leaving for Berlin on Dec 28th.. Other than the Zoo and New Years Eve, are totally open.

Leaving for Krakow on Jan 2nd. Auschwitz is a must for sure

Returning home as of now Jan 8th (still have yet to book a flight home yet, will do this weekend)

Any suggestions? We have been to Copenhagen before and are definitely looking forward to it.. Berlin and Krakow are new for us.

The vast majority of this trip is free or nearly free so we will have the hotel for Copenhagen and Berlin covered and our plan is to do a nice Airbnb (with a jacuzzi!) for Krakow. Flights to Copenhagen and home from Krakow are covered with miles.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
No suggestions, but I have been to the Christmas markets in Germany a couple of times. Mostly to the smaller towns. Wear something warm and snow proof.

I enjoyed it and bought some nice German made things to give as gifts.

The only real advice I can think of is that the hot mulled wine does not include the cup. You drink the wine and return the cup, which they wash and re-use. I was able to buy the cups separately, after a slight struggle to explain what I wanted. Some of the people in my tour group thought they were getting the cup included in the price and walked off with the cups. I saw the dishwasher set up, so I suspected that the cup was not part of the price. None of that would have been a problem if I spoke more German.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
I like the Christmas market in Dresden and many smaller German towns. I had no idea there actually is a relevant christmas market in Germany, but keep in mind that many christmas markets - at least outside of Berlin and so on - are shut down after Christmas itself.

@oregonwoodsmoke: These days almost everywhere in Germany there is a depost of around 2-4 Euro per cup. So you can decide by yourself to bring back the cup or just keep it. I would still buy a "fresh" one instead of a used one though.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
I like the Christmas market in Dresden and many smaller German towns. I had no idea there actually is a relevant christmas market in Germany, but keep in mind that many christmas markets - at least outside of Berlin and so on - are shut down after Christmas itself.

@oregonwoodsmoke: These days almost everywhere in Germany there is a depost of around 2-4 Euro per cup. So you can decide by yourself to bring back the cup or just keep it. I would still buy a "fresh" one instead of a used one though.
Thanks for the info.. We are hoping some Berlin ones will be open.. My understanding is that the Krakow ones typically stay open until 1-6. I know last year we were in Brussels and they were open past Christmas.. Fingers crossed.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:20 PM

636 posts, read 392,680 times
Krakow is beautiful.
Along with Auschwitz I'd recommend Wieliczka salt mine.

Katowice is also beautiful and I had a great time in Cieszyn on the Czech border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel