U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 AM

15,251 posts, read 8,543,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The last time I took Greyhound was for just a day trip in northern CA. I'd sold my car in a town about 5 hours away, and took Greyhound back home.

The bus was pretty much on time. It was not even half full. My experience was that any sketchy types sit in the back of the bus. This is also where the dirty, stinky toilet was.

Other than the toilet being the down side of the trip (even the sketchy guys at the back of the bus were respectful to me, as a grey-haired old lady), sitting up front by the driver was great. No smells and no foul language.

So, that is my advice - sit up front.

And because most riders like the back of the bus, the seats up front were in much better condition, too.

Some of the Greyhound bus stations are absolutely appalling. If you have the choice between the bathroom on the bus and the bus station, it would appear the bus is normally the better option - even though it's gross, too.

If there had been an Amtrak train, I'd have taken that instead, even for more money, as the ride is cleaner and just more pleasant overall. Greyhound will get you there, but I'd rather avoid it in the future whenever possible.
Funny - just like in school with the bad kids/troublemakers in the back and the nice kids in the front!

I do like Amtrak as there is more room, you can walk around and get snacks, and most even have wifi now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,252,141 times
I did Florida to NY once, it was a long time ago and while the trip was long and boring it wasn't a nightmare..

Old 02-04-2017, 08:50 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 742,605 times
Sure, OP, Greyhounds are great for the budget traveler. Highly re them! Take one from Philly to NYC for $12...can't beat it!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 742,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Funny - just like in school with the bad kids/troublemakers in the back and the nice kids in the front!

I do like Amtrak as there is more room, you can walk around and get snacks, and most even have wifi now.

Yes, train is more comfy, but you have to have the $.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:17 AM

5,460 posts, read 2,352,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I've taken the bus between Boston and NYC dozens of time without incident.
Yep. I do it too multiple times a year & there is wifi.

It's great.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 651,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
The trip wasn't as bad as the reputation that Greyhound has.

The trip took 5 hrs and 45 min and was efficient.
I'm glad you had a good trip with no problems, but lets be realistic here.. Just under six hours is an extremely short trip.

I did Greyhound from California to North Carolina once. It took 10 days, and was anything but efficient.. 12 hour layovers in the middle of... somewhere with nothing to eat but the $10 bus station hot dogs, a 16 hour ride on the next leg, with another 10-12 hour layover at the next stop.

Yes, it was an uneventful 10 days so I can't really comment on the other people on the bus, but efficient it was not. Again, congrats and I'm glad you enjoyed it, but keep that in mind if you might be thinking about a longer trip..

Old 02-04-2017, 12:08 PM

4,553 posts, read 2,325,331 times
megabus, bolt, chinatown buses are both cheaper and better quality than greyhound or peter pan.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 PM

11,714 posts, read 6,302,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
megabus, bolt, chinatown buses are both cheaper and better quality than greyhound or peter pan.
Agreed!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:02 PM

13,685 posts, read 8,589,783 times
Quote:
The Megabus trip from Chicago to Memphis was awful both times my sister took it.
The driver had his radio turned up too loud, and at the end, the driver made a disparaging remark about my Chinese sister being the only non Black on the bus.

Sounds like other routes might do a bit better.

I've ridden Greyhound. Being a White minority never bothered me, and didn't when I rode it down through Alabama to Panama City.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:18 PM

1,182 posts, read 480,147 times
Quote:
Megabus and Bolt Bus can be cheaper and at least are reliable. They don't go as many places as Greyhound, though. Megabus also sometimes runs routes at odd hours and at times has stops in side-of-the-road places, but I've generally been happy with them.

The Chinatown buses, while often cheap, have a past history of mechanical and safety issues from cutting corners and have been forced to suspend service in past. I won't use them, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or