U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 PM

636 posts, read 279,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
12 hour layovers in the middle of... somewhere with nothing to eat but the $10 bus station hot dogs
I usually use this time to explore the "somewhere" and try to find some decent food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 06:58 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
I UNDERSTAND IT'S CHEAPER, but I personally wouldn't do it. A plane ride there would have been about an hour or so!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 PM

371 posts, read 316,757 times
My friend is a Greyhound bus driver and he does it for the free Mcdonalds/Subway/etc food (freak) He loves driving long stretches of highway where he doesn't have to think. He likes being called in unexpectedly, he loves being the hero. He gets a lot of lifes purpose out of that, always bringing it up, knight in shining armor. Greyhound stops often for breaks so you can get food. You can run to the grocery store and buy something healthy. Megabus and Amtrak don't stop.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 PM

420 posts, read 296,530 times
Way back in the day when I couldn't afford to rub two dimes together I rode the Greyhound many times long distance. It was agonizing, the long layovers in the middle of the night in sketchy areas etc... Several times there were incidents that made me uncomfortable but didn't directly affect me. Short rides like 6 hours or so is not a big deal, try longer ones like two days or so and see what you think. I am lucky I don't have to ride it anymore. Didn't they say they were going to have Marshals ride the bus every so often like the air marshals do? That would be a painful job!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 PM

9,124 posts, read 2,994,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Thanks for posting. Have taken Greyhound buses several times in many parts of the country, always without incident. The buses can be hit or miss on cleanliness, the clientele and stations can be a little scruffy (though nothing I can't handle), and their on-time rate is usually good compared to Amtrak. The price is usually as cheap as you can get for long distance travel. Not ideal perhaps, but it'll do well enough.
AmTrak seems to be quite improved regarding their schedules in recent years. I live within sight and sound of the tracks and note at what time they pass. I recall putting up a video of a train ten years ago, where I added a comment that "AmTrak is early today, only two hours behind schedule". That doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:30 AM

729 posts, read 320,597 times
Greyhound is pretty decent.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 AM

1,088 posts, read 649,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
I usually use this time to explore the "somewhere" and try to find some decent food.
Easier said than done when the "somewhere" is in the middle of Utah with nothing around but a bus station. Or when you arrive at the "somewhere" at 9:30pm..

Like I said, "efficient" it was not.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:42 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
AmTrak seems to be quite improved regarding their schedules in recent years. I live within sight and sound of the tracks and note at what time they pass. I recall putting up a video of a train ten years ago, where I added a comment that "AmTrak is early today, only two hours behind schedule". That doesn't seem to be the case any longer.
That unfortunately hasn't been my experience, and I've ridden the train as recently as last year. The problem in my experience seems especially bad on trains running East-West in general and those that run for long distances in particular. Usually, the problem is interference from freight trains that share the tracks in many cases.

Much as I like the train (and yes, I do still use it sometimes), it just hasn't been very reliable in my experience over the years.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:13 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,435,997 times
Default Convenience stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
My friend is a Greyhound bus driver and he does it for the free Mcdonalds/Subway/etc food (freak) He loves driving long stretches of highway where he doesn't have to think. He likes being called in unexpectedly, he loves being the hero. He gets a lot of lifes purpose out of that, always bringing it up, knight in shining armor. Greyhound stops often for breaks so you can get food. You can run to the grocery store and buy something healthy. Megabus and Amtrak don't stop.

Did you man convenience store? Greyhound rarely ever has a stop in a dense area where there is a grocery store or supermarket. Their stops and pickups are in outpost type of places (rural or small towns or desolate downtown areas in large towns or urban areas). The food options are fastfood, mom & pop food vendor within Greyhound station selling their own version of over-priced fastfood, or over-priced convenience stores. Healthy options are almost non-existent. Even the fruit at the convenience stores are either already showing signs of going bad or extremely small/under-developed and flavorless. Yet, the fruit is $1 a piece or close to it.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:24 PM

11,659 posts, read 6,266,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Megabus does has layovers, as does Amtrak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or