U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 PM
 
Location: OH>IL>CO>CT
5,230 posts, read 8,388,588 times
Reputation: 7185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Rules do vary by state, and believe it or not, some states are now going to require passports for travel within the USA. Here's a link:

Driver Licenses From Nine States Won
Not quite.

These 9 states have not committed to the "Verified ID" program. That will keep those residents only from Air travel starting 2018.


Driver Licenses From Nine States Won
"Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington will have to use alternate ID forms (passport, military ID, or permanent resident card) to pass TSA security checkpoints—even for domestic travel."

They also may have trouble entering Federal government buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2017, 09:10 PM
 
13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
Reputation: 25356
I'd add that you can also get a cheaper passport card rather than a full passport to drive in and out of Canada and Mexico. It also works on cruise ships. If you fly, you need a passport.

The last time I renewed my passport, I also got a passport card. I'm in Canada frequently and it allows me to renew my passport the next time and still be able to get to Canada on short notice. Probably unnecessary but it wasn't much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,043 posts, read 3,982,486 times
Reputation: 13557
A passport is good for 10 years. Good to have one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2017, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
Reputation: 110331
A passport is an ID document accepted universally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,235 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Reputation: 15580
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Rules do vary by state, and believe it or not, some states are now going to require passports for travel within the USA. Here's a link:

Driver Licenses From Nine States Won
That is not the case. States don't have the authority to restrict travel between other states or require passports. The federal government (TSA) will not accept driver's licenses from certain states as acceptable ID when flying. You will need acceptable ID, such as a passport or military ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Not quite.

These 9 states have not committed to the "Verified ID" program. That will keep those residents only from Air travel starting 2018.


Driver Licenses From Nine States Won
"Residents of Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Washington will have to use alternate ID forms (passport, military ID, or permanent resident card) to pass TSA security checkpoints—even for domestic travel."

They also may have trouble entering Federal government buildings.
Yes, I was referring to air travel, but forgot to say that. Thank you for the correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,925 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Maybe this forum will handle my question. I know times have changed mightily over thee decades since I visited either Mexico or Canada but we never needed a passport either way. I do not have a passport and never have had one. Now a friend tells me that you cannot go across and return back across either the Mexican or Canadian borders without showing a passport. Is this true now?
The short answer: yes you need a passport. Your friend is right. Yes, there are exceptions and there is a travelers card one can purchase, but all in all, a passport is the way to go today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 AM
 
605 posts, read 466,826 times
Reputation: 1093
Just do yourself a favor and get a passport. They are valid for 10 years and they allow you the option of flying and/or driving to Canada/Mexico unlike those other ID's which have restrictions (plus they allow you to visit more countries outside of Canada/Mexico).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Harbor Springs, Michigan
2,292 posts, read 2,641,839 times
Reputation: 4581
Just checked out the Michigan secretary of state page regarding enhanced drivers licenses. Documents required to obtain an enhanced license include a valid passport amongst other forms of identification (SSN, proof of residency etc).

Seems to me it would just be easier to get a passport, you can do this by mail or if travel is imminent by visiting a passport office to get a same day/next day passport. Either way you might get into Canada/Mexico without a passport but you will not get back into the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,850 posts, read 9,438,969 times
Reputation: 4392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Just checked out the Michigan secretary of state page regarding enhanced drivers licenses. Documents required to obtain an enhanced license include a valid passport amongst other forms of identification (SSN, proof of residency etc).

Seems to me it would just be easier to get a passport, you can do this by mail or if travel is imminent by visiting a passport office to get a same day/next day passport. Either way you might get into Canada/Mexico without a passport but you will not get back into the US.
This. ^^ You absolutely must have a passport to go through customs on your return to the US. You can get out without one but you may not be able to get back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top