U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 PM

13,903 posts, read 7,400,560 times

Advertisements

I use Amtrak Acela and Northeast Regional quite a bit. The track infrastructure in Connecticut is pathetic. There are stretches where the train slows to 30 mph. Boston to D.C. is by far the highest ridership in the system. The route needs to be high speed rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,558,027 times
Been from Niagara falls to NYC ( 9 .5 hour trip starting at midnight) . Seats were comfortable and coach was clean. No complaints.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:36 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,507,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I use Amtrak Acela and Northeast Regional quite a bit. The track infrastructure in Connecticut is pathetic. There are stretches where the train slows to 30 mph. Boston to D.C. is by far the highest ridership in the system. The route needs to be high speed rail.
The price tag for a "state of the art" HSR line between Boston and Washington has been conservatively pegged at $100 billion -- any further questions?

California's bullet train could cost multiple billions dollars more than expected

Old 02-05-2017, 11:12 PM

6,567 posts, read 3,662,092 times
I don't have experience on those trains so I'd like to hear about your experience later. I enjoy long distance train travel but mostly use the Southwest Chief. Anyway...Get a roomette as meals are included in the price. On my last trip in September they made reservations for the next meal when you were being served on the current meal. That was convenient and efficient but I liked the old method when a staffer visited the sleeper cars to gather reservations. I've always been happy with the food. Take ear plugs for sleeping. Take a multi-outlet extension cord or adapter to charge up your electronic stuff.

I've only had two rude train crews in all of my experience and one of those was in Canada. On the Amtrak trip, there must have been quarrels or other problems among the crew and certainly some "needy" and unruly passengers. Toilets can get funky on long trips but they do their best. On occasion, I have checked my extra luggage but that can be a problem with delayed arrivals and short layovers. Sleeper cars have luggage space. On about half my trips I've arrived early and delayed arrivals have been mostly less than a half hour and were due to track maintenance crews, a vehicle stalled on the tracks, or freight train delays.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:24 PM

20,750 posts, read 13,749,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Connecticut both state and local residents have been fighting various NEC "improvements" or whatever for years.

Part of the reason things are so slow is that the ROW is mostly along the coastline and it has lots of twists and turns. The other issue is that in order to build a new ROW tracks would have to move further inland; that would lead to the new route bypassing many places now served.

Railroad Officials Full Speed Ahead On Controversial New Amtrak Northeast Corridor Bypass - Hartford Courant

Shoreline Officials Want To Hit The Brakes On Federal Railroad Proposal - Hartford Courant

Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,038,363 times
I went from Los Angeles to Chicago to North Carolina. We did not get roomettes, but regular seats. IT was a 3 day trip as I recall.

The employees were fine, EXCEPT they did not deal with some of the 'issues' that came up appropriately.

For example, I was traveling with my two kids 5 year old kids who sat together and I had the seat across from them and slightly further back. A lady came on with a 'less than two year old lap baby' according to her ticket. But the kid was clearly 5-6 years old and said he was in kindergarten. Same as my kids. She was placed in the window next to my isle seat for the overnight part of the trip. She kept wanting to put her BRAT on my kids reclined seats they made into a double bed as 'there was room for him'. It was our third night on the train and we had our system down pat, we were not adding a new kid we did not know, who was already hyper, to their bed area. Nope, I paid for those seats and finally the steward told her, at my request to STOP putting her brat in my kid's seat. After we told her no and took him out a few times. The steward saw what was happening, but did nothing until I said something. He then did tell her he was ticketed as her lap baby nd she was to hold him.

Then she let the brat run up and down the isle to 'tire' him out when everyone was trying to sleep and she just sat in her window seat. Finally the steward, again, told her to hold her lap baby. She wanted to put his head on her lap and butt on my lap. I told her nope, not happening as I bought both my kids seats and they are both smaller than her kid because I did not want to hold a baby for 3 days. And she should have bought her way older than 2 year old kid a seat. So I spent the night pushing her kid back on her lap.

The steward should have made her buy another ticket. No one on that part of the train was happy with her.

We also had some teens who were playing with their electronic devices who had one stolen when they left one out.

Those things happened on the Washington DC to North Carolina leg of the trip. The fellow passengers were a mix of urban ghetto and sales people and tourists.

I did not like the fellow passengers on that leg of the trip. Oh, and the bathrooms were trashed for that part of the trip.

From CA to IL, the trip had nice scenery and about half the passengers were Amish or Mennonite. VERY nice and VERY well behaved kids and adults. That part of the trip was excellent.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 AM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
That's the problem with Coach. So often there's someone making a big hairy nuisance of themselves and spoiling it for other people.

Now it's even worse, because people can bring their pets onboard in Coach. Pity the poor allergic person who's stuck with a dog a few feet or inches away. Pets are supposed to remain in their carriers for the duration of the trip but we all know there are a few special snowflakes who just have to have Fifi out where everyone can "admire" her.

So far they haven't extended the pet travel to the sleepers but if they do, that's the end of Amtrak for me. I'm allergic to both cats and dogs.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

FWI:
Bathrooms. I remember 25 years ago when you flushed the toilet on the train a flapper opened up and you could see railroad ties flying by underneath the train!

the hole was the perfect size to accommodate a soda can and if you were in the back car you could then look out the back window and see the can bouncing down the tracks, life was grand back then

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Getting a roomette usually does make it more expensive than just flying. However I look at it as part of my vacation and not just getting from point a to point b. I have met many interesting people when riding the train. Also get to see things you can't see when flying.
That would be the life. One day. Right now, though, vacation is limited. How do you find out the best trips that give the most bang for the buck? Must be clubs or something.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM

6,567 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Roomette pricing is a little tricky and you have to be flexible if you want the best prices. Reserve as early as possible for a better price. Check alternate days around your planned departure and return dates and you will see a difference in price. I've seen $100 differences in prices over a week's schedule. It used to be that a Sunday departure and return was cheapest...haven't checked lately. Remember the cost is for two passengers...if you go alone you should eat for two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel