Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 04:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Long international flight?? First of all, flying to Peru isn't exactly the same as flying to Hong Kong. Hell, it's a shorter flight for me to Lima than it is to Seattle. Secondly, and even more to the point, what exactly is to endure? You're sitting in a chair eating, drinking, and watching movies. Or perhaps, even sleeping! How difficult is that? Now I can understand other aspects of the trip being too much for someone who is elderly and/or has health problems, but the length of the international plane flight itself is not really relevant.
Yes, flying to Peru from the US is a long international flight. Most people also have to fly to an airport that has flights to Peru - pretty limited there. Many older folks have heart and blood vessel issues. They can't sit for hours and not move. There's a reason so many people have heart attacks on flights or just after. Blood clotting problems are no joke. Many people end up with blood clots in their legs from sitting for long periods of time especially people who fly regularly. It's very serious and can kill you! Not to mention you're sitting in a chair built for a 3 year old....squished like sardines! Oh yeah that's lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Do it while you can. We traveled while the kids were growing up with a popup camper. They still treasure the memories. Eventually I accumulated a lot of frequent flyer miles and hotel points when they were off in college. We enjoyed 6 cruises plus trips to Europe and Australia. Two weeks after we got home from the last cruise, I was downsized from my job at age 59. I took a crummy job to keep the wolf from the door and our travels stopped. Eventually we paid off the mortgage and I retired. We bought a small trailer and went on road trips, camping in state and national parks and forests. By this time our now grown kids who had grown up in Florida were both living in Washington state. We went to see them a couple of times and then took a trip to Nova Scotia. Then we moved to Arizona and from there we took trips into Mexico and visited most of the western National Parks. Travel doesn't have to be expensive. We returned to Florida 2 years ago and sold our camper.
Now we are 82 and81, we could no longer do those trips, but we very much enjoy the memories.
At this point we need a rest after a walk through the supermarket.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:47 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Quote:
Long international flight?? First of all, flying to Peru isn't exactly the same as flying to Hong Kong. Hell, it's a shorter flight for me to Lima than it is to Seattle. Secondly, and even more to the point, what exactly is to endure? You're sitting in a chair eating, drinking, and watching movies. Or perhaps, even sleeping! How difficult is that? Now I can understand other aspects of the trip being too much for someone who is elderly and/or has health problems, but the length of the international plane flight itself is not really relevant.
Even LA to Lima is 9 hours. Tell me where in continental US that has longer domestic flight?

Old 02-07-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Even LA to Lima is 9 hours. Tell me where in continental US that has longer domestic flight?
I just flew from Charlotte to Phoenix. It was a 5 hour flight. I about lost my mind! Talk about uncomfortable! I was in the middle seat so I had less than nowhere to go. I'd rather poke myself with a fork in the eye then ever do that again. I'm not sure my back and knees have recovered yet.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Spoken by one who is obviously young and unaffected by aching, arthritic joints or an aging bladder.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Spoken by one who is obviously young and unaffected by aching, arthritic joints or an aging bladder.
Heck, once i hit 41 my bladder changed - literally overnight.....I can't imagine being in my 70's on a 5 hour flight. Forget a 9 hour flight! Just for the bathroom needs....never mind the aches and pains.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:38 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Heck, once i hit 41 my bladder changed - literally overnight.....I can't imagine being in my 70's on a 5 hour flight. Forget a 9 hour flight! Just for the bathroom needs....never mind the aches and pains.
LOL. You don't wanna even think of our flights to get home from Capetown South Africa 15 months ago. Three flights, 32 hours including short layovers. Ages 59 and 72. In coach.

Alcohol was required.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
LOL. You don't wanna even think of our flights to get home from Capetown South Africa 15 months ago. Three flights, 32 hours including short layovers. Ages 59 and 72. In coach.

Alcohol was required.
Oh dear god! My body hurts for you! Forget alcohol....you needed a Vicodin or Morphine drip!

Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wasn't sure where to put his. DH and I are retired, and pushing 70. In our prime earning years, we took nice vacations...probably 8 cruises and some others.
My reason for posting is to tell you to take them now, not put it off for someday.
Now that we are retired, we can't afford to take vacations anymore, but we don't care very much because we took them when we could.
Awesome advice.
My husband and I just turned 50, and we already have regrets about places we didn't go, and things we didn't do.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
You must be young, and feeling quite safe behind your keyboard.
I wish you many more years of comfortable travel.

But some of us can't do long flights anymore due to aches, pains, and physical conditions.
So, you my dear, may bite me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel