U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:15 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,924,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Don't all airlines tell cheesy jokes? It seems like they're all trying to make the safety information "fun".
Not like Spirit. Every sign, spoken announcement, etc. is done in a silly way. It's obviously a business strategy of theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 AM

14,710 posts, read 9,755,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Not like Spirit. Every sign, spoken announcement, etc. is done in a silly way. It's obviously a business strategy of theirs.
So there is a reason for their yellow paint job and goofy, kindergarten graphics. Cartoon Airlines is more appropriate.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:37 AM

15,109 posts, read 19,065,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would never fly them. It's absurd to charge for luggage - I know more and more airlines are charging for carry-ons now, but it's just another money-grab fee. If you are traveling, you clearly need to take clothing with you.

Just raise the damn ticket price and stop with all the incessant fees.
I bet you buy the entire lineup of channels available on cable TV. And pay MSRP for cars.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,074 times
It's a discount air service. Someone even mentioned "backpack/students". Yea, that'd be accurate.

A few years ago, I followed the NY Giants to Green Bay, San Francisco, and finally, Indianapolis, where they won the Super Bowl.

Long story short? For the Sunday Green Bay game, we flew NY to Chicago Saturday evening, two nights at a crappy motel, rent a car, and the red eye Chicago to NY Monday morning. 4 guys.

With game tickets from stubhub? Under $500 a man. And the game tix were over $270 apiece.

Two sets of clothes, one I was wearing. I'll bet the RT flights were somewhere's around $100. Glad we did it!

Old 02-07-2017, 08:49 AM

924 posts, read 725,272 times
You'd be surprised that walking around a city on vacation doesn't really make your clothes that dirty.

This is why 1 pair of pants, 2 shirts, socks, etc. can get you a weekend in a backpack.

If I was going for a week or more, I pay $21 for a checked bag each way. So add $42 to my $112-150 rt ticket from LAX to CLE direct flight. I'm still about $200 under other airlines.

NEVER pay for baggage at the airport on Spirit. BTW: My buddy has flown more than a few times with them. He just walks on with his carry on and never pays. I'm not willing to chance that for $100, but he does.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM

14,710 posts, read 9,755,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
NEVER pay for baggage at the airport on Spirit. BTW:
This is another weird policy purported to speed up boarding and save money for the airline. They make you check in your luggage online but you still have to physically check it in. What's the point then? I asked the question of the ticket agent and he said this way is faster, but it wasn't. He still had to keyboard a bunch of stuff before taking the luggage and the lines were just as long. I think this is simply a scheme to swindle unsuspecting passengers out of a $100. Oh, I am still waiting for my luggage two days after the trip was completed.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Sorry about your luggage. Yes, I checked a bag ONE time ahead. At LAX, there was a line about 25 min. long. I was thinking, "If I already paid, why can't I just drop it?" I had to wait and a few people (due to security being a long line), missed their flights.

That was the last time I will check a bag.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:19 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,466,890 times
This is why I could never go back to flying commercial.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:33 AM

1,264 posts, read 795,140 times
Seems a lot of people don't do their research.

I live in LA, currently.

My BF lives in the NYC metro, as do a lot of my friends.

My parents are in the Palm Beach area.

I generally fly American and Jet Blue, direct, to both places and often. Over the holidays, I waited to book my trip, out of self admitted pure laziness, and didn't feel like dropping over 1K for a four day trip, on my normal airlines. Found Spirit. Like any intelligent person, I did my research. I DID bring an extra carry on bag...so I paid for it on their site beforehand, which they clearly advertise is the cheapest option. I also CHOSE an exit row seat, for more room. My flight was still under 500, direct to FLL from LAX, over the holidays.

If you don't do your research on an airline that literally markets themselves as "Bare Fare," you really have no right to complain about the costs you paid.

Also, complaining about checked baggage is ridiculous. Unless you have status, most airlines charge you to check a bag. Yes, Spirit charges for an extra carry on...but many other airlines are also starting to do this.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM

Stephy0519 drops mic.

Spirit is actually less expensive for a checked bag vs. a carry on.

Totally agree: You have to read and figure it out. I'm not a big spender and love the "game" of finding the best rates in just about anything I do.

Amtrak? Yep, I have that and never pay for a sleeper from CA to Ohio.

Happy Tuesday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or