Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 04:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times

Advertisements

Do people actually travel to vacation spots during Christmas? I thought it was more to spend time with family. I was looking at fares during Christmas to places like Costa Rica, Fiji, Big Island etc. and they are shockingly expensive, on average twice to thrice as expensive as other times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 04:56 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Because those fares are often connected with New Year celebration, and that's the expensive part.
Check with Google flights for best price.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
People are not a monolithic bloc and people do what people want to do. Sometimes avoiding family is the thing to do.

Often flying ON Christmas or New Year's gets you a good fare, at least inside the US.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
...flying ON Christmas or New Year's gets you a good fare, at least inside the US.
Last Christmas I was able to get bumped 3x, and since I was rebooked at a holiday fare, my 'travel credits' exceeded $1800 in one day! Great Christmas present for the next yr's travel! I was able to drive home and enjoy Christmas with family, then fly out on the AM of 26th (and got bumped again!) Minor delay for the benefit realized.

Winter Holiday travel is an EXCELLENT time to leave the USA, and many people with precious little time off are vying for the few tickets.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM

212 posts, read 156,285 times
LOL. I've actually thought of buying a ticket that I know will be overbooked strictly for a future travel voucher. It's a bit of a risk!

Aside from being with family, imo many fares are very expensive is due to the time of year weather wise of people wanting a nice beach vacation with warm weather. I try to go to Hawaii for 1 week every year in either December or January. It's always been very expensive the last couple of weeks in December. The last few years that I have went, I've gone over MLK Weekend usually for 5-7 nights. Much cheaper. Also someone here mentioned to travel the actual day of the holiday. I've found that to be true most of the time.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:29 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Do people actually travel to vacation spots during Christmas? I thought it was more to spend time with family. I was looking at fares during Christmas to places like Costa Rica, Fiji, Big Island etc. and they are shockingly expensive, on average twice to thrice as expensive as other times
There are many non-Christians in the USA that have time off during this period. Being that these people don't celebrate Christmas it is a good opportunity to travel to various locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel