Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 12:09 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,412,873 times

Advertisements

Seriously? I have heard nothing but negative about Spirit. Not just the prices-which are hokey but the air hosts ( whatever they call stewards/stewardesses now). My daughter flew them and was having us in hysterics( of course after it' s all over with) at how poor the service was and how they didn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 02:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Seriously? I have heard nothing but negative about Spirit. Not just the prices-which are hokey but the air hosts ( whatever they call stewards/stewardesses now). My daughter flew them and was having us in hysterics( of course after it' s all over with) at how poor the service was and how they didn't care.
No one is saying they are good, but it is reasonable and expected. Budget airlines means low service, what's to complain about it? They don't even need to offer water and I am fine with that. It is like you choose to buy a $12 suit and expect it to be of top quality, how is that possible?

It is just funny that passengers when buying tickets choose the cheapest tickets possible and the come back complaining about it is not up to their expectations.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:42 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No one is saying they are good, but it is reasonable and expected. Budget airlines means low service, what's to complain about it? They don't even need to offer water and I am fine with that. It is like you choose to buy a $12 suit and expect it to be of top quality, how is that possible?

It is just funny that passengers when buying tickets choose the cheapest tickets possible and the come back complaining about it is not up to their expectations.
Solid points. No one I know expects first class treatment on Spirit.

As for me, I did a round trip once. ATL to DFW. I was a little shocked the first time as the cost of the flight nearly doubled just because of baggage BUT it was still cheaper than any of the major airlines. I never pay for "premium seats" or to board first and I did the same for Spirit so no added expense there. Honestly I expected worse prices during the flight but it wasn't that bad. $3 for a can of coke on an infamously cheap airline? That's nowhere near awful and even buying one can on both legs would still be cheaper than a ticket by the major airlines. The plane out to DFW was a little cramped but the flight attendants I had were great. One of them was absolutely hilarious. Return flight gave me a little more room and flight attendants were average. No it wasn't mind blowing service but it was much cheaper than the major airlines and it was actually better than expected. If you want to be thrifty and don't expect to be treated like a first class passenger, Spirit definitely gives that option.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:45 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Budget airlines don't make their money off the base airfare. A few weeks ago Wow air was offering dirt-cheap flights between the West Coast and Europe and some people I know were all excited, but they didn't seem to get that the ticket price was really just the tip of the iceberg. Wow used to charge for water until there was too much outcry for that.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:46 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
botticelli, you can't know more than I about my own trip. Where did I say my luggage was overweight? I didn't. And since you seem to bend backwards to defend Spirit, how do you justify the same luggage going one way for $40 and coming back for $80? And you are also wrong about free seats. There aren't any. EVERY available seat I could choose had a price tag on it.

You paid to select a seat. You would have been assigned one for free.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:26 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,166,773 times
Spirit charges for carry on bag now.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...aggage+charges

Last edited by Rabflmom; 02-05-2017 at 04:37 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,082 times
I flew Spirit once. Never again.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:03 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Airlines have been doing this for years.

Nothing NEW.

It always pays to travel light with a carry-on, met by their specific restrictions, or you pay the price.

They can fill more planes FULL when they randomly assign seats to fill vacant seats, OR you pay the price to sit together as a family.
IN MY case, I am disabled, so my companion MUST be next to me.

ALWAYS read the fine lines, there's GATE FEES for EVERY gate you go through, and a fee for just about everything. Watch they will soon make 'em PAY TOILETS.

Assume you travel ONLY with a required carry-on, with nonstop flights on any seat they give you, and you will perhaps see the low fare.

It's like buying online, Sure it's only $9.99, until you add $6.95 S&H, and of course TAX, which makes your purchase even higher. Oh WAIT! order $49.99 worth of stuff and shipping is FREE!

Caveate Emptor, Buyer BEWARE

Old 02-05-2017, 06:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
I travel light and had no problem with Spirit. I did request a seat assignment, because did not want to be caught in the middle seat. It was still cramped, but I knew what I was paying for. On the return, I "splurged" for a "front of the cabin" seat, (I think it was about $20 more, but may have been somewhat less). Basically a first class seat with lots of leg room. Usually only four available in the first two rows. Fortunately, nobody else bought one so I had all the room of a first class ticket on any other airline. However, the service ends there. No special meals or drinks come with this one! Would I fly Spirit again? Probably not, but I will not say never.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,417 times
UGH what a terrible experience. The bag charge fees are bull****. Now the airlines want to charge for carry on and overhead space. What a joke and it's at the traveler's expense. When fuel was 2 1/2 to 3 times what it cost and airlines were struggling to make a profit they tacked on fuel surcharges and smaller fees. Now fuel is cheap and their old fees climb and new fees are added on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel