U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 AM

3,629 posts, read 1,567,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Airlines use extremely complex and extremely secret computer algorithms and "yield management" models to set fares, and they can and do fluctuate daily, even hourly. The computers monitor supply and demand nonstop, they look at how the competition's doing and what's happening with fuel prices. They look at weather models to see if the planes are going to burn more fuel fighting headwinds or save money with tailwinds. They are a LOT smarter than you or me.

Read all about it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_management

Yes, I have experienced this several times. For international flights ,Even If I browse tickets for a particular day, after a couple of searches that fare would be gone. Thats why I sign up to alerts rather than hitting the site with queries.

And Best time to buy airline tickets? When I have the required money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,557,819 times
Set a fare alert on kayak and when they reach your comfort level book. Has worked well for us every time including $165 flights Christmas week domestically.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:17 AM

14,131 posts, read 20,912,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Set a fare alert on kayak and when they reach your comfort level book. Has worked well for us every time including $165 flights Christmas week domestically.

Can I do this for a flight to Europe? What would be a "good" price??

Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,194,008 times
The best time to buy is when the price is equal or less than what you are willing to pay.

No gimmicks.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 AM

7,688 posts, read 16,127,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Can I do this for a flight to Europe? What would be a "good" price??
You can set fare alerts between any two places in the world that have scheduled commercial air service. I've got probably a dozen set up for different routes.

As for good price, that can vary widely with starting point and whether your home airport is generally competitive or a single airline had more than 50% of the passenger count. I live in a Delta fortress area and joke that it takes the first $250 of the plane ticket to get me to Atlanta.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 AM

28 posts, read 11,419 times
During festivals or off season and mostly if you done advance booking of flight tickets then you will get discount..

Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM

14,131 posts, read 20,912,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You can set fare alerts between any two places in the world that have scheduled commercial air service. I've got probably a dozen set up for different routes.

As for good price, that can vary widely with starting point and whether your home airport is generally competitive or a single airline had more than 50% of the passenger count. I live in a Delta fortress area and joke that it takes the first $250 of the plane ticket to get me to Atlanta.

I'm in Denver which is a major United Hub. I would want to set my preference from NYC to CDG as it's easy for me to get to NYC with different options.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 AM

7,688 posts, read 16,127,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm in Denver which is a major United Hub. I would want to set my preference from NYC to CDG as it's easy for me to get to NYC with different options.
Keep an eye on Icelandair- they're a quasi-low cost carrier that's been doing transatlantic for probably 40 years at this point. Poking around on their web site for a few random dates in April, I was finding DEN-CDG in the $700s with a connection in Reykjavik. Icelandair also permits stopovers in Iceland for a few days as part of their ticket prices if you want to check out the glaciers, hot springs, and nightlife there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or