Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times

Advertisements

Maybe this forum will handle my question. I know times have changed mightily over the decades since I visited either Mexico or Canada but we never needed a passport either way. I do not have a passport and never have had one. Now a friend tells me that you cannot go across and return back across either the Mexican or Canadian borders without showing a passport. Is this true now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Depends on the state issuing your drivers license. A few border states like Michigan offer an 'enhanced driver's license' that allows entry at land crossings. Probably best to just go ahead and get a full passport though.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:37 AM

I didn't and do not have a driver's license. I'm just talking passports, no matter how or where you cross. Is a passport required these days between Mexico and USA or between Canada and USA? I can't imagine that rule would be different state by state. Is it?

Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I didn't and do not have a driver's license. I'm just talking passports, no matter how or where you cross. Is a passport required these days between Mexico and USA or between Canada and USA? I can't imagine that rule would be different state by state. Is it?
It's not that it's different for every state. It's that the driver's license that is issued by some states is enhanced and contains a chip with some citizenship information.

In any event, you have no driver's license. If you want to travel to canada or Mexico and get back into the US, you'll need a passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/canada.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...ry/mexico.html

Old 02-04-2017, 08:28 AM

" If you want to travel to canada or Mexico and get back into the US, you'll need a passport."

Thank you. That is all I was asking. In my days of travel, we did not need one. A friend just told me you need one now to travel to Mexico. Times have changed. I'm glad I did my traveling in more carefree times.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:09 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
OP, identification requirements keep getting stricter and stricter. It's a good time for you to get yourself a passport. You might or might not need it now but you will very likely need it some time in the future.

In order for me to renew my driver's license, I have to take in all sorts of documentation, birth certificates, acceptable government ID, and whole lot of nuisance. Or I can take in my US passport, which is the easiest option.

You never know when you might get an opportunity to travel, so it is nice to have the passport all ready to go.

If you go on line, the immigration and customs websites should have a list of what state driver's licenses can be used to cross the Canadian border. If you can use your driver's license, also carry a certified copy of your birth certificate.

If you are a US citizen even if your documentation is not fully up to requirements, you might be able to talk your way through, but it would be a huge hassle and probably take a couple of hours. Better to have the right documents and breeze through.

Legally, they do not have to allow you to cross the border, even if you are a US citizen.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
PS: LAPR's don't have US passports, but they need proper ID and their green card to cross back into the USA. If you are a naturalized citizen, I suggest taking a copy of your naturalization documents.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
" If you want to travel to canada or Mexico and get back into the US, you'll need a passport."

Thank you. That is all I was asking. In my days of travel, we did not need one. A friend just told me you need one now to travel to Mexico. Times have changed. I'm glad I did my traveling in more carefree times.
You'll need one to go on a cruise as well.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:44 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Depends on the state issuing your drivers license. A few border states like Michigan offer an 'enhanced driver's license' that allows entry at land crossings. Probably best to just go ahead and get a full passport though.
New York does too. I got it because we were going on a cruise and getting a passport would have taken too long. My enhanced drivers license allows me to go to Mexico.. not that I want to, but I could.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,671,392 times
Quote:
Rules do vary by state, and believe it or not, some states are now going to require passports for travel within the USA. Here's a link:

Driver Licenses From Nine States Won
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel