Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,174 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm 28 year single mom and I will be moving to a city outside of Charleston,SC called Summerville. I'm extremely nervous about the move but looking for a fresh start I'm a new state. My father currently lives there and has sold me on the cost of living being cheaper there compared to Illinois. He also stated the school systems are amazing. I'm writing this thread to hear more from people who have moved from big cities like Chicago to Charleston or cities outside of Charleston to get their insight on the transition. Also I am black and when researching online I don't see much black culture in the cities surrounding Charleston. I want to move someplace that is diverse. I'm a hairstylist and my clientele would need to be black due to me specializing in our natural hair care. Help me please. Xoxo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 10:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
This question should be posted on the South carolina forum as opposed to the Travel forum which is more focused on short term trips as opposed to relocation.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,174 times
I'm new to using this website. Is there a way I can change my title so I can get my question answered. I appreciate your help

Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Please hit the red triangle over your post and leave a note for the moderator and she will move it.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
I love Summerville and Charleston in general. Only about 3.5 hours away and I try to visit as frequently as I can. Also looking at possibly getting a 2nd home in the area. Summerville cost of living is less than Charleston proper, in terms of real estate, for sure. Not sure about the schools though as I'm not looking for a primary residence.

I've always found the area to be very diverse personally. North Charleston is diverse and possibly a great location for a hair stylist with your specialty although I could see Charleston proper being an option too.

Good luck with your move and know I'm jealous you'll be living there full time!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewoowoo View Post
...moving to a city outside of Charleston, SC called Summerville.
...and has sold me on the cost of living being cheaper there compared to Illinois.
That wouldn't be hard.
Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

Quote:
He also stated the school systems are amazing.
I'd be leery. Great Schools.com is the source to check.

Quote:
...to hear more from people who have moved from big cities like Chicago to...
The social and cultural aspects are what you'll miss most.

Quote:
I don't see much black culture in the cities surrounding Charleston.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLoxvNjFiA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel