U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 04:38 PM

188 posts, read 618,421 times

Advertisements

I would like to know what are some of your favorite Domestic & International Airports?

You can list as many Airports as you want, also explain why you like that Airport.

You can also share some of your experiences in a specific Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:50 PM

9,790 posts, read 5,004,684 times
My two favorites are IAD (I grew up in the area, so I always feel very nostalgic whenever I'm in the main terminal or riding one of the "moon buggies") and RDU (my current home airport, and it's come a long way in the past few years. It's bright and airy and easy to get around).

Least favorite is MCI ... I always feel claustrophobic in there.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:10 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,491 times
I like the Anchorage airport. It’s small in comparison to many although one of the biggest for the size of the community and state it serves. The Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is huge with many services, my favorite.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
PDX - FAST Handy for escaping 200+ days / yr of rain!

(<30 min bedroom to gate), clean, ez, (parking, rental cars, security,) Great food, free movies (coming soon), decent FREE internet, NO SMOKING!!!, great art / decor, Local shops and regional food, Powell Books!, great covered area for dropping off passengers,
Many economy routes, carriers, and direct routes.
Several international options
Pretty scenery on landing and takeoff.

SIN > CLEAN, FAST, secure, plenty of food and spas, "in-terminal" hotel options, nice park-like setting inside terminal
MANY direct routes to the WORLD.
Dependable and safe traffic control.
Quite pretty 'night landings' over hundreds of ships. / metro QUICK taxi Queue

Old 02-08-2017, 10:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,637,007 times
I like DTW. The terminal is bright and airy. The D and E terminals of CDG are beautiful too

Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 AM

7,099 posts, read 3,459,108 times
DCA is great....easy access to Metro (subway)
HOU is the pits....just awful.

Internationally I find them all to be better than US airports. Better shopping, food and access to rental vehicles or public transportation.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:22 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,101,231 times
My least favorite domestic airport effectively no longer exists- it was the old VPS (Ft. Walton Beach, FL) terminal that was like the bastard stepchild of an inner city bus station and a moderately successful IMF public works project in a third tier African country. There were no bathrooms on the airside of security, so if you had to pee, you had to go back to the lobby area and then re-clear security to get to the plane are. 'Food' consisted of a drinks vending machine that ha last successfully cooled anything in about 1983 and a dead food vending machine with one lone bag of Funyons sadly dangling off a hook despite repeated attempts to shake it free. No covered walkways between you and the planes, which was an issue when you were shuffling across the apron in the middle of a two inch an hour rainstorm with lightning going off nearby.

They gave up on any sort of maintenance beyond cleaning the bathrooms sometime around 1998 when plans for the new terminal got approved. But 9/11 pushed back construction and project completion for a couple years, and you could find new Rorschach test patterns in the mold on the ceiling tiles every trip to the airport.

The new terminal that finally came online in 2004 is lovely in a 'looks like a new construction middle school' sort of way. Most importantly, there are now both ample public restrooms and your choice of properly hot and cold drinks on the airside of security.

Favorite domestic- another vote for the underrated DTW. The whole complex was built for the 21st century, and is light-filled (well as light-filled as you get in Michigan), airy, and has wonderful architecture and nice details with the public art and old school Swiss railway clocks. The food is much better in recent years, the layout is perfectly logical, and gate seating is generally very ample. Only complaint is that if the plane train is out of service, it can be a long hike between gates.

Honorable mention- ATL. The more other airports I pass through, the more I appreciate the ATL. It's got a nice logical layout, lots of food options, and ops does a good job of managing an insanely high number of takeoffs and landings.

If I had to pick a favorite foreign airport, I'd have to say Edinburgh. Nice sane size, decent seating and food, and lacking the general chaos you get at the bigger European airports.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:16 AM

1,758 posts, read 1,015,890 times
I travel through Ted Stephens in Anchorage and SeaTac frequently, appreciate both for their tidy size and easy navigation.

My favorite is PSP, Palm Springs. Small, nicely appointed, and after going through security you can still eat and drink on a outside patio.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 AM

317 posts, read 236,424 times
International is Singapore. Spacious carpeted tons of eating facilities and one only has to go through security one-time.

Close.second is Dubai. But my complaint is too big and to many duty free stores.it it slows one down going to gates

Old 02-10-2017, 05:10 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
Domestic: I prefer small airports, often EAS-supported airports but also regional airports. From the bigger ones I would pick DTW, PIT or SEA.

International: ICN and SIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or