U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,316,235 times

Advertisements

When is this trip taking place? So far this is a very snowy winter in the Sierras and Cascades, so don't expect the Crater Lake rim to be fully accessible before July, and the same goes for higher elevation parts of the Sierra national parks. Summer comes late and leaves early in the mountains, and places like Lake Tahoe in April/May can be pretty blah - too late for winter activities, too early for summer ones.

And if it IS in July or later, then Death Valley and Joshua Tree are going to melt your tires, and you won't have room to move on the floor of Yosemite Valley.

So help us out here. Having a good time touring in the west is extremely weather-dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 05:27 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,634,236 times
Thank you all very much so far for the valuable input.

The trip will take place end of May, beginning of June.

I will do some investigation about all places that were mentioned, also to see weather conditions, prices and opening times.

@StealthRabbit

Indeed going on the coast southwards is much better. We went from Vancouver, BC to L.A. back in 2010 and never regret that went that direction.

By the way, the only time we bought fuel in Oregon, as far as I remeber, the pumpjockey was filling up several cars simultanously, and while he was putting in our nozzle, the car next to us (A BMW X5) had some trouble (probably due to too much air coming out of the tank) and suddely at least 2-3 gallons of guel spilled all over the place. That is my experience with Oregon pump stations so far.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:35 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,316,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
The trip will take place end of May, beginning of June.
Yep, do your research, but I'd scrap plans for Crater Lake and probably Tahoe. I'd also book accommodation in/around Yosemite immediately; you're already probably too late for the valley floor. May/June is the peak of peaks because the waterfalls are all full; by the end of the summer they're dry or just trickles. While you're in the area, I'd look at adding some days in the gold rush country along CA Hwy 49. The countryside is gorgeous in the late spring, and the various towns along the highway (and spur roads like CA 4) are incredibly picturesque and historic.

Last edited by Gardyloo; 02-11-2017 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 PM

39,694 posts, read 2,998,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lava Caves (north of Lassen)
Oregon Cave National Monument (near Grant's Pass)
Diamond Lake / Umpqua River route (Crater Lake to Roseburg)
Brookings, OR (interesting coast, similar to NO CA (of course)
Samoa Cookhouse (Near Eureka, CA)
Leggett / Valley of Giants (best motorcycle road in USA between there and Redding)

Safety FIRST!
Remember to do scenic areas of left coast going SOUTHBOUND (if possible)
. no need to cross traffic for scenic turnouts

Sales Tax Free Oregon... Xmas shopping... Hope you are flying SWA ((2) free luggage each)
Costco has cheap fuel and $1.50 lunch

Remember to NOT touch a fuel pump in OREGON!!!
Gas is DANGEROUS and can only be dispensed by a highly trained pump jockey. (no training or previous experience required) Be sure to give them time to snuff out their cigarette.
I second the lava tube, its not far from Lassen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or