U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:27 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,496,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Just in the US/Canada so far. Renting a car and driving around does not really make sense in most of Europe (due to their extensive rail/public transit network, lack of parking in city centers, and high gas prices)
Actually, renting a car in Europe makes a lot of sense unless you just want to see the big cities. We drive to experience the entire country with a focus on small towns and wineries. You can't do that without a car.

Quote:
or Latin America (due to eratic driving conditions, risk of theft/car break in's, extensive bus network, etc) so I never really had to drive in other countries.
I've rented a car in several Latin American countries and never had a problem. Again, you need a car unless all you want to see is the big cities. For example, we drove all over Mendoza and explored the wine country. You can't do that without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just like the frequent "how many countries have your traveled to" threads that pop up - I can't even remember them all.
I'm trying to even remember significant international driving events, not many:
-Charged by an Elephant in a park in S. Africa
-Put regular fuel in a diesel vehicle in Portugal (couldn't read the pumps, stupid mistake).

That's about it....
That was my biggest worry when renting a car in another country. They told me the nozzle shouldn't fit but I heard it happened quite frequently.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:54 PM

5,697 posts, read 8,607,225 times
United States, Mexico, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, South Africa

Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,751,210 times
United States, Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,618 posts, read 39,986,663 times
left / right hand driving...

Keep the steering wheel towards the center of the road (If you have the correct left / right hand vehicle for the region)

Enjoy driving, be CAREFUL riding motorcycles and scooters (no steering wheel!) e z to have a head-on crash when pulling onto roadway.

If you have an accident !!! ...and you are a westerner / have any money (or perception of money) you will be at fault ...In Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Southern border states with Mexico in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or