U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:07 AM

317 posts, read 236,180 times

Advertisements

What countries have you driven in? Which was the easiest and which was the most difficult? I'm an American who has driven in US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Thailand, Australia, Greece, and Oman. Australia (Melbourne) was the most difficult as driving on the left side and tons of traffic. Easiest (besides rural US) was Greece. On an island, courteous drivers, and no traffic. Athens would be another story.

Living in Kuwait and have yet to drive here. But the drivers are very aggressive and bring driving styles from many parts of the goal making me wary of driving here. China was also pretty bad (I never drove there) but many drivers would make left hand turns from right lane and fail to yield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:19 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times
Except North America and continental Europe, I have only driven in South Korea (Jeju Island), which was very fine. Never driven on the left side though.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:35 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
US, Canada, France, Italy, Israel, Chile and Turkey.

All pretty easy. I was surprised how fast you need to drive on the highway in Italy. You pretty much have to maintain 130km/h to keep up with the flow.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:46 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,631,596 times
Fast?

Well, I am usually driving on the German Autobahn before entering the Netherlands, and after going like 220 km/h have to slow down to 130 km/h. It feels like bicycle speed. I used to say, after entering the Netherlands it is just coasting to the sea.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:35 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
Italy, Germany, France, Bahamas, The Cayman Islands, Aruba, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Canada. Driving on the left side of the road is a blast!

Old 02-09-2017, 05:28 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Israel, Australia and the USA. I didn't have any real problems driving on the other side of the road in Australia having spent 2 years as a child in England so my mind shifts directions pretty quickly when traffic is on the opposite side of the road.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:57 AM

9,189 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
What countries have you driven in? Which was the easiest and which was the most difficult? I'm an American who has driven in US, Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Thailand, Australia, Greece, and Oman. Australia (Melbourne) was the most difficult as driving on the left side and tons of traffic. Easiest (besides rural US) was Greece. On an island, courteous drivers, and no traffic. Athens would be another story.

Living in Kuwait and have yet to drive here. But the drivers are very aggressive and bring driving styles from many parts of the goal making me wary of driving here. China was also pretty bad (I never drove there) but many drivers would make left hand turns from right lane and fail to yield.
Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Canada,and Mexico.

The autobahn system in Germany makes Germany relatively easy to get around in if you know what you are doing. In some ways, I actually preferred driving in Germany to driving in the United States. Germans want to go fast and won't fool around. However, I also found that they will give you a second to make a lane change or turn if they can see what you are doing.

Spain was the scariest for me to drive in. I saw too unpredictable behavior.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:21 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,096,476 times
Canada, Cost Rica, and Portugal. Canada and Portugal were great and easy Costa Rican drivers are called costa rican terrorist. Nicest people in the world until they get behind the wheel on this small, not good roads.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 AM

37,971 posts, read 55,724,604 times
All European countries (except of England and Russia.) The US and Mexico.
I love driving and had good time everywhere.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,321,722 times
Canada, US, Mexico, Great Britain, France, Holland, Belgium, Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or