U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 04:38 PM

639 posts, read 292,426 times

Advertisements

Why everything in my life is so complicated? I am now living in Mexico and finally I am planning to come back home, Spain, on 27th february definitely so I am preparing my baggage from Campeche (mexican city where I live) to Madrid (Spain). I had the great idea to send out my books to my parents with DHL and I did it. To save more space I tried an hour ago to send my shoes as well but DHL rejected my shoes because are restricted items. Now I realized I don't have enough space in my two baggages to come back to Madrid. It would have been perfect to get rid of my shoes which are highly space consuming. Should I think about throwing some clothes? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 05:06 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Go to Walmart or similar and look for compression bags- big ziploc-like bags that help you really mash down clothing and such into smaller spaces. You may still end up with an overweight bag, but you should be able to fit more inside.

Wear your bulkiest shoes to the airport. If need be, buy something at duty-free (most airlines don't count duty-free bags against your in-cabin baggage allowance) and put bulky shoes in duty-free bag while slipping on some loafers more comfortable for long haul flights.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM

639 posts, read 292,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Go to Walmart or similar and look for compression bags- big ziploc-like bags that help you really mash down clothing and such into smaller spaces. You may still end up with an overweight bag, but you should be able to fit more inside.

Wear your bulkiest shoes to the airport. If need be, buy something at duty-free (most airlines don't count duty-free bags against your in-cabin baggage allowance) and put bulky shoes in duty-free bag while slipping on some loafers more comfortable for long haul flights.
Good idea! I have 2 baggages and a backpack because I bought an expensive laptop and as far as I know, I can't put it on my baggages. So, I have yet one hand luggage, due to hand luggage restrictions I wonder if I can carry another one bought at duty free.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 AM

14,248 posts, read 14,137,087 times
We have used the following company on more than one occasion and have been very pleased with them;

https://www.sendmybag.com/?gclid=Cj0...PtYaAhS98P8HAQ

They appear to send to and from the countries that you want. We have used them only across Europe, but have found them reliable on the four times we have used them.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:31 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,078,814 times
as you moving back home permanently why did not you shipped in advance what you all need in back home that is easier than DHL. that is what I did when I was moving to EU from USA.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,968,461 times
If you can always take more luggage if you are willing to pay the overweight fees!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM

187 posts, read 129,936 times
Shipping shoes is restricted? By whom? Is DHL your only option? Ship through another carrier and just tell them there are articles of clothing inside. Or, ship most of the other items in your bag and hang on to the shoes. I like Jezers idea about using shipmybag as well.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 AM

3,294 posts, read 1,559,725 times
is there not a way to send it thru an envios agency. most places in NY have the capability to send a Big Blue Barrel worth of items, to be picked up at your destination. In a barrel, you can fit so much items. see what you can do locally before committing to the big companies.

to make packing your bags an easier task, individually roll up all clothing like a burrito, you can fit more items this way. you may consider putting your shoes in a duffle bag, to carry on. On the flights I have taken, a back pack, one carry on, 2 suit cases are permitted, along with one personal shopping bag. a soft duffle bag can be manipulated to appear the appropriate size.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM

219 posts, read 110,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I used one of these bags when returning from a family visit overseas. I'd received some bulky clothing items for Christmas and they just wouldn't fit in my suitcase. Problem solved with the bag, and although it increased the weight (I was still under the limit), I didn't have to leave anything behind. Tried rolling them up first, but that didn't work. These bags are great and I will always include one any time I travel, as I'm sure I can borrow a vacuum cleaner wherever I go

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
I hear you.....

I'm packing a carry on bag now, to get ready for departure ... the smaller size carry on luggage, and good grief. Tight squeeze.

Packing cubes sound great in theory. They do a great job of separating groups of clothes etc. to keep them from getting all jumbled up. But, those cubes themselves are taking up additional space. I need to use every inch here, and the packing cubes have to come out.

No way will I pay for checked luggage. No way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or