Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

^ I was talking about "everything" including nature, not just nature. Not everyone travel for JUST nature.

The maps makes look like there is no nature in Europe or India whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 03:58 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
People keep saying it, in reality, it is not. What we consider "beautiful" is heavily shaped by the society, the culture and people around us.

Yes, among beautiful things, people may disagree which is more beautiful, but there is little disagreement over what is just not beautiful at all. People in general have more in common than disagreement overall.

If beauty is really in the ege of the beholder, then every place in the world would have equal chance to be visited, but it is hardly the case, is it? The vast majority would still prefer visiting the Grand Canyon or Yellow stone than some rural roads in Texas with nothing but grass.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is not a lie, but people misinterpret it into "there is no beautiful or ugly, it only depends on the people". It is far from that.
Eye of the beholder. The beholder. An individual person. I might find a hundred year old falling down abandoned barn on a rural road in Texas and find it beautiful. I wonder about the history, about the people who owned it, what were their lives like. While I'm admiring it there might be an incredible sunset. Maybe what YOU consider beautiful, or what you think OTHER people should consider beautiful, is shaped by society. Might do you well to attempt step out of that box from time to time and just take something in that you'd usually consider mundane.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
South Korea is not very diverse in terms of culture, food, etc. that is true. But just from a landscape perspective, it is. I think it is interesting to see, as I like mountains, but it is not for everybody.
South Korea is really weak in terms of landscape diversity tbh. The highest peak is not even 2000 meters tall. Taiwan is a third the size and the highest peak is twice the altitude (nearly 4000m), and there are additionally close to 300 mountain peaks that stand more than 3000 meters tall.

I think Italy wins, though it's still kinda big. Maybe Greece? Switzerland and Austria are beautiful but they only have mountains and hills, which are nice, but that's not diverse.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ I was talking about "everything" including nature, not just nature. Not everyone travel for JUST nature.

The maps makes look like there is no nature in Europe or India whatsoever.
That's because there really isn't much wilderness or true nature in those places at all.

Nature doesn't equal nothingness, so what I said still holds true.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Bhutan.. Tropical, Temperate and Polar climates all in one country. If one wisehes to see a Colorado+Amazon type, one should visit Bhutan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel