Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Three weeks should be adequate. You won't see it all, but you'll get a good taste of it. Don't compare it to Scotland. The US is much more spread out and greatly differs in climate and topography. I would hit the NY area for about a week. The NYC area has some great beaches too for the kids. Travel to the east end of Long Island to see where the celebrities vacation. From NYC, you could drive to Washington DC to see US history and government attractions. Then Florida for the theme parks, but that's a long drive from Washington D.C. You might want to fly. If you've been to Euro Disney, I would skip the Magic Kingdom. Besides Disney, there are 2 other vast theme parks in Orlando, Universal which has the Harry Potter park and Sea World. But something more unique which you cannot find in Europe is the Kennedy Space Center where you can spend a day learning about NASA and the space program. You need at least a full day for that. It's huge. In August, Florida can be kind of cloudy and rainy, yet still hot. If you're from northern Europe, as others said, it will be extremely hot and humid for you, but we have air conditioning everywhere. In summer, the Florida ocean water can feel like a bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
If you're planning a trip to include the Blue Ridge/Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, make sure you call ahead. We just had some horrendous fires that destroyed a lot of the Gatlinburg area: forest as well as homes and resorts.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:52 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Also, Washington DC is extremely oppressive during the summer because of the high humidity. On the East Coast, during the summer, beware of mosquitos.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:53 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

And, yes please give me some hints about Disneyland too. I guess the kids are dying to visit at least for two days. But since it's so huge I wouldn't know which park to choose
Every body is a Disney fan.Years ago I saw the best fireworks I have ever seen at Epcot. That is the only really good thing I can say about Disney. When going to Orlando it would be Universal Studios, Sea World and a waterpark with the slides.Discovery Cove offered some great snorkeling and a hands on Dolphin encounter.Son is now grown so I have not been there in a few years.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
We have enjoyed WDW - even as adults without kids with us. In fact, we had a great time at the kiddie section - saw an animal show that was hilarious - cats/dogs/pig/chicken/duck. Plus, it was in the shade.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I wouldn't go to Florida during the summer. I've been there in mid June and the third week of September, and I found it too hot then.

Years ago, I was in England during a heat wave, and it didn't seem very bad to me. It's not like a hot summer in Germany, either.

I would stay in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:43 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Also, Washington DC is extremely oppressive during the summer because of the high humidity. On the East Coast, during the summer, beware of mosquitos.
New York City can also have oppressive heat during the summer.

So, if that is the main criteria, OP should just cancel the entire trip. lol

Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
So I'm looking for the perfect mix between a little sightseeing, a lot of great nature, fun things for the kids (8+12 years), a little swimming and sunbathing (since we would go in July / early August), where to stay etc...
You have a lot of options. I recommend heading to the mountains, such as the Poconos in Pennsylvania or Skyline Drive in Virginia. Theme parks: Hershey Park, King's Dominion or Busch Gardens. Colonial Williamsburg for some nice living history.

Head to the beach - Ocean City in Maryland or Virginia Beach would be good choices. If you want to get away from the crowds, then go to Assateague Beach in Maryland or Cape Hatteras in North Carolina.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
New York City can also have oppressive heat during the summer.

So, if that is the main criteria, OP should just cancel the entire trip. lol
Exactly. It's summer. Everything is hot.

I actually find NYC worse than FL in the summer. Mostly because the smell of garbage sitting on the curb can be particularly bad in the summertime.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:41 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Exactly. It's summer. Everything is hot.

I actually find NYC worse than FL in the summer. Mostly because the smell of garbage sitting on the curb can be particularly bad in the summertime.
Most people who have ability try to run away from NYC and Manhattan in particular on summer weekends to cooler locations around. There are huge traffic jams leaving the city starting at 3:00 pm Friday and coming back Sunday night. Why anyone would want to come here to enjoy 96 degrees, 96% humidity is beyond me. But I guess different strokes for different folks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel