U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,973,174 times

Advertisements

I'm going on a cruise in a few days and we're stopping by those to places for a day. Any "must dos"? I've never even heard of Ensenada before! I'll be with my Mom so any "young/crazy" things don't even waste your breath mentioning. We're going to the botannical garden on the island. Other than that, nothing else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,765,786 times
You are probably leaving from the cruise ship terminal at San Pedro / Long Beach. Ocean temps are still quite cool, around 60F so be sure to bring some warm clothes. Ensenada is a small city in Baja California about 70 miles south of San Diego. Nothing extraordinary there, lots of bars and restaurants and a fairly nice waterfront. Avalon is the only village on Catalina. A pleasant place to walk around and relax in. Depending on how much time you have, there are jeep tours that take you outside Catalina and up into the hills and along the coast to see some of the island's local scenery. Maybe you will see some of the buffalo that still roam around on the island, left over from a movie filmed there about 70 years ago.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

Buffalos, eh? I'll have to look for them but I gues you don't mean liaterally they are roaming around, do you? 'Cuz that would be AWESOME! I'm just looking forward to the view ... I hear it is beautiful there. As long as there's some shopping in Ensenada - like places to walk around in, then it's cool.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 788,049 times
I have done that cruise a couple of times with friends. Catalina is really neat (and yes, the buffalo are just roaming around but not in town) and we rented golf carts and explored on our own. In Ensenada I have taken both the wine country tour (lots of fun if you like wine) and the La Bufadora (the blowhole) tour. That is really neat when the ocean swells are big. Lots of places to shop in Ensenada. Oh yeah, this time of year both places can be chilly, bring warm clothes. Have fun!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:44 AM

really, it's chilly?! darnit ... i prepared short sleeves!

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

I'm cracking up about this buffalo doodilly. I think it's awesome and I'm curious if anybody knows what movie it's from? I'll keep an eye out for them!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,299,351 times
Try and rent a golfcart on Catalina, it's the most fun way to get around, and you'll see tons more. Also, you might want to go on a cruise in a submersible - a bit like a submarine, but you have portholes, so you can go underwater, and see a whole 'nother world.
And pack those long sleeves!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM

296 posts, read 1,167,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I'm cracking up about this buffalo doodilly. I think it's awesome and I'm curious if anybody knows what movie it's from? I'll keep an eye out for them!
Cracked me up too, so I had to look. Here's the scoop:
Catalina Island's Early History

Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,765,786 times
On a clear day like today, I get a nice view of the mountains of Catalina Island on my bicycle commute home. As I'm cruising along the hilltops of southern Orange County, I can see the outline of Catalina way out in the Pacific about 45 west of where I live. The sun was setting over the island this evening and I could also see the bright lights north at the port of LA-Long Beach.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 PM

Y'all are getting me hyped up!! Thank you so much for the responses!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,556,607 times
We're taking the same cruise, it sounds like. We wanted to know about Ensenada too. The wine tour sounds good. Just hoping to get out of the "cruise crowd" and see something genuine, as opposed to another commercial opportunity manufactured for the ship.

Please post when you get home about Ensenada.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel