Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:28 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

I visited family in Iowa and had planned to stay for a week total visiting three different towns. I had planned on leaving on a Saturday but instead left on a Wednesday because the family in one of the towns elected to blow me off by never returning phone calls and the family I did visit talked about how poor I was, asked me how much money I made, and pried into my personal life. One of my aunts not only didn't talk to me but wouldn't even make eye contact. To top it off one of my cousins called me when I was on my way home (halfway across Nebraska) and said it turned out he was free that weekend. I hadn't beard a word from him since I arrived in Iowa. I went back two more times before my grandfather passed away and to go to his funeral but haven't been back since.

The other was a visit with my parents in Montana. They had been asking me to visit but when I got there they sat in front of the TV barely interacting with me and instead expected me to be entertained from sunup until sundown and endlessly asked what I did all day and what my plans were. While I don't expect to be entertained the least you can do when I visit is interact with me once in a while and not try to get me out of the house the whole time.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Sure, last October when Hurricane Matthew hit the Carolinas. DH and I had taken his parents down to our condo in Myrtle Beach and even though we had heard that the storm was turning into a full hurricane, it was not projected to hit that part of the coast at the time that we drove down. By our second day there, the storm path had changed and they were going to close the resort so everyone had to get out, us included, so we just headed home. It was a sad vacation overall anyway, because before we had to leave, my MIL took a nasty fall and hit her head on the sidewalk and we ended up in the ER with her. We found out after we got home that she had incurable cancer throughout her body (none of us had the remotest idea) which is why she was weak and fell, and she is only weeks from death now and on hospice care.

My MIL LOVES Myrtle Beach and it is sad to think that her last vacation there was marred by an injury fall and shortened by a hurricane.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Came close once. . . .

My wife and I flew to Belgium (from Texas) to celebrate my 40th birthday. I wanted to go to a brewery every day. That was the plan at least. The night that we arrived in Brussels, I awoke to a terrible pain in my lower back. When it got to the point that I couldn't stand it, I went to the local hospital emergency room. I found that I was passing a kidney stone, and there were others in line to be passed also. They drugged me up, I spent the night there, and then went to the pharmacy the next morning for the prescribed pain killers. For the next 3 days, we drove around Brussels and northern Belgium (Brugge, Antwerp), usually on cobblestone streets. I was in such constant pain that there were tears coming down my cheeks, but I soldiered through it. We made a side trip back to Belgium so that I could see a doctor and he prescribed more pain killers and anti-inflamatories. I probably passed the final stone about 4 or 5 days into the trip and I was fine for the week after that. If I would have been in the USA I would have probably bailed and gone home. Glad that I wasn't because it turned out to be a fantastic trip.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Done it a couple times. Once was back in college on a camping vacation with my girlfriend and I, and about 8 other friends. I don't remember what we got into an argument about, but on the 3rd day of our trip out of 6 days, I left and drove 3 hours home rather than spend another minute with her.

Another was more recent, my wife and I were down in New Orleans for a 4 day weekend and our daughter (staying with my mother) got pretty sick so we left after two days instead.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:41 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Last I heard she'd been banned from someone else's house because she passed out in their recliner and defecated.
PLEASE try to get her some help. She is closer to death than you apparently realize.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Camping up in the Pennsylvania Wilds in the middle of nowhere. We were the only ones in the campground. Heard a loud crash and some animal started screeching with a blood curling scream. We all looked at each other, frantically packed up the tent, and drove out of there at 1 in the morning.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Sure, last October when Hurricane Matthew hit the Carolinas. DH and I had taken his parents down to our condo in Myrtle Beach and even though we had heard that the storm was turning into a full hurricane, it was not projected to hit that part of the coast at the time that we drove down. By our second day there, the storm path had changed and they were going to close the resort so everyone had to get out, us included, so we just headed home. It was a sad vacation overall anyway, because before we had to leave, my MIL took a nasty fall and hit her head on the sidewalk and we ended up in the ER with her. We found out after we got home that she had incurable cancer throughout her body (none of us had the remotest idea) which is why she was weak and fell, and she is only weeks from death now and on hospice care.

My MIL LOVES Myrtle Beach and it is sad to think that her last vacation there was marred by an injury fall and shortened by a hurricane.
I'm sorry to hear that about your mother in law.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that about your mother in law.
Thank you, you are very kind.

I am glad we had that last little vacation time with her at the beach, even though it was cut short. People would ask us why we wanted to take my elderly in-laws along with us on vacation, presuming that we wouldn't be able to have much fun. Well, this is why. Life is short.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Thank you, you are very kind.

I am glad we had that last little vacation time with her at the beach, even though it was cut short. People would ask us why we wanted to take my elderly in-laws along with us on vacation, presuming that we wouldn't be able to have much fun. Well, this is why. Life is short.
Spending quality time with family is good. That's why I was pretty mad about the vacation I cut short.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes....once...my boyfriend who doesn't like to plan ANYTHING left me to plan a summer weekend drive to Saugatuck, MI. He hated everything about it and threw such a snit that we only stayed one night. If it had involved actually losing money on the hotel or if we'd had to fly, etc. I'd just told him to lump it.
And I can guess why........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel