Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:12 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

There's a difference between not having the means to travel and not seeing any value in travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
In case anyone thought that I was kidding or just trying to create a troll thread, that was not my intention. When I was a little kid, I looked at an atlas for a long time every day, and I had an actual interest of wanting to go to a lot of these places. But being in a place always turns out to be more disappointing than the image I've created about the place, and that I learn more about cultures from watching Youtube videos or talking to people from other places who have moved to where I live than I do from actually going to those other places.
You've got issues! Stop building things up in your little head. You need to get out of the basement and actually see things.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalfire View Post
I don't have the money for hotels at several hundred dollars a night, don't have money for plane flights or even a lot of gas for the car, don't enjoy restaurants (with food that often disagrees with my health issues) and certainly don't want to pay good money to leave town, spend the night(s) sick in a strange hotel room, and certainly don't want to climb mountains for the view or anything of the sort. After you say 'wow' you have to climb back down again. Extrapolated out to Mt. Everest, lots of people die doing just that, something like one out of seven, including the human mules that are hired to take supplies up and back.
Who said anything about traveling to another continent? Who said anything about expensive hotels? Motel 6 exists for a reason as do cabins, campers, and tents. You don't have to fly to sightsee. Doesn't have to cost much in gas either. Get out and see your town and county. Start there.

One thing we do a lot is spend the day or evening at our local state parks. When we spend the day, we bring our lunch and dinner. No worries about who can eat what then! We we spend an evening, we bring dinner from a restaurant - could be subs, fried chicken, etc. Nothing fancy. Traveling doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You've got issues! Stop building things up in your little head. You need to get out of the basement and actually see things.
1. My house doesn't have a basement.

2. I've actually been to 37 states and two other countries, so it's not like I haven't actually tried travelling. I just haven't found any additional value going to those places than I could've found online, so I feel like it's been a big waste of money.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:28 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
OK, you've established that you don't value travel.

What was the question again?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:31 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The OP also doesn't have a girlfriend because he once saw a picture of Kate Upton.
This statement is not true, but I would like to say that a large portion of society is having less sex because they realize that they'll never have anything as enjoyable as what they see people do on the internet. I'm just surprised that it hasn't happened as much for travelling as it has for sex.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:36 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
This statement is not true, but I would like to say that a large portion of society is having less sex because they realize that they'll never have anything as enjoyable as what they see people do on the internet. I'm just surprised that it hasn't happened as much for travelling as it has for sex.
Wow. Well, you said it, but that doesn't make it true. If anything it speaks more to internet addiction and its probable connection to social isolation...

Old 03-26-2017, 04:45 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
I don't understand why more people aren't against sex or traveling. I mean the no-fap rule exists to encourage people to not orgasm. Why isn't there a group of people that encourages people to stay home, not travel and to just just enjoy the things around them.

For instance, why do you have to travel half-way across the world to have a sense of wonderment, when you can have that same sense of wonderment in your own neighborhood, in the grocery stores that you visit. In your very house. Make showering an adventure. Why do you have to spend money or leave the house or neighborhood or city?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Getting tired of traveling or considering it a waste of time is like saying your tired of sex.

Why wouldn't it be a waste of time if someone is obsessed with traveling, but spends an inordinate amount of money doing it (like enough where they don't have a house or savings). It's not just that, but why does it have to be more entertaining than other activities? Could it be that as society we have glorified traveling to an extent that it's bigger than it actually is? Is there any logical reason for why traveling to a place is better than just looking at the picture. I mean, does it really make a difference if you just see it in person? Maybe it creates a better memory? I mean space enthusiasts look at pictures of galaxies and they're just as happy, even though they're not actually looking at the galaxies.

It's not just about if it makes a difference. It obviously is different being there, but the issue is, is it a waste of time. Why does it have to bring happiness? How many times do you have to travel until you say, "nah, I'm not interested." How many mountains do you have to climb until you say, "I think I've had enough." This is a common thing that happens with people that have traveled a lot, where they just stop caring. Like celebrities. Also, it seems like telling stories about where you've been seems to be a big part of traveling. All of these travelers, love talking about what they've done. Almost as if that's a big reason to go. Just to have stories to tell. Why can't you just tell stories about what you did today at home? Why is that any less interesting than your travel to Timbuktu?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
1. My house doesn't have a basement.

2. I've actually been to 37 states and two other countries, so it's not like I haven't actually tried travelling. I just haven't found any additional value going to those places than I could've found online, so I feel like it's been a big waste of money.
Quote:
Man oh man do you have issues! Thank god the rest of the planet doesn't share your brain. Sounds like you need to step away from the computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel